Anyone use VA for non-va prescriptions?

Kirk W

I'm wondering if anyone here regularly takes prescriptions from a non-VA doctor to the VA for filling? I have been using the VA for primary physician and maintenance prescriptions for several years and do have dropped my Medicare Part D, drug coverage. Since I still have both Medicare and an employer supplied supplement I have the option of using an outside doctor for some things. Anyone here doing this and familiar with the process to get prescriptions filled?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just looked into getting the VA to fill some outside scripts and the process is, I have to have to get the outside doctor write a paper script and bring to my primary care doctor at the VA and they will see what the VA equivalent is. When I talked to my Doctor about it she said that it was as quick and easy as they could make it but still a bit of a pain.

Gary & Maryanne

SKP #131724

2021 Grand Design Solitude 375RES-R

2018 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummings Diesel

I have always been told that the VA will not fill perscriptions from outside the VA. Thus having your VA primary look at it and concur on diagnosis then write a new perscription within the VA would probably be the only way it would work.

There is a way for VA doctors to write for non generic meds but it the particular Dr. must know about it and be willing to justify it through the system. Obviously they are under pressure not to do this.

The VA here also refused here to write a paper prescription for me to take to the base for my regular Naproxin prescription strength. I had to discontinue their scripts and go back to my GP for scripts to take to the base. Now if we were on the road we might do the mail scripts. But we aren't, and we are near both a regional VA, and a major USAF active duty B-52 base. So we have either option for the actual filling of prescriptions. For retirees it is not a good deal if near a base most of the time.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Rv, each VA may have its own policy but I am fairly certain they can do it. The trick is getting to the right person and pushing. Have you spoken to a patient advocate? Of course even then it is a case of one that is willing and knowledgeable. Here in Albuquerque I have had to resort to the the patient advocate multiple times unfortunatley and at least once or twice it was in regard to perscriptions written for outside the VA. One time just 10 minutes after dealing with the nurse I went to the advocate and amazingly it got handled immediatly after the advocate speaking to her the problem was solved. Here we have a total of 4 advocate now vs 2 in the past and all but one seem to do their best to solve problems. The one is from the old era and not very effective. I have had some resistance at the Memphis VA on occaision in the past but not always. Just depends on who you are dealing with.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I have Tricare so the VA is not necessary. I did use them a few times while fulfilling. But with standard I can use any doc I want. Scripts no copay on base. No hassles.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Glad to hear you have something that works for you. I'm retired DOD and X-mil w/ no provable service connected disability. I have co-insurance that picks up part of my co-pays and required me to get ongoing meds through their mail order based on a 90 supply. It is actually cheaper for me that way by several hundred dollars per year than using VA pharmacy. Sometimes it is a challenge normally getting the script from the VA and correctly. One of the ones that seems to cause the biggest problem is Warfarin. A new problem just happened as I have a new script that was included in the new ones that I requested to be sent to General Delivery , Cedar Crest, NM. For some reason it was sent UPS next day air and they left off General Delivery. It promptly got lost in the system. Luckily I just checked before getting on line here and it was found after a week and I should get it Monday. Part of the problem seems to have been that UPS would not deliver to that P.O. without a street address even though they have a "last mile" contract that this P.O. falls under. Seems like it always something that should be simple getting screwed up doesn't it.

Yep Jim, they sure do do that! ;)

I am 30% Disabled vet but despite the in town AF base and VA, I stay Tricare standard - my civilian doc has the new computer prescription system but the base manages to lose them, and the base pharmacy requires that we go and "hurry up and wait " to confirm the prescription before they begin to process it. It is more time effective to just get the paper prescription. I did not like the VA forcing meds on me that I did not want, nor would to take. I decide if the benefit outweighs the risks, not my doc. That is what my GP does. We sit and discuss my options and I always opt for no drugs not necessary to amble through the day. Until now I avoided any narcotics. I saw the addicts of all ranks and walks of life as a medic and counselor in a well health college clinic, and it is worse today than the news can get across. Every family here has at least one family or extended family member who is a drug user. :o

My wife is caring for her dad who is fading fast and has Alzheimer's and dementia, but he still has lucid days half the time.

Next month she cares for me and he, and our property. Thank goodness she is in great shape. I'll only have a six week or so recovery, and full within about three months. I did not need the steel installed. I can hire out the lawn and leaves this winter. I already seeded the new drainage with winter rye grass for erosion control of the new drainage, put in culverts and concrete caps as well as redid the drainage swale across my yard to the natural drain with a dozer and track hoe. Next week our custom porches front and sides get built on the "new last year" house with covers. So everything I can do is going to be done before my Laser Spinal Institute experience. I could have saved several thousand dollars in trip costs for the pretests, and now the 14 days for the cervical and the lumbar surgeries five days apart, by having the local surgeons or the VA do them. But at my age, 64, I need minimal recovery and tissue trauma for a quicker recovery by far.

Funny thing, the contractor doing the porches is 14 years my junior and had Laser Spine do his lumbar surgery and he is one of their many success stories. He couldn't say enough to tell me I made a great decision. I will keep all here informed about it as I am sure some others might be curious about them too. ;)

Besides, my kids are getting more than they ever expected when we both are gone. Next May I turn 65 and go TFL with no copays just the $100 bucks a month part B. So I doubt we will go bankrupt over medical bills, but ya never know. My two year younger brother died suddenly six years ago of a massive heart attack and was dead before he hit the floor. He ran and was trim and drank little and did not smoke. I am now almost ten years older and have been in hazardous environments, smoked three packs a day when I quit, and did not exercise due to my back after retirement. I ski'd and Scuba'd for years but had to give them up about six years ago too. I walked a bit since but even that is difficult now. If I can lose the weight gained after I quit smoking and get back to a very active lifestyle without going overboard I will be thrilled. I am still able more than dis-abled, but I was heading for a wheelchair without some surgical help with the back and neck.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

It must be that the primary doctor is a major part of the issue of getting outside doctor's prescribed medications through the VA. I spoke with mine when I was at the office on Monday and she indicated that in most cases she would approve the VA's equivalent medication as long as the doctor prescribing it was willing to share his records & reasons with her. I think that it may also help that we are far enough from the nearest full service VA medical facility that the VA now approves many procedures being performed by a local clinic or surgeon. After my visit, my primary doctor called the orthopedic doctor I visited and has now written a VA prescription for what they agreed was appropriate. I guess I am fortunate that both doctors were willing to cooperate. :)

Thanks for all of the responses.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You are correct that the first line to cross is with the primary. Some have no problem in writing for outside, some are resistant, and some are not even aware they can do it. If that doesn't work you can move up the food chain maybe starting with a chat with a patient advocate. Some VA's may have a policy to not do it if they can avoid it since it is a little more time consuming than just typing it into the computer or some other reason.

I finally got the one that was lost in UPS and I will call and talk to them about the one that was supposed to be refrigerated and see how that will work out. All because someone somewhere left off the middle part of the the address. (C/O General Delivery) I have been told that if you use the actuall street address (ie; 123 Main ST) on the line below General Delivery it could help. As long an no one leaves off part of it.

Archived