Kidde Fire Extinguisher Check

I have a standard Kidde fire extinguisher in our motorhome, model FA10G, and today noticed that the Fill Gauge was pointing to empty. I took it off the mount, and turned it upside down... and the gauge then returned to Full. And stayed.

Reading the instructions, it states the unit must be removed from service after 12 years. The unit is 10 years old.

I am wondering if I want to replace it a little early... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Definitely foam for an RV. Much more functional and easier cleanup.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It's a personal call. Because the gauge might have had a little dry chemical buildup at the gauge, and it's reading a full charge now, doesn't mean it won't discharge properly if needed.

Dry chemical over foam? You bet!

I would jot it down as an upcoming replacement need as the budget allows, but wouldn't be terribly concerned about it failing and run right out for replacements.

Personally, I would, but that's more because I don't really have budget constrains and I'm more likely to forget if I put it off.

Jim,

I rarely see a lot about Mac the Fire Guy here any more but I'd take a look at his website for foam extinguishers. http://www.macthefireguy.com/store

I bought one of his 1.5 gallon SS400 units, and still have two big 10 pound CO2 extinguishers for my computer areas. But this is one of the things, like CO and propane alarms that we sometimes forget to maintain. Foam is best to put out a fire as it smothers it for a time enough for less chance of a restart.

A big advantage of the owner refillable foam larger units like the SS400 is the ease of filling and pressurizing as well as the ability to practice with it and not fill the area with toxic chemicals or release CO2 in the air unnecessarily. Getting the right refill water is the tricky part (electrical conductivity). So a few of the smaller ones make best sense for vehicles. I want one to fight our way out only and then fight the fire from outside if the fire cannot be contained by CO2.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Mac did a presentation at a Life on Wheels seminar in Moscow Idaho a few years back. His foam product will stick to a vertical surface. Co2 and Halon are Ok for confined spaces like a boat engine room but not out in the open. With vibration either over the road on in a boat on the water, dry chem will cake at the lowest point of the extinguisher depending on how it is stored. If not loosened up, when it comes time to use it all you get could be the propellant and no dry chem.

Foam is the way to g o.

Archived