Batteries in the Winter; Other Tips

brunsje

Folks,

I am planning to begin some winter trips in the near future, likely heading as far North as Glacier on the Canadian Border.

Temps on average are 30 degrees for a high and 10 degrees for a low. The record cold was minus 36 degrees.

There are several potential problem areas I would like your help to figure out?

1. How to care for Truck Batteries beyond normal charging? Do you use heating blankets?

2. How to care for my 6VDC Motorhome Batteries? Heating Blankets? Run a Light Bulb into the area?

3. Any special care for the Windshield Washing system?

4. Is there a temperature that it is just to much effort to put up with the challenges?

My only exposed water items in the service bays are the Black and Gray Tanks which have Electric Thermostatically Controlled Blankets on them and short runs of water tubing on the potable water system. My potable water tanks and lines are inside the coach? Do you use electric tape and insulation on these lines?

Thanks, JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Years ago when I used to read trucking magazines, I remember an article about drivers who'd haul jet fuel to Alaska mining sites during the winter (over the ice roads) so planes could fly out all year long. Trucks would run for 2-6 weeks straight, only shutting down the engine for oil changes. At truck stops, park on level ground and do NOT set the parking brake for fear it'll freeze to the drum. Carry extra wool hats and put them on filters to keep them from freezing. Hopefully, you're not heading into that kind of cold. ;)

I haven't written it up yet, but my recirculation setup for potable water easily got me another 30 degrees colder without stuff freezing. Down to about -20 hasn't caused any problems, other than a lot of electricity consumption. If you're going to be in prolonged cold, without getting above freezing during the day, you're probably more likely to see trouble on the waste water side of things--traps and tank drain lines freezing. As far as the truck itself, I've started mine at 10 below without any trouble, not doing anything to the batteries other than keeping them charged. And that's with only 3 batteries.

As for the house batteries, where are they located? If you're going to be putting big loads on them (e.g. running a microwave) I'd be really careful if they aren't kept warm.

Wiper fluid should be good to -40.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Would I need 'snow tires' for the Truck? I figure I would avoid the use of chains by staying put until the raids are cleared.

Do commercial truckers use snow tires? I know they carry chains on the back of the cab.

JohnnyB

Jacksonville Beach, FL

I would carry either a set of chains or the tire socks just in case. It is cheap insurance. In some areas they may be mandatory.

It sounds like you will be changing locations while you are in the cold. Do your heaters for your tanks run off of 12 volt or 110 volt? If 12 volt, you will not be able to shut your truck off as the amount of power needed for the heaters may drain your batteries too quick. If 110 volt, how will you keep the heaters running while traveling?

Our suggestion would be to winterize the units water system and use other means. We kept a jug of RV antifreeze to use when flushing the toilet in the rare times it had to be used.

You may also find that the windows and wall insulation will cause moisture problems. We used the window plastic that you apply and use a heat gun to stretch it. It helped some.

We went thru a lot of propane and fuel for the generator and that was for only weekend travels to winter car shows. You may want to carry an extra propane tank and extra fuel for your generator along with extra blankets (we found an electric blanket worked great when we had 110v or the generator running).

Be sure to use up all your summer diesel fuel, use winter blend or if it gets real bad use #1 diesel. Also pick up some additive in case your fuel lines freeze or gel up.

Your best bet is to avoid areas where the temperature does not get below freezing for any length of time. Also when it gets to -40 it does not matter if it is C or F as they are equal at that temperature. It is just darn cold.

Also most campgrounds will be closed once it gets too cold.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Folks,

I am planning to begin some winter trips in the near future, likely heading as far North as Glacier on the Canadian Border.

Temps on average are 30 degrees for a high and 10 degrees for a low. The record cold was minus 36 degrees.

Snow-birding dine wrong.

There are several potential problem areas I would like your help to figure out?

1. How to care for Truck Batteries beyond normal charging? Do you use heating blankets?

Keepthem charged. They don't need any blankies, but the use of one 1'2 a day before starting will give them a little more kick.

2. How to care for my 6VDC Motorhome Batteries? Heating Blankets? Run a Light Bulb into the area?

Again, keep them on the top 25% of charged, IE, if you have a 400 ahr bank, keep it above 300 ahr left.

3. Any special care for the Windshield Washing system?

Use winter fluid, before you get to the cold area. Flush all the way to the spray nozzles. You can smell a difference when the lines are cleared.

