Fort Davis, tx

HY 118 out of Fort Davis back to HY 10 is this an ok trip for a blind man driving an over weight 90' motorhome pulling mother in law quarters?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

I did it once. The next time, it was down to Marfa and Hwy 90 to i-10.

Newt

So I take it that is not a comfortable ride? Steep Grades and Switch Backs?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Did it last year in the 4-runner 118 to 116 loop and the 118 part would be a little climb to the Observatory(which you should stop and see MH in and out for towing EZ). Nothing on the 118 I would be afraid of towing and to the 118 116 junction is fine so the rest to 10 is low country. I would not do the MH from the visitor center to the top. Have you done Fort Davis itself, one of the best reconstruction I've seen.

LEN

HY 118 out of Fort Davis back to HY 10 is this an ok trip for a blind man driving an over weight 90' motorhome pulling mother in law quarters?

That is a steep, curvy road with lots and lots of turns. Great for a morning drive, but I'd never do it with an RV.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Did it last year in the 4-runner 118 to 116 loop and the 118 part would be a little climb to the Observatory(which you should stop and see MH in and out for towing EZ). Nothing on the 118 I would be afraid of towing and to the 118 116 junction is fine so the rest to 10 is low country. I would not do the MH from the visitor center to the top. Have you done Fort Davis itself, one of the best reconstruction I've seen.

Do you mean a loop from Ft. Davis to 166 and then 166 back to Ft. Davis? Looking I'm unable to find a 116. We haven't spent time there yet but are planning a trip.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since you don't give any specific info about your rig it is hard to say.

Here are the realities of the route:

-- Ft Davis to the observatory: a fairly steep climb. I don't know the grade, but probably is about 6-7%. The steep part of the climb is about 2-4 miles long. This is the easy part

-- Once you pass the observatory, the road narrows and has some very sharp blind corners. You will NOT be able to stay on your side of the double yellow line w/o having your rear wheels off the pavement. The good news is, there is usually very little traffic.

I have driven a 40' diesel pusher on this route. I did cross over the center line of the road by quite a bit. Over the years I had driven this road in a car or truck several times, so I knew what I was getting into.

It is not an easy drive in an RV over about 25' long. Use your best judgment.

It is not that far out of the way to go up SR-17 to I-10 and then head west.

Or better yet, go southwest out of Ft Davis on SR-166 to RM-505 to US-90 and Valentine. Then follow US-90 to Van Horn. This is an easy drive and fairly scenic desert country.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

K

Do you mean a loop from Ft. Davis to 166 and then 166 back to Ft. Davis? Looking I'm unable to find a 116. We haven't spent time there yet but are planning a trip.

Kirk-

I am sure that he meant 166. Simply missed a digit. Not hard to figure out since it is literally the ONLY road that makes a loop back to Fort Davis from 118 unless you go all of the way up to IH-10.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived