Free GPS for my lap top?

I can find a ton of apps for my phone but can someone show me an link where I can down load such things for my laptop?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Your phone has a GPS receiver built in that's used by many apps to determine your current location. Does your laptop? Most don't...

As for other apps for a laptop, what OS are you using?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Co-Pilot has Free for smart phones/iPads with GPS. With Free updates.

But Laptop Co-Pilot is $$ and way out of date maps.

Laptop you could use Google Earth and download many POI's Free from Discovery web site

Windows 10 OS has a map app on Laptops & Desktops. I think it may find your location using a hot spot.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Your phone has a GPS receiver built in that's used by many apps to determine your current location. Does your laptop? Most don't...

X2. About the best your laptop can do is to determine a general location based on wifi signals. Some laptops that have a sim card slot are able to receive cellular signals (or by installing a mobile internet card) which is a little more precise, but nothing at all close to having a gps receiver.

For travel purposes it's generally quite useless.

While not free for the hardware part, I have a DeLorme GPS antenna that connects via USB to my laptop. I can then use Google Earth in conjunction with that. This may not be a good solution for you, however, for traveling since you will need to have internet access for the Google Earth.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

If you want to use your laptop for live navigation then you need a real GPS in it - as others have indicated. You can go wired or wireless.

If you have Bluetooth in your laptop then THIS wireless Globalsat product is what I'd use for the GPS. Just connect it wirelessly to the laptop via the Bluetooth. If you do not have Bluetooth in the laptop then add it via USB micro receiver. Look at this one. Frankly, unless you have a good reason to be wireless I'd just wire up something to the laptop.

If you do not care about a wireless connection to your computer then this USB wired GPS receiver is very good. I have one and like it - although these days I do onto use it much. You can simply lay this on the dash and it should work fine. Mine even works fine inside the RV, away from a window.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I can find a ton of apps for my phone but can someone show me an link where I can down load such things for my laptop?

Nope. No apps like that.

Firstly, the laptop needs a software program (an "app") like Microsoft Streets & Trips.

If you have MS S&T's then you can use a Bluetooth GPS receiver - either wired or a Bluetooth puck.

If Bluetooth, make sure that your laptop has a Bluetooth receiver built into it.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

On my MacBook Pro I have a mapping program that works very well. However it is not a GPS program it is via my internet connection. So only good while in range of a tower. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Archived