Automation vs MCD shades

SIBERNUT

Do you mean Auto-Motion shades, vs MCD??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I retrofitted my rig a few years back with the MCD shades. They have worked out nicely. I went with the duo" style.

Two separate shades, one being a "solar" daytime shade that blocks the sun but is still "see through" and the second shade is a total "black out" style for night time use. Mine are manual " pull down" and were easy to install.

I went with manual MCD Duo Shades too about 4 years ago. Of the 7 I installed, 3 aren't working properly now. I have to use a clamp to keep one of the shades down. The other two need to be hand rolled up. I have readjusted all 3 per MCD instructions, but after a few months they go out of whack again.

I'm very sorry that I just didn't restring my original shades. No more MCD for me.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We have used MCD shades in various rigs for many years...going back to the 2003 era, when we were the first towable they ever installed shades on.

We still use MCD, but New Horizons has gone to another vendor. For various reasons, including what is noted above. If I was specing shades for a new rig I'd likely choose someone else at this point. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There is also Irvine Shade and Door. irvineshadeanddoor,com. We had them installed to years ago and are well pleased. Not as expensive as MDC. We have the double shade-day shade, night shade and not electric. They really do keep the cold out and the warm in. Well worth the money.

Carol

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

We have a combo of MCD electric /w remote control and manual. If I were doing it again I would go with electric and a wall switch. Remote is working fine for a couple of years but have had RF interference in the past. I like MCD but have not had experience with others. As stated MCD is a little pricey.

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

We had nine MCD shades - the two in front of the windshield were electric. They were installed at the factory in TX.

During the next three years after they were installed, two motors failed and three shades started requiring adjustment every few weeks, They would go up super fast or very slowly and not all the way up.

As far as I am concerned, as expensive as they were none of that should have happened in three years or ten years for that matter.

MCD would not stand behind them after the one year warranty. The best they would do was give me a small discount on replacements.

When working they were a great addition to our motor home though.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Besides 'which' of the manufactures to choose, probably just important is the 'who' you have for the installer.

We spent the same money for Automotions, which about a year of owning have worked well, but the measurer and the later the installer, did a less then stellar job. Had them replace the front windscreen, but even the replacement is not all that slick of an install (5-6" on the curves of the glass, where it is opened. Not so worried about the privacy, as much as I am the the loss of heating overnight, and added heat gain when the front shades is down.

One other thing I'm not real pleased with, is that he 'day time' shade, is almost so dark you can't see out of it. And we went with the one that was supposed to have been the best. Seeing MCD's, they seem to have day time screening that allows better visibility out from the inside.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Tks for all the input. We have vertical blinds across the rear windows, and neither mfr makes any to match their shades. What do you do about the bottoms not being fastened down like we have now? They just flop while driving or?

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

MCD put pieces of fuzzy Velcro on the bottom backside. They flop back and forth but don't make noise.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

We installed a full coach of MCD a few years ago. One decided to not latch in the down position, another broke at the attachment point. A call to MCD resulted in zero parts because they don't support that shade anymore.I only needed one shade not both but you have to buy the complete assembly.I was offered a 10% discount but that discount on a $400 shade didn't sit well with me.

We replaced all of them with the Automotion shades and are very happy. You will find that the Automotion shades are of a more robust construction. I should note that we have the manual shades as I believe in having things simple. The material on the Automotion shades is also of better quality then MCD

Archived