Loading an '05 vs '16 Smart.

rdickinson

Giving thought to getting rid of the 05' Smart and getting a gen 2' - 2013 or Gen 3 '-2016. Sure it will cost more money but that means less for my brother when I go.

Dealer has given me a 2013 while the '05 is in for service so I plan to do some measurements and see what the differences are. They are giving me 2016 tomorrow pm to try . The door closes like a real car door. Glass dash, the thing looks like a Mini Cooper on steroids. It may make the Snake rRver Canyon jump. Evidently the power is significantly greater and the width is about 5" wider.

Re mounting on the deck, chocks won't line up, neither will the tie downs or bolt holes for the ramps. Also the rear wheel will go over the hatch b/w the frame rails but I figured we could make a bridge to deal with that..

Lotsa room b/w car and front of the trailer.

Anyone done or considered this with either the Gen 2 or Gen 3?

Thanks

Roger, you might check with Dan (Lights)--he had a '16 on his truck at the ECR this year, and I think that replaced a model 450. He might be able to tell you if there was anything else he ran into.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Roger

I know Billr went from a 450 (first gen) to a 451 (second gen) this past year. The wheelbase is about two inches longer so you will have to move the chocks further out. Possibly a small piece of 2x10 to go under the wheels would allow you to set the wheels out far enough that you wouldn't need to move the chocks. I think the width would be close enough for the 451. Maybe Bill will chime in.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Roger

I know Billr went from a 450 (first gen) to a 451 (second gen) this past year. The wheelbase is about two inches longer so you will have to move the chocks further out. Possibly a small piece of 2x10 to go under the wheels would allow you to set the wheels out far enough that you wouldn't need to move the chocks. I think the width would be close enough for the 451. Maybe Bill will chime in.

Nigel

I was doing thay originally when herrin put the front and back chocks too close together. I'd lift up the front wheels with a 1" thick chunk of rim joist. When able we cut another slot in the chock to move it fwd. We may have to weld a plate to the bottom of the chock to allow them to be spread further apart.

The other question I have for the 2016 is this. Is the wheel base wider or just body parts?

The fancy tires on this 2016 are 64 or 65" outside to outside. Want some pics? I figure to leave the ramp closes to the front where it is and move the rear ramp 9" to the rear. I'll see how it lines up with the ramps. Will take lotsa pics. This could make a mess of the deck.

When I went to the 451 from the 450 last fall I had to cut and mod the rear chocks to center the car across the bed. About 2-3". I just reduced the angle of the chick as mine were curved to fit tire a bit.

I left the. Where they are for width. I did increase tire size on rear to 195 do they are off about an inch but fine for me. No issues with tie downs.

Bill

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

The only issue I had going from the '05 450 to the '11 451 was with the front valence hitting the ground while coming off the ramps. I made a couple of ramp extensions with two pieces of 2x12, beveled on the end. That lifted the end of the ramps 3" and let the front wheels level off for a foot at the end of the ramps for clearance.

No issues with tie downs, but I use tire straps (baskets). Going to be loading a 2013 in a couple of weeks, but the dimensions are the same as the '11.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I have a '13 here now to see what is what and will pick the '16 up later this morning. It dawned on me last night the tires on the 16 may not be stock and may be wider bringing outside width up to 64 or 65 ". Stock tires may be narrower. I'll check. There is a 10k difference in price.

I drive up my 2013. My bed is 102" wide. Tires has enough room for my chops and ratchets. that is about all the room there is to. I have ratchets bolted to deck on driver side. Bolted to chops on passenger side and load from that side. I may change the drivers side. Fab error on builder. I modified the passenger side so I could bolt to chops. Smart fills it up. I set our hitch far enough back I can put a 2016 on there.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We have a dirt bank in the park so I'll park the truck beside it and pull out the ramps to the top of the bank and see how the car fits when driven on. Mercedes may have an issue with me bolting the bar on across the rear.

I'll take pics and measurements.

Edit

Gave the 2016 a whirl today, no comparison. No lag on taking off, power steering, cruise control and the power to go uphill in top gear.

hill hold, lane assist, anti collision and compensates for side winds, wider, quieter. Also gas pedal can't overpower the brake pedal.

it will fit on the deck but chocks and ramps will have to be relocated.

Wheel base width is 63.5 od with those rims and tires.

48" from center of pin to closest part of the trailer when jackknifed. So there is lots of room.

58" from pin center to side of car so lots of room.

Archived