4. Is there a temperature that it is just to much effort to put up with the challenges?

Right around sustained daytime temps below 32.

My only exposed water items in the service bays are the Black and Gray Tanks which have Electric Thermostatically Controlled Blankets on them and short runs of water tubing on the potable water system. My potable water tanks and lines are inside the coach? Do you use electric tape and insulation on these lines?

The heating pads MAY keep the tanks liquid, but the lines to the waste dumps will likely be slushies, preventing or delaying dumps. If in the area for prolonged periods, this can be an issue.

Thanks, JohnnyB

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Would I need 'snow tires' for the Truck? I figure I would avoid the use of chains by staying put until the raids are cleared.

Do commercial truckers use snow tires? I know they carry chains on the back of the cab.

Go with this plan. Buy the cheapest, lightest chains you can find. Build time into the schedule for some long delays. If you've never driven with chains, it isn't the time to learn when you're pressed for time. Speeds are restricted, distances are restricted. and time will shrink.

JohnnyB

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Johnny,

As previously detailed, your batteries may not provide the needed cranking amperage to start a diesel engine with thick oil and fuel at the temps you expect to encounter. If your batteries are fully charged (SG=1.280) when you shut down they will not freeze until about -95 degrees. Unfortunately, your vehicle charging system, combined with battery age, will be doing a good job if it can get your batteries to 85%. With a lesser charge - example 62% - they can freeze at -16. It doesn't take much use at sub zero temps to discharge a lead-acid battery enough to put it at the danger of freezing level. I've never stayed in an area that cold (and I don't ever plan too :) ) Two other possibilities come to mind - (1) Synthetic engine oil should give less surface resistance and easier engine cranking than conventional 10W-40. (2) Replace one of your starting batteries with an ultra capacitor bank. The ultra capacitor should charge to about 14 volts from the engine alternator while driving. Unlike lead-acid batteries, the ultra cap will provide the same amount of power at sub zero temps as it does at 85 degrees F. They are not cheap, but are the best option for stored power at the temps you expect. You may find some more reasonable pricing on eBay ( <- just an example) than from a commercial retail vendor - but note that many are sourced from China.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

As a person who makes his living trucking "up here" in all kinds of awful weather I have a very serious question for you. Why would you want to do something like this?

Most "four season" RVs are really designed for four seasons (in Florida)!

Tire chains suck!

Fingers freeze!

As a matter of fact, everything freezes!

Glacier is beautiful.....in the summer. Winter time everything is closed

you should consider the reason us people "up here" want to go "down there" in the winter

I highly recommend the "more research" idea

As a person who makes his living trucking "up here" in all kinds of awful weather I have a very serious question for you. Why would you want to do something like this?

Most "four season" RVs are really designed for four seasons (in Florida)!

Tire chains suck!

Fingers freeze!

As a matter of fact, everything freezes!

Glacier is beautiful.....in the summer. Winter time everything is closed

you should consider the reason us people "up here" want to go "down there" in the winter

I highly recommend the "more research" idea

Completely agree!!! I have lived in Alberta for most of my life. The past 8 winters have been in AZ for a reason.

Unless you have experienced what -40 is, and it can happen anytime from October on and know how to deal with frozen and broken everything I would recommend a September trip. Scenery and fall colors are incredible.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Even though I'd trust Randy to build me up an ultracap and charger, you really don't want to go down that route unless you are good at that kind of thing and know your truck well. I've built some cool trucks that'll jumpstart themselves from a MagLite, but there was the one in 08 where I fried every cab ECU, both door modules, a cluster, and even melted the guts completely out of the Ultrashift beeper. :ph34r: What you want is the Engine Start Module where it is all prepackaged and ready. You still have a bit of starter & firewall wiring to do but it takes a lot of the potential issues right out of it. They work well and most any truck dealer has one nowadays. If you are in Texas or Louisiana you ask to get "the blue battery". Don't ask, cuz I don't know....... :wacko:

How one of my newer (non ultracap) trucks charges and settles:

d9545d8f-dcad-49df-beda-271b5b38c2ff_zps

Thanks for the feedback! I will adjust me driving locations along the ~30 degree daytime highs line! I have a more realistic understanding of the extreme cold now with your help!!

JohnnyB

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Archived