MDT pricing

spindrift

With available options few and far between, is there a reliable source of information that gives you a good idea on fair market value?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

have you looked on TruckPapers.com? There are usually some there. You might also look at Wayland Long's Webpage, 2L Custom Trucks, he often has used trucks listed. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Thanks, gd. I just looked at a 2008 SC M2-106 and they want $84K for the truck...and it only has the Cummins 8.3L (ISC) engine!!

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Hi Tom

If you looking at Sport Chassis the NADA book has all years listed. There the only ones that list the M-2. This also helps when going to the bank and insurances. Other then that you’ll have to have a used M-2 appraised when not a Sport Chassis. This was one of the main reasons I went to them.

When I was looking for a truck it seemed to me that the big negative factor influencing the decision of buying MDTs is their apparent high price compared to used HDTs and LDTs. For various reasons we bought a new 2007 MDT in spite of the price. Been very happy with the truck and several years later traded the M2 106 for a M2 112 with the Detroit Diesel DD 13 engine. A towing beast that pulls our 27K Continental Coach AND stops it. If one's budget can handle the cost MDTs might be an option for those towing heavy weight rigs. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

The MDT versus HDT issue is not price alone, most HDT trucks are much nicer to drive and ride in than most MDTs, far more power and number of gears makes getting just what you need for current conditions easier in a HDT too. If not for the cab entry height I'd have been really tempted.

I did seriously consider adding a passenger-side electric elevator to spare our bad knees and my busted up shoulder but spend way more money for less truck and got the MDT. It was plenty of truck for out fiver but comparing it to a cheaper HDT didn't make us feel so good.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

For me personally the negatives or worries of a used HDT were buying a vehicle with probably 500K miles and no warranty, that would need to be singled and then up fitted to RV hauler configuration but not have the four door crew cab design of the cab that I wanted. And possibly smell like the south end of a north bound camel(cigarette). And the first time it breaks down its on my dime. Our new MDT has 500 hp and 1850 torque with six gears which seem to be enough and the ride is fine if not quite as nice as a Volvo. The few repair issues have been covered by warranty. We looked hard at DP mohos but in the end our custom built truck and trailer were still slightly cheaper than a comparable quality DP moho. As I said earlier it all boils down to budget. If we didn't have the luxury of budget then we would have probably gone the used HDT/production 5er route. If I ever get another truck I might consider a NEW HDT and up fit it to RV hauler status like others have done. That might not cost much more than a new MDT hauler. Don't mean to start a war of words here, in the end it mostly comes down to each person's preferences and budget. As long as everyone is happy and safe on the road what's not to love about the RV life style, Best Wishes, Jay

The MDT versus HDT issue is not price alone...

No truer words have ever been spoken. It's a no brainer for me, really, since I've been around HDTs for most of my life. I want one. The DW on the other hand, well that's a completely different story. She simply can't get over the fact that they're, "sooooo big!!". She grew up on the Right Coast where you rarely, if ever, see these type of rigs on the road or in campgrounds. I'm not willing to go to war over this so the compromise will most likely be an MDT. Not to sound too sappy but the biggest disadvantage I see to the HDT is hand holding while driving; there is none. :(

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Spindrift,

My DW is the same.. I would argue that any class 8 is smoother than my class 5 but I do have way less power... but that is what the 112 is for. Before we bought we laid out all the positives and negs and there really wasn't a choice..for us. But as my grand ma would say..that is why there is more than one book in the library..because not everybody wants the same thing :)

I look at the mdt/hdt price differences like the domestic 1/2 ton / 1/4 truck market.. used, the smaller trucks were invariably more expensive than a 1/2... and got worse gas mileage :)

I could have gotten into a class 8 for less bucks than my class 5 ...

From looking at the prices of MDTs..they were all over the board so I figure folks arer not using nada or what ever to price them.. having been in the sales arena for awhile I learned that something is worth what someone else will pay for it,..not what someone has written in a book..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Thanks, gd. I just looked at a 2008 SC M2-106 and they want $84K for the truck...and it only has the Cummins 8.3L (ISC) engine!!

That's a bit high, but not by much. My 8.3 does just fine for my needs. If I were a constant traveler in mountains I might look for a bigger engine, but I'm not. Yes, newer muscular pickups can pass me on a 5% grade, but I don't care.

So is it supply and demand that has caused such high prices or a combination of other factors?

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Not sure what others have experienced on the power subject, but my LDT was modified with a bigger turbo, exhaust and programmer to boost my Duramax to a healthy 500HP and 1000# at 35# of boost when needed. I dont have the truck to haul anything heavier than 16.5K# but anything below that its a beast. Can MDTs be similarly modified? I have a 4700LP with a 530. Just wondering if those same mods can be done. I bought the MDT only after finding a SUPER deal from an SKP. I was looking at a Volvo 730 also at the time.

Marcel

So is it supply and demand that has caused such high prices or a combination of other factors?

IMHO, it is more what the market will bear. The MDT market is comprised of several segment, municipal fleets are a big part. The actual price is not really a major issue with "most" of the municipalities. Towing and recovery is another sweet spot, again the cab and chassis is merely a piece of the puzzle. Then there is mechanic and service trucks, beverage trucks, store delivery etc. All of these segments are price aware but, able to justify the cost.

Then you get into the specialty markets, racers, horsers, and Rvers. Folks with expensive pastimes have been willing to pay a premium for the "right" gear. MDT's were the choice for many and a niche market was born. The perception of an MDT being "smaller" than an HDT is part of that. While MDT's generally are lower capacity they really are not smaller than HDTs, just different. This discussion will not argue the MDT/HDT but, suggest why MDT's are so costly.

The bulk of commercial MDT users are not concerned with amenities or driveability. Their mission is to do tasks for which they are part of a bigger picture. Most MDT's are cab and chassis that don't tow or are not primarily speced for towing fifth wheel trailers. That has a big impact on what standard spec equipment is found on MDT's. Typically leaf spring rear axles rigid cab mounts and spartan interiors. The specialty segments are very small by comparison. When a manufacture buys components in small quantities prices are higher and, production may not be optimized for the assembly of these vehicles. So the high HP, fancy interior, air ride trucks are really bespoke. Then you have in addition to the chassis builder a body builder that must make a profit on the sale of the truck. The body builder is the retail seller, that extra hand is why an MDT ready to go is so costly.

An HDT is perhaps cheaper to buy as a cab and chassis, sourcing a body may add significant cost to the truck. That said; either an MDT or HDT could be purchased and modified by and end user IF they were comfortable with doing the second stage construction or sourcing it themselves. One issue was in the past folks were bewildered by the purchase process. Today that is less of an issue, several folks have bought new trucks and finished them. The build list for these are available and dealers are more receptive to individual orders. I would think eliminating the middle man could save a buyer 15 to 20% or more of the price of a new complete truck.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived