Motorcycle vs Golfcart

DFLOW

We just retired and are about to embark on our first adventure as full time RV'ers. We have a gas golf cart, and an on/off road motorcycle. We can only haul one. We are leaving Florida next month, and heading northwest, hoping to hit Montana, Idaho, and southern California. Then we will work our way back to Florida. We are doing everything spontaneous with no real plans or time constraints, and hopefully staying mostly in national parks, and RV resorts. Not having travelled yet, we have no idea how much use we would get out of either golf cart or mc. Any opinions on all of this would be appreciated.

Need more data. What vehicle will you use to get around when you are setup at a park? How much do you use the bike and cart now? The cart will be fine on golf courses and some RV parks, but for outside the parks, forget it. This ain't "The Villages" out here. The bike will be useful for traveling the great roads out west. After 3 long trips out west, I plan to buy a dual sport for our CO trip next year. My Gold Wing just isn't made for gravel roads.

I live near Melbourne, Fl and rarely ride in Fla. The roads are flat, straight, and the drivers suck. When traveling for 4 - 6 months a year, I have easily put 12K or more on the bike, especially out west where the riding and scenery are FANTASTIC!! Been out for 3 months so far and already put over 7K on the bike. Lots of that was in TN and KY where the back roads are superb. OH, MI and WI roads are pretty lousy with pot holes and broken up concrete.

Without more details it is difficult to answer your question, sorry. I will share with you what we do here in South Texas for the winters. We have a four seater gas golf cart and use it daily. We ride it around our park which is approved and we can ride it on the beach and go into town which is also legal. We are restricted to roads with a 35 mph speed limit or less. We must buy a local license and have proof of insurance. We also must buy a golf cart sticker from our resort. DW likes the cart and uses it a lot, but she would never ever ride on a motorcycle. So the answer will depend on where you go, what will be permitted or legal and how you would use it including personal preferences. Generally speaking the motorcycle is likely to be more flexible and legal in more places but have less seating and carry capacity. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Well, like you we rarely ride in Florida. It is too hot, too dangerous, too boring. We have a rv/condo lot in Salt Springs that we are going to call home. Here we use the golf cart a lot. Our main vehicle is a dually diesel that we pull a 39' toy hauler with. The cart is street legal (has a tag) etc. We will also be taking mountain bikes as we love to ride trails. The motorcycle is a 650 V-Strom, and is a GREAT bike for touring. Your comment was already VERY helpful-THANKS! We were suspecting that once we get out west we will enjoy the bike. I guess if we don't take the cart we would get around the parks in the truck, mc, or mountain bikes.

All opinions and info greatly appreciated, as we are wrestling with this decision.

We went to the Villages to visit some friends several years ago. When we pulled in there was a big sign that said, "This is a GOLF CART community, GOLF CARTS have the right of way." :D Our friends had two golf carts, one for riding around the Villages and shopping etc and the other for actually playing golf! Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

There are some communities in the west that allow golf carts and such on surface streets. That said; much of the rural west is open country with two lane roads that aren't good for these kinds of vehicles. Many of these roads are 65 or 70 MPH with 10-20 miles between pockets of civilization.

A street legal motorcycle is a far more practical ride than a golf cart. If you want something to use as a dinghy consider a Smart car or Scion. Thunder showers are common in mountainous areas as well, an enclosed vehicle with some cargo capacity is not a bad idea.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

For the West you'll have no use for the golf cart. That's an eastern 'thing'. :) You'll have lots of fun with the bike(s). Enjoy your trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The motorcycle is a 650 V-Strom, and is a GREAT bike for touring.

The bike I plan to buy is a Vstom 1000. You will be MUCH happier with the Strom over the cart. If you and the wife enjoy motorcycle touring, there is NO question in my mind which you should take.

You'll be out there on a nice 2-lane black top and see a gravel road off to one side. You'll say to yourself, "Self, I wonder where that road goes?" With the Strom, you'll be able to find out. That is what I thought so many times last year...but my old Wing is just not the bike for it. Yes, I have had it on gravel roads MANY times, but at nearly 30 yrs old, I am afraid something might shake off and leave us stranded.

I have had many different bikes. I knew a number of very skilled bike riders that owned V-Strom's. Just food for thought: The one's that owned the 650's and those who owned the 1000's all said get the 650. I have never regretted it. It is very nimble, will carry me and my wife as fast as we want to go, and is very smooth. We aren't real heavy about 325lbs together. I am told the weight of the 1000 somewhat negates the advantages of this style of bike. I believe you gave me good advice, and we are leaning strongly in favor of taking the bike now. Just thought I would share what I learned about the V. Those Gold Wings just won't quit!

In our 4 years and still running of full timing, we have always had a motorbike with us. Started out with a Goldwing, then downsized to a VTX1300. We usually park the pickup and use the bike for all of our running around and touring. We found the Goldwing to be overkill since most of the rides were less than 100 miles and the VTX is about half the weight to manhandle. I like the 50 mpg and the fun factor of riding and we have developed good sense as to what groceries will fit into the saddle bags and T bag.

Greg

I say take the bike!

When my wife and I full timed we did not have a moto since we didnt have a good way to carry one (non-toyhauler 5th wheel) and weight was also a concern. So we travelled with two mtn bikes on top of the tv and a 50cc moped on the front (our around town vehicle and bailout plan in case we broke down in desolation). But we found ourselves wishing time and time again thaat we had an an alternative mode of transportation other than the large 2500HD, but better range and speed than the moped or bikes, which would make exploring new areas easier.

