Strange Issue with Compressor

bmzero

Sure sounds like a bad air governor is over pressurizing the system, causing the first telltale sign of the air dyer popping off frequently and resulting in finally the weakest link being your airline that broke.

( Think of a home water regulator that goes bad, usually the icemakers tubing is the first thing to blow.)

Normally the way I check this is 1st off as you said frequent air dryer popping off.

When that occurs I will watch my air gauge. How far is my air dropping before the air compressor turns on and how high is the pressure building before it cuts out.

Normally my compressor turns on before 90 psi and back off at 120-125 psi.

If my governor is bad it will either go above 125 or only cycle down to maybe 110 and turn back on. Popping off every minute or more.

This is true with all my trucks and brands I've driven.

As for where your governor is? I'm sure the dealer can tell you or I will look tonight on my 2015 when I get into work. My peterbilt like most older trucks is on the air compressor on the side of the motor. But I know a lot of them are now down low to the driver side rear and the governor is remote.

Not smart for a part that dose go bad.

Sure sounds like a bad air governor is over pressurizing the system, causing the first telltale sign of the air dyer popping off frequently and resulting in finally the weakest link being your airline that broke.

( Think of a home water regulator that goes bad, usually the icemakers tubing is the first thing to blow.)

Normally the way I check this is 1st off as you said frequent air dryer popping off.

When that occurs I will watch my air gauge. How far is my air dropping before the air compressor turns on and how high is the pressure building before it cuts out.

Normally my compressor turns on before 90 psi and back off at 120-125 psi.

If my governor is bad it will either go above 125 or only cycle down to maybe 110 and turn back on. Popping off every minute or more.

This is true with all my trucks and brands I've driven.

As for where your governor is? I'm sure the dealer can tell you or I will look tonight on my 2015 when I get into work. My peterbilt like most older trucks is on the air compressor on the side of the motor. But I know a lot of them are now down low to the driver side rear and the governor is remote.

Not smart for a part that dose go bad.

I did buy a governor yesterday. It is located on the firewall in a very easy spot to reach, just as MrSeas said. I will replace it today. The truck ran for about an hour yesterday with no issues. I'll take it out this weekend, probably pulling the trailer to a MX track and see how it goes.

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

The governor on my 630 is on the firewall under the hood. And easy to access.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

For anyone interested in the location of the governor on my truck, probably the same on most Volvo VNL models, here it is.

c9711341-6936-4300-b0ef-c98c1d676ab8-s.j
Replacing the governor was pretty simple since it was so easy to get to.
After replacing the governor, the purge from the dryer has a significantly reduced interval. It is also significantly less pressurized when it purges. The governor was definitely in need of replacement.

bmzero, I signed up on the Follow My Build tonight. Do you post pictures on that the same as Escapees? How? I haven't a clue. Maybe you could show a Old Sailor how its done. I've been busy this last couple of weeks getting the Pride ready. We just finished some needed body and paint work. The back yard was the paint booth. We pretty much kept the paint on the truck. Interesting. Now just put things back together. Running out of time and not things to do. Boy am I glad I'm now retired. Pat

The Old Sailor

bmzero, Don't forget to give Ratchet a treat! Will see you at the ECR. Pat

Ha ha. Will do. I'll have him with me this year at the ECR.

bmzero, I signed up on the Follow My Build tonight. Do you post pictures on that the same as Escapees? How? I haven't a clue. Maybe you could show a Old Sailor how its done. I've been busy this last couple of weeks getting the Pride ready. We just finished some needed body and paint work. The back yard was the paint booth. We pretty much kept the paint on the truck. Interesting. Now just put things back together. Running out of time and not things to do. Boy am I glad I'm now retired. Pat

The Old Sailor

I would like to think posting photos on FollowMyBuild is much easier than on other sites, but I could be a little biased.

Here's a short walk through video.

bmzero, Thanks for the info but the old man still needs help. At the ECR. See you and Ratchet there. Take Care, Pat

The Old Sailor

Hi Guys,

I could use some help in this area also. See you guys in a couple of weeks. The Follow My Build walk through on my end, the print was to small to read. I could not make the print bigger for some reason.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Guys,

I could use some help in this area also. See you guys in a couple of weeks. The Follow My Build walk through on my end, the print was to small to read. I could not make the print bigger for some reason.

Al

I would love to give you guys a demo of FollowMyBuild and get your feedback as well. We can have an impromptu session of that at ECR.

I would love to give you guys a demo of FollowMyBuild and get your feedback as well. We can have an impromptu session of that at ECR.

If you come to the Fall Rally I'd like you to consider doing an informal session there, too. I, for one, would like to use it....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you come to the Fall Rally I'd like you to consider doing an informal session there, too. I, for one, would like to use it....

That would be great, Jack. We should have the mobile apps in the store by then. They're almost ready now. With the app you can update your builds directly from the phone and share out photos from there.

alan0043, on 19 Mar 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:snapback.png

Hi Guys,

Al

Hi Brit,

That sounds good to me. I am also up to learn something new. With the new stuff on line, I am technology challenged.

See you in a couple of weeks,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived