Seat Belt Nuts

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on my truck. I needed to remove a seat belt from a 2012 VNL 630 on the passenger side of the truck. Guess what happened after 4 or 5 rotations of the ratchet. One got it, the nut broke loose under the cab. Now I have a BIG problem. Do you think that the rest of the nuts will break loose ? I need to remove more seat belt bolts. The nut on the bottom side of the cab is square. An open end wrench does nut like to stay in place for some reason. The seat belt nut is in a channel under the cab. The nut seems to measure 3/4". The next plan is to try to use a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter on a breaker bar. My neighbor is helping me. This has become a two man job. I do not want to use a cut off wheel or grinder inside the cab because of the grinding dust.

Open for ideas,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

You have probably already tried this but it is worth saying. Get your biggest vice grips. Clamp them on the head of the bolt inline with the bolt. Then put a big adjustable wrench on the vice grips to hold the bolt.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Maybe an offset jaw nut splitter? One like this that you could rotate the splitting wedge 90 degrees so it would drop into the channel.

On Amazon, something similar should be something available locally.

https://smile.amazon.com/OTC-4576-Universal-C-Frame-Splitter/dp/B000KSTCGU/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1469547121&sr=8-35&keywords=nut+cracker+tool

51LaHChZWmL._SL1100_.jpg

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I have one of those nut splitters, by K-D tools. It works okay, but a hammer and chisel is faster, and easier to get in tight places.

Soak the rest of the nuts with a penetrating oil a couple of hours ahead of trying to loosen. Forget WD-40. It's good for removing chewing gum, and little else.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The caged nut is no longer caged. Just grind the head off the bolt and install a regular bolt in it's place. These are used to speed production assembly with no concern for future problems. If the nut cannot be accessed, then we go to plan B.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Since the square nut is in a channel, just slide a piece of anything between it's flat and the channel to fill the gap and go back up top and continue with your rachet.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Hi Everybody,

Good news to report. With the help of my neighbor, I was able to get the nut removed. I went under the truck with an open end wrench and was able to get ahold of the nut. The nut is over top of the drive shaft. My neighbor was inside the cab with a breaker bar. We did not want to use an impact gun because of the fear that the nut would slip of the wrench. Now I have a few more bolts to remove. Will start a new thread about bolts with lock tight.

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived