I recently bought a 2007 Fleetwood Fiesta with 8500 miles on it. I took it to a local shop (NOT CW) and they suggested I have all of the fluids changed. They suggested transmission fluid exchange (284.27), Flush cooling system with Dexcool (173.90), Darin and fill differential with synthetic fluid (101.00), flush power steering (118.00), new serpentine belt (160.00).

Everyone on here feels like a trusted person to me so I am asking for opinions on all of this.

I am new to all of this mechanical stuff and not sure what needs to be done or is an option.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maggie Blair

...I recently bought a 2007 Fleetwood Fiesta with 8500 miles on it. I took it to a local shop (NOT CW) and they suggested I have all of the fluids changed. They suggested transmission fluid exchange (284.27), Flush cooling system with Dexcool (173.90), Darin and fill differential with synthetic fluid (101.00), flush power steering (118.00), new serpentine belt (160.00)...

Do you have any service records from the previous owner? Not many miles (less than 1000/year) for a nine year old vehicle. Are any of the fluids discolored? Did they check the freezing point of the coolant? Can you see any cracks in the serpentine belt?

On a completely separate issue, have you checked the date codes on all the tires?

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Do you have any service records from the previous owner? Not many miles (less than 1000/year) for a nine year old vehicle. Are any of the fluids discolored? Did they check the freezing point of the coolant? Can you see any cracks in the serpentine belt?

On a completely separate issue, have you checked the date codes on all the tires?

Thanks so much. I do not know anything about checking levels etc. I will ask someone in the RV park to help me with that chore. The previous owner did not provide any service records.

I replaced all of the tires as they were the original tires. :)

Maggie Blair

I must say, it does seen to make sense, assuming they are reputable. I might add a brake fluid change, and as mentioned above, check the tires, this MH has done lots of sitting around. As I was told, its not the miles, its the years.

Carl

Thanks so much. I do not know anything about checking levels etc. I will ask someone in the RV park to help me with that chore. The previous owner did not provide any service records.

I replaced all of the tires as they were the original tires. :)

Seriously, the best thing to do is make friends with somebody at the RV park that can show you how and where to check all your fluids. Even if you get all the work done, you will still need to be able to check the fluid levels as you use your RV. Wish you were closer I would be glad to show you where and how to do it and also recommend a reputable shop that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to change the fluids on your vehicle.

Maggie,

Don't be sucked in by a repair shop that seen you coming. They see a female and all bets are off. I suggest you drive the vehicle for 500 miles before you make any changes. If your going to own this vehicle then you need to get educated on the minor maintenance tasks. Learn where your power steering reservoir is, find out how to check your oil, how to check and fill your window washer fluid, how to check your transmission level, and how to check your tire pressure.

As long as your transmission is shifting at the correct time with no hesitation or jerking then you should be fine. Under normal driving conditions your transmission should not need serviced until after 100,000 miles. Since your in California you should be able to run 50/50 Antifreeze in your radiator and watch your temp gauge on the dash, it should run in the normal range. If you plan to head into a below freezing area then you would need to have your fluid checked for it's quality and you do that with a hydrometer and make the service tech show you the results on the hydrometer. Your differential and power steering should not need serviced until after 100,000 miles. As already said your serpentine belt should be checked for wear and dry cracking, but I would price the belt and ask what the labor rates are at any shop you use, rule of thumb is that parts and labor costs should be 50/50 of the total repair. You should ask the former owner when he changed the oil last and if he can not tell you what the mileage was then I would go to the nearest Walmart and have them change the oil, consult your owners manual for what weight the oil should be.

Keep records on all repairs and service cycles and shop around for the best rates.

Good luck to you.

Were I to purchase a vehicle with no service records - one of the first things I'd do is change the oil to establish a known point when the oil was last changed. The other fluids - maybe not so much. With only 8,500 miles - I'd look at the transmission fluid of discoloration or signs of visible breakdown and decide from there. I'd have the engine coolant checked to with a hydrometer and decide from there. I'd keep an eye on the serpentine belt ... and be prepared to change that at any time (based on age alone).

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

For simple peace of mind I would get everything done. From then onwards you have a benchmark and know that nothing can sneak up on you. Even if you are 'over charged' when compared to having it done up the road by goodness knows who.

regards

I think those people just saw you coming and $$$$ in their pockets. I build street rods for a hobby and have sold a number of them upwards of 40,000. Change the oil as said above and find someone else to look at the rest. I would look at the belt. I do not see any need for trans, brake of coolant change.

