Painting a fiver

SIBERNUT

I'm considering having my Newmar painted this year. Mark Bruss used Precision & is happy. Anyone use a shop closer to the east coast, or no further than Elkhart/Bremen ? Pls reply w/ good OR bad, PM me if you'd rather. TKS!!

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

In 2012 we had Mike's Custom Painting in Bremen, IN paint our fifth wheel. Since then two HitchHiker friends had Mike's paint theirs, another is scheduled for September and two others are considering getting theirs painted too. Several happy RVers. Greg

http://www.mikescustompaintinginc.com/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I have the skill and the desire to do the job myself. But have you ever tried to rent a fiver-sized spray booth? I'd sooner do it w/ a 3/8" nap roller & Dutch Boy w/o a real booth.

"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

dolphins.jpg

I have painted outside before. Yea not a good idea .

Timing the weather, job and your time can get interesting

A few years ago I painted some parts that cover the storage area on the bed. Sprayed them, cleaning up then moved then to be under the awning of our camper.

Picked the rod to pull the awning out and rolled the awning out,,, Da--- bird sh. T on the new paint while flying over. Unbelievable that he had that timed right. Let stuff cure washed off the crap. No one sad anything about the odd spotts on the panel.

Last year painted the flailing for our Volvo on a flatbed trailer beside the 5r. Worked good.

Time the actual painting as soon as it is warm enough, no dew on things. That way it gives some time for the paint to cure before the flying bugs appear.

One time in Florida I was clear coating the roof of a 40 motor home. Had 3/4 of the thing painted. Big drops of rains started to fall. Pulled it under cover. The cloud and rain came from woods across the street so no time to see it.

The rain quit just as fast as it started. Sun and heat dried the water off very fast. Just added some thinner to the clear coat to start where there were imperfections.

It was not the best job but it is still on there after about 4 years.

Sometimes one has to improvise with the conditions you are working in

With money saved you could buy a lot of fuel.

. If we were back east we do it together and both get our 5RS Both painted.

Safe Travels, Vern

Now Ron you have thinking. Build a support that would cover a section of the roof, maybe 24' wide with2x4 . Make it so you could move it easy. Maybe cover 16' at a time . Put heavy clear plastic on top so light will will show through.

Then cover the sides with some kind of screen so you can see, there is ventilation and push it out of the way as needed.

With will power one could do a decent job that way.

With modern paint it is best to do top coat over base coat with in a given time frame. That would be extremely had to do with no help and not in a controlled conditions.

Safe Travels, Vern

Sibernut Are you a Bubblehead? I was on sub tenders for 30 years working on fast attacks and boomers. Now to the serious stuff.This spring we painted my 98 610 front bumper, fairings, and the rear box in my back yard so it was ready fir the ECR. Looked good. With the new paints you can paint a lot in a hurry but you need to be sure to follow the MFG procedures. I know of a paint booth here in Norfolk that will hold a big 5er and can be rented at a decent price. Have a great day and don't spill the paint! Pat

The Old Sailor

USS Irex 482 67-69

If you have a place to do it outside, that's the solution. Or even a barn w/dirt floor. But here near Baltimore I have the DNR & neighbors. Second, here in MD you have to shoot water based HVLP. All my experience is solvent based and Binks #7.

Clint Eastwood said "...it's a smart man that knows his limitations".

"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

dolphins.jpg

I like both Mikes and Precision. Although I do know someone who had Precision shoot their truck and they did a crap job.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

USS Irex 482 67-69

If you have a place to do it outside, that's the solution. Or even a barn w/dirt floor. But here near Baltimore I have the DNR & neighbors. Second, here in MD you have to shoot water based HVLP. All my experience is solvent based and Binks #7.

There isn't much difference in the spray pattern. The HVLP guns gravity feed so the amount of paint flow is very easy to control. 1 thing to remember about the new water base paints, is that if you live and work in a high humidity area, its very very easy to make it run ......like water.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Precision did the original factory full body paint on our 2013 Redwood, and overall I must say that I'm pleased with the job that they did.

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm in Bremen about once a month for my job (which actually has nothing to do with RVs). Always fun seeing whats sitting outside the paint shops. I'm sure I've probably seen more than one of your rigs. Last time, there was a GORGEOUS 45' 5r in tans....sitting right next to a couple lime green mini-buses. What a contrast!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Jeff, am I missing any good shops on my list? Ever stop and look up close, and what shop's graphic designs seem to be the nicest? Tks!

I'll be there 23 & 24

AS far as Bremen goes, I think that's it. No, I'm usually too busy while I'm there to even slow down! I think both have a very good rep.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

USS Irex 482 67-69

With modern urethane paints working outside can give results as nice as those achieved in a spray booth. A wayward bug or dust speck can be sanded out with 2000 grit paper and buffed to look like a mirror. VOC 2.8 paints with conventional solvent base are OK in Virginia and widely available on-line.

I recently painted the cap on our fiver outdoors, put on new graphics and clear coated everything. The total cost was right around $18,000.00. The paint and supplies were about $200, the rest was for the hospital, surgeon and operating room to patch me back up after I fell. Let the pros do it unless you have some darn good scaffolding to spray anything over 6 feet from the ground.

break%20side%20view%20july.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived