Hwy 285, Pecos to Carlsbad.

TXiceman

We will be headed this direction in a couple of weeks and have heard that this section of road is pretty bad due to heavy oil field traffic. Wondering if anyone has been this way lately. Otherwise we head out to Vanhorn and then to Carlsbad.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We will be headed this direction in a couple of weeks and have heard that this section of road is pretty bad due to heavy oil field traffic. Wondering if anyone has been this way lately. Otherwise we head out to Vanhorn and then to Carlsbad.

Ken

We went through there about 6 weeks ago and some sections are pretty busted up. And, there are a lot of service trucks, etc. running hard along that stretch. Overall I don't know that I'd go out of my way to avoid it, but if you have an alternate route that you've used before, why not??

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We drove that stretch a little over a year ago, and from the above post it seems little has changed. Personally I will never drive that stretch again until I know for sure it has been repaved and will go (did actually a month ago) out of my way to avoid it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I think I will add some tome to that part of the trip and avoid it.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Avoid it if possible. We lost a bearing on our 5er a year ago, a day after going through Pecos, and it was not due to a lack of maintenance, had repacked them less than three months earlier. Couldn't believe the road was that neglected.

If you have to go a 100 miles, more or less, out of your way to take a different route, then just grin an bear it and take US-285. Go a little slower.

Yes, it is rough. It is not so much maintenance. The road was never designed for the huge number of heavy trucks now being driving on it. It would have to be rebuilt to higher standards to fix the problem. Unlikely that will happen any time soon.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

We drive half the route (Carlsbad to Orla) almost every day and it is horrible. Now throw in road construction on 10 miles of it with waits as long as 45 minutes and you really have a bad situation. Apart from the road being destroyed by the constant flow of all types of heavy oil/gas equipment there is the massive increase in numbers of vehicles of the workers. Like others have suggested...do whatever you have to do to avoid it. If you can come in on 285, 62 or 82 it would be much better with 285 being the most desireable.

On a positive note, we have fallen in love with the area and the people. 2 hours away you can find the cool temps of Cloudcroft (lows in the 50's) and some beautiful mountain scenery to enjoy.

Archived