An RV that is 9/10 years old and has only 8500 miles has spent most of its time sitting still. You were right to replace the tires. On replacing all of the fluids, that is just what I would do if it were mine but I'd get a price quote from another shop also just to compare. The problem with a vehicle that has been sitting so much is that moisture will collect in the fluids, or it can. I'd bet that the mileage was not put on uniformly over the years but probably it sat undriven for months or even years at a time. Do you know if it was kept inside or out? And in what part of the country can also play a part. If you find that it was driven several thousand miles the past year, then I might only change engine oil but if you don't know, then I would agree with Bruce T. You should probably also consider a change of brake fluid since it can absorb moisture and that moisture can change to steam bubbles and cause brake failure.

There may be no need to change any of the fluids, but the only way to know for sure is to either send samples of all fluids to a lab for analysis or you can just have them all replaced. If it is a budget issue, then I would go with engine and transmission first, radiator next, rear end last and on the power steering, I think I'd ask them why on it and might not do that one at all.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A vehicle that sits around will collect a lot of condensation. Has it been in a hard freeze? Some fluids can separate. Also with 'just' a few miles on the clock it was more than likely due for fluid changes anyway. All 'new' vehicles need the once over to start with. Besides I have trouble with investing thousands of dollars in an RV then hesitating to 'invest' more more to ensure your initial investment is sound.

As I said above, 'peace of mind'.

regards

I must say, it does seen to make sense, assuming they are reputable. I might add a brake fluid change, and as mentioned above, check the tires, this MH has done lots of sitting around. As I was told, its not the miles, its the years.

Carl

Thanks so much!

Maggie Blair

An RV that is 9/10 years old and has only 8500 miles has spent most of its time sitting still. You were right to replace the tires. On replacing all of the fluids, that is just what I would do if it were mine but I'd get a price quote from another shop also just to compare. The problem with a vehicle that has been sitting so much is that moisture will collect in the fluids, or it can. I'd bet that the mileage was not put on uniformly over the years but probably it sat undriven for months or even years at a time. Do you know if it was kept inside or out? And in what part of the country can also play a part. If you find that it was driven several thousand miles the past year, then I might only change engine oil but if you don't know, then I would agree with Bruce T. You should probably also consider a change of brake fluid since it can absorb moisture and that moisture can change to steam bubbles and cause brake failure.

There may be no need to change any of the fluids, but the only way to know for sure is to either send samples of all fluids to a lab for analysis or you can just have them all replaced. If it is a budget issue, then I would go with engine and transmission first, radiator next, rear end last and on the power steering, I think I'd ask them why on it and might not do that one at all.

Thanks Kirk. I have decided to change them all to be on the safe side. This RV has been sitting for at least 2 years outside here in Redding. 115 in the summer and in the 40's in the winter. Peace of mind is important to me as I don't even know what these oils etc. are about. Thanks again for your input. It is ALWAYS appreciated.

Maggie Blair

A vehicle that sits around will collect a lot of condensation. Has it been in a hard freeze? Some fluids can separate. Also with 'just' a few miles on the clock it was more than likely due for fluid changes anyway. All 'new' vehicles need the once over to start with. Besides I have trouble with investing thousands of dollars in an RV then hesitating to 'invest' more more to ensure your initial investment is sound.

As I said above, 'peace of mind'.

regards

Thanks and I am going with Peace of Mind and having everything changed.

Maggie Blair

Thanks and I am going with Peace of Mind and having everything changed.

That's what I'd do, too. Peace of mind is priceless. And having a clear start for future maintenance would add to my peace of mind. too.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Unfortunately, many folks do not use this site to state their experience with service facilities but perhaps you'd want to check it and possibly the place you're considering having this work done is listed or there may be another place close by with good reviews. Get a second opinion.

http://rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I agree with Kirk in that fluids that are 9-10 years old need to be changed. I would get quotes from at least 3 different shops per each fluid and then cherry pick the best price at each shop for the different fluid change. If you decide to have one shop do all the fluids, don't be afraid to ask for a 10% discount for a bundled deal.

Greg

Much good advice offered here. Just remember that peace of mind could be worth it's weight in gold. Rather than sitting along the side of the road somewhere. The cost of a tow or service call may run you as much, or more than the original shop service that you did not have done. Much of what has been shared involves YOUR comfort zone. It is good that some folks can do many of the service requirements themselves, however there are many that can not and we need to pay someone. Find a shop that you trust and do what they say. There is a cost to owning an RV.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Archived