Slide locks

Morning all,

Did a search and didn't find an answer so hopefully someone has an answer.

Does anyone use slide locks of any sort while in transit? Are they necessary? My last TT had a Schwintek slide with the motor locks and slide locks weren't necessary apparently, but with the new TT and a different style slide, I wonder. There was some slide lock literature provided with the pile of paperwork I got at the time of purchase but I wasn't sure if it was relevant.

Thanks.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

I bought our trailer and then came back to pick it up a few weeks later. The previous owner had the slides in when I got there. It was my first time pulling any 5th wheel and first time pulling anything with a HDT. I was going about 45 mph in a 55 mph zone as I was concerned about staying in my lane and not going off onto the grassy unpaved shoulder. I only got about a mile down the two lane highway in Northern Georgia, when the kitchen slide on driver side was out about 10 inches and over the double yellow line. Because of my speed, I had maybe 4 car following behind me. The second of which was a police car. I had just flown up to SD to establish domicile and get a SD driver's license a couple days earlier. I had brand new MT (LLC) plates. I was legal but it still made me nervous.

After a few miles, I got to a place to pull over, LEO drove on by and I found a couple guys to hep me push the slide in. A Craftsmen tool box I had fit perfectly on top of the slide and kept it in place while I drove it up to Raccoon Valley SKP Park. (The rest of the trip is another story). With some help from an experienced Escapee, I was able to replace a sheer pin on slide mechanism before driving it back to Ohio.

If I found some used or cheap slide locks, I might buy them just for such an emergency. I have not seen them for sale though, let alone cheap.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Our slide locks were nothing more than lengths of pipe with rubber tips at each end. They were sized to be a tight fit between the slide flange and the wall when the slides were in. You could fashion something similar from a wooden closet rod and some crutch tips.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

My ancient Jayco came with slide locks. I have just always used them. At the very least, they snug up the slide seal to keep out water intrusion.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

Spent $20 today on 1" dowel and some rubber tips. Enough to make to slide locks for two slides. Considering the cost, no reason not to use them. Lot cheaper than the fancy ones, and if it prevents a problem, its cheap insurance.

Thanks everyone.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

My fiver has a large, heavy kitchen slide with a lot of upper cabinets. It has a hydraulic slide mechanism with the rams on the underside of the slide. I noticed a couple of times in my side mirror that the top of the slide would tip out a little when I went into just the right angle of a turn. It is a little disconcerting to see your slide tip out like that. The bottom of the slide never moved out at all and when the g force from the turn ended, the top of the slide fell back into place. There was nothing holding the top of the slide in with the slide mechanism, so I decided to add some slide locks at the top of the slide. I have not had any problems with the slide tipping out since then.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Jim and others who need slide locks. Purchase cane r crotch tips at Walgreens or similar store. You need 4. Then go to Home Depot or lowes and buy a wooden dowel to fit the tip. Cut the fowl slightly shorter than the distance from the inside wall to the metal lip on the slide. It will take some trial and error. It should be a slight wedge to install, not loose. Cut the other dowel and you now have 2 slode locks, enough for 1 slide.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived