Airing up my Volvo using shop air

sclord2002

I finally discovered what quick disconnect fitting will work to air up my Volvo utilizing the port on the the steel air line from the compressor that runs along the top left side of the engine. It is a R-134A HIGH SIDE [red] fitting. The threads on the fitting I have are not tapered national pipe thread, so I had to do some adapting, but the fitting works like a charm. Should you decide to use a fitting like this, just be aware that there is another port like this under the hood and it IS on the A/C high side line.....BE SURE YOU ARE CONNECTING TO THE AIR LINE AND NOT THE A/C LINE. This fitting was helpful in finding a leak in my steer axle passenger side air spring. The leak was hard to hear with the engine running but was found quickly by utilizing shop air. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

You could put a male 1/4 inch air fitting in the primary air tank with a shutoff valve most air tanks have extra plugs in them or put in the drain our shop does this on all of our trucks.

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

Dan, I realize that here are other ways to connect shop air and I considered several ways. I just took it as a challenge that a port was provided for that purpose ? and no one had the fitting that would connect to it, or even knew what fitting I needed. Sometimes I look for a challenge just to keep the rusty gears clanking in my head. Charlie

Dan, I realize that here are other ways to connect shop air and I considered several ways. I just took it as a challenge that a port was provided for that purpose ? and no one had the fitting that would connect to it, or even knew what fitting I needed. Sometimes I look for a challenge just to keep the rusty gears clanking in my head. Charlie

Or so the gears don't fall asleep.... :ph34r:

(sorry Charlie)

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

You can always blame it on those Canadians!

Yeah, that"s it....those darn Canadians and their firewater. I really do like all of my Canadian friends....some of them are a little crazy....but I like them. They keep things from being boring. Charlie

On the output manifold of my compressor(N14 Cummins) there is a valve stem. Simply push on the chuck and up comes the rear end. Makes taking off after sitting for a while a lot nicer. Just plug it in while you check the fluids.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Yeah, that"s it....those darn Canadians and their firewater. I really do like all of my Canadian friends....some of them are a little crazy....but I like them. They keep things from being boring. Charlie

The ECR would not be the same without our Canadian friends. Just hope Kevin can get his "broken" guitar fixed before next year.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

You could put a male 1/4 inch air fitting in the primary air tank with a shutoff valve most air tanks have extra plugs in them or put in the drain our shop does this on all of our trucks.

Rather than put a male with a valve, why not put a female fitting with no valve and then just make or buy a small double male adapter for when you want air up your truck. That gives you an air source for when your truck is in a giving mood.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I have a male/male and a male/female hose made up that are two feet long as adapters plumbed into my tanks. That way I can either air up the truck or run air tools/air up tires from the truck. Just make sure to put a ball valve inline to shut off the tank before you get to the airline fitting.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived