Water Heater Leak?

dzwiss

I have a Suburban water heater. I have noticed what appears to be a leak, water coming out of the burner tube when I lam on gas. It does not do this when on electric. Could this be condensation?

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

If it is condensation, it will not be a lot of water and it will stop fairly quickly as the burner tube is heated up. Like Tom, I'd expect it to leak all of the time if it were a tank leaking, but condensation would not be more than some drops of water. If the tank fails it will leak, even when the heat source is turned off. The burner area is one of the more common locations that leaks develop so watch it closely.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Metal getting hot will twist around and if you have a hairline crack that would do it where as your elect heating element is in the water heating it slowly and fairly evenly although I see you have a newer model. Keep a very close eye on it cuz if it opens up then your in for a flood. :(

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I took some photos to an RV tech and he confirmed that it is a leak and the water heater needs replacing. I have one on order and will be heating water on top of the stove for a while. I'm glad that the shower house is just around the corner. :)

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Archived