Fast forward to our current S&B life, and we now have a bumper pull toyhauler, my wife has her MC endorsement, and we have two dualsports. Mine is a WR250R, while hers is a DR200S. When we get back to full time living, those bikes will definitely come with us in a uet to be purchased 5th wheel toyhauler, no doubt. The bikes were chosen with future fulltiming in mind, as they are relatively light for street legal DS's. We also love exploring the tight suff that bigger ADV bikes wont negotiate.

We've used an ST1300 (Honda touring) in national parks in the west and feel that is the way to go and enjoy. I don't believe the cart will be useful in the areas you mentioned. Unless you have already booked your site for inside a national park, you won't have much luck just showing up. We've had at least a 30 minute ride to and fro campgrounds around Glacier Park, Montana, and most of the inner roads are long, twisty, quite steep, no shoulders to let faster traffic go by. I think the gang is saying: "Take the bike!".

I am told the weight of the 1000 somewhat negates the advantages of this style of bike.

I have thought about the 650, but the 1000 weighs only 40lbs more and has a LOT more power. For gravel and some fire roads, I don't think we'll have issues. If we were going to do more offroading, the 650 would likely be the better choice. My first choice was a BMW R1200GS, but I can't justify the cost. Now if I could find a 1983 BMW R100GS that wasn't KRAZY expensive, I would go that route.

Have friends with each. The 650 gets far superior fuel mileage, and will go farther between fills, even with a smaller tank. Have ridden both, I find the stock ergonomics of the smaller bike seem better, too. Aftermarket, and all bets are off. Both machines seem to have decent aftermarket support.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We have a electric Golf cart at our Winter RV resort that includes a Golf course. The Resort is large and we use the cart every day. We can also get to stores, restaurants, bank. It is a 15 min walk to get the mail. We no longer ride Bikes as age dictated

that we stop.We get a lot of use out of the Golf Cart.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

DFLOW,

I have read all the comments here so far and as you might figure they are directed towards your question. A side bar to your question; we have been Workamping now for 6 years and what we have found in our travels is that some parks do not allow motorized bikes, some don't allow golf carts, and some don't allow gas golf carts, and some allow propane or battery only.

As I read your post I got the impression your going to site-see your way west and work your way back to the house? Keep in mind that if your going to Workamp you will need to do some pre-planning because most RV Parks schedule their Workampers and expect you to commit to a specific number of months. You plan on staying at National Parks and you can Workamp for as little as a month in some of those.

I would also think that if you are going to spend most of you trip in remote areas of the Rocky Mountains then a Golf Cart would not be helpful. If your going to stay at RV Resorts then a Golf Cart would be useful in the Park but not outside the park. Now if your going to come down here to the RGV then you can use both in the parks and the bike in town, inspected , tagged, and insured.

Have friends with each. The 650 gets far superior fuel mileage, and will go farther between fills, even with a smaller tank. Have ridden both, I find the stock ergonomics of the smaller bike seem better, too.

Curious if your friends and/or you are riding 2-up along with saddlebags and a travel trunk. Used 650s are much easier to come by. I am just concerned about their carrying capacity and highway speeds.

We're all set up for adventure-touring. One 650 V-Strom is used by a solo rider, but he has a large tail trunk that offsets any weight savings. Both the other 650, and the 1000 are used 2-up. The 1000 users are probably 50 pounds lighter, but again tend to carry more, while the 650 couple are also taller. The taller couple also use a higher/wider windscreen. I typically run solo on a 650 XL, and have added a larger fuel tank and luggage. Both 650's will run with me all day, but get slightly better mileage. We have ridden at highway speeds all day, stopping only for fuel, but it's not our preferred Modus Operandi. In usage like this, the 1000 couple are the first to start looking for fuel, along with the other bigger bore riders. The 40 pound difference is something to bear in mind, if you plan any gravel/dirt riding. It really comes up when the traction suffers. Personally, I doubt the increased engine power is usable in our particular style of riding, but if the price was right, I'd buy one.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I carried a Yam 225 DS across the rear of our small class A It would manage two but it got used solo most of the time. I loved the off road stuff.

I am getting old and creaky and won't ride anything I can't pick up.

If I was going to tow something the size of a golf cart I think I would go with a smart car. As I am a hooligan at heart possibly the hot rod version where the rather anemic standard engine is replaced a turbo Hayabusa unit.

https://youtu.be/AgwzHJo3IXM

Mine would be free of graphics and look stock. Street sleepers rule!

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

There is a part of me that would like to leave the RV behind and just ride my KTM 1190 but two dogs and wifey keep me in line. That said, having the ability to bring your motorcycle is about as good as it gets. Ditch the golf cart, frolic in nature while you can and live a little. The golf cart will come later!

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! It really helped us in our decision making. We are planning on NOT planning. Just chasing cool days, slightly cooler nights and the beautiful places in the good old U.S.. We have no ideal where we will be staying but hope to hit National Parks etc. Considering all the feedback, we replaced the original tires on the 05 V-Strom (@3700 miles) this week. We are really enjoying this forum, and appreciate all the knowledge/experience shared.

Archived