Stopping Automatic Windows 10 updates.....

Vladimir

I complained about Windows 10 updates in the Seattle Times article comment section....and received this reply. Anybody with Windows 10 Pro that can confirm or deny??

Regarding delaying updates in Windows 10, you can alternatively upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Within Win 10 Pro you can perform the following steps to disable automatic updates:

1. Run Gpedit.msc
2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
3. Double-click on 'Configure automatic updates'
4. Use the drop down box below to change the setting to 'Notify for download and notify for install'.
5. Apply and OK the change.

Apparently forcing updates upon corporate customers is not as palatable as forcing updates on mere consumers.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I have Windows 10 pro and can confirm that those settings are where you asked me to check for them to be. However I was not going to play around with them any further as there are two tabs of settings and it is not as straight forward as your directions imply. But yes complete configuration from there is possible.

However having said that, I can just go to Settings/updates/advanced, and check the now unchecked box to defer upgrades, which still allows security updates through. Using your directions gives complete control in Pro.

They are separating the Office updates from the Windows updates so the Office will come in on the first week of the month, I forget which day. The Windows updates will continue on the second Tuesday of the month. For Now.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks Vladimir. I found everything as described. I will keep an eye on updates to see if this works out. Right now I have my connection configured as "metered" but have noted that W10 still updates some stuff at will. Frustrating when you are trying to manage your limited data.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Thanks Vladimir. I found everything as described. I will keep an eye on updates to see if this works out. Right now I have my connection configured as "metered" but have noted that W10 still updates some stuff at will. Frustrating when you are trying to manage your limited data.

Later,

J

Yeah, my wife hates when I ask questions that I know the answer to....or like in this case, over and over again of different people. But them sometimes, you finally do get a useful answer!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I changed my automatic update setting (as described above) a few days ago and I just received my first notice that an update was available to download and install. It wasn't anything I was even vaguely interested in wasting my bandwidth on.

After a couple of tweaks (Classic Shell and this one) I am liking Windows 10 (Professional) more all the time.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I stopped all Windows 10 updates really easily...I installed Linux! :rolleyes:

Glad you found application software that actually does what you want on Linux. I didn't. I still keep a Linux machine around, but run Windows on the rest.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Glad you found application software that actually does what you want on Linux. I didn't. I still keep a Linux machine around, but run Windows on the rest.

With the exception of my video editing software (which can be replaced if I felt like learning something new) and Photoshop (GiMP is fine for most people but I don't like it) I have yet to not be able to find a suitable alternative for everything I ever did on Windows. I keep a VM or dual-boot computer around for the rare time I need those programs

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Bill,

I'm going to set up an old but new condition XP machine as Linux using the system I posted here before. I am getting too many "donated" old XP systems that the friends and family think I can use. They are great systems for their time and not the junky dusty/nasty ones I used to get. I used to just donate them to goodwill sans hard drives.

I live Windows 10 now. I was worried MS was going to downgrade our touch functions but if anything they got even better.

I hope folks make arrangements to get them manually at a store or coffee shop if constrained data wise.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Or you may simply download GWX control panel and stop Win X updates and downloads.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived