GPS Recommendations

JPL

Even though we do use an android tablet for google Maps and are familiar with the storing of local area maps the article you linked is correct. This is why I usually rely on the Garmin 770.

"As we noted at the start of this article, after saving a map you still won't

be able to perform step-by-step navigation, search for points of interest or

access Street View without an Internet connection.

You'll have to use the map the "old school" way and navigate manually.

Also remember that if you're using this feature because you don't have any

data connection at all, location services will be very slow to use as well. You'll

be able to access the previously-saved map data without a connection, but because

your phone often uses cellular networks to help locate you on a map you may be

waiting a while for a precise location lock based solely on GPS"

Even though we do use an android tablet for google Maps and are familiar with the storing of local area maps the article you linked is correct. This is why I usually rely on the Garmin 770.

"As we noted at the start of this article, after saving a map you still won't

be able to perform step-by-step navigation, search for points of interest or

access Street View without an Internet connection.

You'll have to use the map the "old school" way and navigate manually.

Also remember that if you're using this feature because you don't have any

data connection at all, location services will be very slow to use as well. You'll

be able to access the previously-saved map data without a connection, but because

your phone often uses cellular networks to help locate you on a map you may be

waiting a while for a precise location lock based solely on GPS"

All valid points. Good find, Rick.

I have considered getting one of these to improve satellite connections using the tablet:

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/sensors-and-boards/glo-/prod109827.html

I have not decided between the two yet, but would probably lean toward the Garmin due to their reputation.

Based on what Rick posted above, this wouldn't help with turn by turn in a no Internet connection situation. However, I'm surprised to hear that turn by turn doesn't work without connection. I'm going to try and verify.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I have a couple of thousand miles on this unit with CoPilot running on an HP laptop. Performance is stunning with GPS lock within seconds even indoors.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/USGlobalSat-BU353-S4-USB-GPS-Receiver-P3219.aspx

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Turn-by-turn will continue to work without a connection, but if you deviate from the route there's a good chance it won't be able to re-route you. As long as you don't miss a turn, it'll keep you going.

One of my favorite spots where it all falls apart is in the I-395 tunnel that passes in front of Capitol Hill in DC. You're underground (so no GPS), but it "smooths" your motion out, basically moving the marker and continuing directions based on the speed you enter at. If traffic backs up while you're down there, it'll move you right past your exit, and try to re-route, but without an internet connection can't do it. Traffic starts moving again, you regain a connection, and a GPS fix, just in time for the instruction to exit now about 50' too late, for the exit that doesn't have a number or name at the exit like it should (D St, I think). Lesson learned: the "exit in 2 miles" instruction means look at the odometer!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Turn-by-turn will continue to work without a connection, but if you deviate from the route there's a good chance it won't be able to re-route you. As long as you don't miss a turn, it'll keep you going.

Good to hear. That's what I was expecting it to do.

My DW new ride, a 2015 Durango, her gps uses u-link and gives wrecks, road closing, the whole bit seemingly in real time. Is anything close to this for us?

Google Maps will show all of that and even suggest an alternate route (if a quicker one is found) based on real-time traffic data. That requires an active Internet connection, though. I always just enable the hot spot from my phone. The tablets are set to connect automatically.

Another option would be to plan your route on the desktop version of Google Maps, verify the route with a truckers/RV atlas, and then share to your mobile device to run on Google Maps. That would sort of give you the best of both worlds and only one screen to distract you while driving.

This is the info on the new Garmin Dezl 770LMTHD which the traffic receiver is build into the 12V power cord.

The Best of Our Traffic Solutions
HD Digital Traffic² is our best traffic solution. HD Digital Traffic receives updates up to every 30 seconds, making it up to 10 times faster than other traffic systems.

That means, driving 60 mph, your dēzl 770LMTHD can receive traffic messages up to every half-mile. On the road, a few seconds’ notice can save minutes or even hours of delay.

HD Digital Traffic can tell you how many minutes of delay to expect and if there are any possible detours. It can even confirm whether or not you are on the fastest route.

HD Digital Traffic has a greater coverage area to include interstates, highways and secondary roads – in fact, up to 3 times more side road coverage.

In addition to traffic information, dēzl 770LMTHD receives free HD Weather, including current temperature and 6-day forecasts (free software update may be required).

A great deal depends on what your RV is, our teardrop is MacDonald's drive through compatible and a certain percentage of our camping is serious boondocking. I once wrote a post on the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer forum titled Death by GPS, giving examples of folks who lost their lives trusting their GPS too much. One personal example if we had followed out GPS we would have ended up in Lake Superior.

In critical locations I have paper Topo maps i.e. Lake Superior Provincial Park In less critical locations AAA maps work well enough.

Granted, it's the sales pitch, but it sounds pretty reasonable. I'd be a little skeptical of the "millions" of cell phone users (which may just be people using a Garmin app) and "incident reports". Otherwise it's a fairly standard (and pretty good) list of sources for traffic speeds.

I find it funny they emphasize the frequency that information is retrieved so much more than the data collection process. It isn't that hard to query a server on short intervals.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived