HeatShield sun shade

ICPete

I'm looking for a quality sun shade to put in my windshield while my truck bakes in the Arizona sun all winter.

I came across the HeatShield company who makes one for the Gen 2 VNL Volvo trucks. I corresponded with the factory and was told that model is about 29.25" tall by about 80" wide (tapering to narrower near the top).

I measured my Gen 1 windshield as about 27.25" tall by about 76" wide, tapering to about 74" wide near the top; adding an inch due to the curve of the glass, the proper width would appear to be about 77", tapering to 75" near the top.

Before I order the HeatShield to these dimensions, would someone having a Gen 2 Volvo please measure the straight-across width of your windshield (interior side), near the bottom and near the top? (IOW, don't try to make your tape measure follow the curve of the glass-- just measure straight across, to compare apples to apples)

I want to make sure they don't purposely make it oversize; plus I'm now curious whether the Gen 2 windshield is really that much bigger than the Gen 1!

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

You're putting it outside, right? Inside, the heat is already thru the glass. I make these all the time for boats. Most of mine are 90% sun reduction mesh, so you can see out but not in. And incidentally, that's what I make my slide toppers out of. No pond, no flap, & that's no s*** !

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I use the Heatshield one in my truck and they fit great.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Sibernut have you ever been in an area where it freezes? I need to replace my slide toppers and am considering the mesh but we occasionally go visit the kids and it gets a freezing rain. I can envision not being able to roll it up.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Cee Bailey make sun shades for aircraft and some cars. I had a set for a Toyota Sienna minivan I used to have and LOVED them! They're basically just the aluminum clad bubble wrap that can be bought in 25' rolls at Lowes / Home Depot. Cee Bailey had a nice fabric piping sewn onto the edges and included a nylon bag to hold the rolled up shades when they weren't being used. When I had a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, I easily made sun shades for the windshield from said roll of aluminum clad bubble wrap. I left the edges as they were. I used newspaper sheets to make a template of the windshield and then, after cutting to size, had to cut a notch for the rear view mirror. Not a snazzy as the Cee Bailey product but, a good deal less expensive. http://store.ceebaileys.com/category-s/777.htm

Archived