Pex Fittings & Connections to Docking Station

gg923

I have worked with copper and PVC plumbing but have never worked with PEX. I am considering purchasing the tool and a few select fittings and tackle a few minor repairs myself. It really appears to be the most simple plumbing there is but the tools carry significant costs. Have any of you purchased the tools (Cinch or Crimp - Brand?)?

Alternatively, I am considering just using the push connect sharkbite fittings or something similar (many brands available).

My main question has to do with the connections to the back of the docking station (where the pex connects to the docking station). Do any of you know if the connections are just 1/2"NPT or is it some other type of thread?

Many Thanks!

Gene

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

2014 Chevy 3500 D/A 4x4 Dually

2015 DRV Mobile Suites 38PS3

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

I'm not sure what you are calling the docking station? Do you mean the city water connection? If that is what you are thinking of, there are several different ways that they attach. Some of them are threaded for ease of replacement.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I took the plunge and spent around $100 for the tools needed, after paying someone $180 to fix a leaking faucet connection some time ago. I found the pex very easy to work with for the most part. Once clamped, it stays put nicely. The only drawback I found was trying to salvage a tee, as the connection is very hard to break once it has been clamped. There are videos out there showing various ways; none of them were easy in my opinion.

Was very impressed with the sharkbite fitting, after having to replace the very same faucet connection a second time, because the so-called-upgrade to brass failed miserably. The sharkbite went together nicely and would not come loose without properly releasing it.

All and all, a good investment since nearly all the plumbing in my TT is pex. I keep two 5' sections of red and white pipe, some fittings, etc around just in case.

Plus, the big box stores carry pex too...not hard to find.

Can't speak to the docking question..sorry.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

I have used cinch and crimp. I prefer cinch just because it is easier to undo if you need to without cutting the pex off.

If you go with crimp, an offset head is really a lot more flexible. Gets into much tighter spaces.

http://www.amazon.com/Crimpers-Plumbing-Crimping-Copper-Gonogo/dp/B00LSF14DS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1457829484&sr=8-3&keywords=pex+crimping+tool+set

If you are only interested in doing a few crimps, maybe the Vise-Grip shortie crimper would do for you. It does work but is more difficult in limited spaces.

Sharkbite type connectors are usually the easiest (if you have the room and flexibility in the pipe). Many types can also be used to connect different types of pipe, like copper to PEX, PEX to PVC, Copper to PVC, etc. Ck the specs on the particular brand.

Though I carry a cinch tool and clamps, I always have a 1/2" Sharkbite with me for quick repairs in emergency circumstances.

The best tool I have found for removing crimp rings is Dremel tool and disks.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I just bought the fittings and the ratcheting cinch tool for the clamps at Lowes. A small grinder or a Knipex small bolt cutter will remove the fittings fairly easily but you do need some spark control if you use the grinder.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I also prefer the Oeticker fittings (cinch), although I have both. And as others have said - keep some Sharkbite around. Sometimes you have to use them because you simply don't have enough access.

All the threaded are pipe.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you just have a few connections to do, go with the sharkbite (or similar) and save the investment in the tool.

I have a big-a** crimper but only because I had a big job to do (running new airlines at my shop).

PEX is probably the easiest/best material to work with (compared to CPVC, Poly, Copper, etc) - easy to cut, bendable, and very high burst strength.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Thank you all for your guidance! I have found an affordable cinch tool and chosen to go that route. The ROI for a selection of fittings, the tool and the rings are still less than 1 service call fee.

Very much appreciated!

Gene

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

I like the so called Sharkbite type for fast easy repair and replacement, and although they are a bit pricey, I've NEVER had one leak. Of course if I ever had to completely re plumb an RV Id likely go the PEX route (maybe borrow my buddys crimping tool lol). Remember the old gray polybutelyne I believe? tubing they used to use????????

The city water inlets (and maybe the check valve etc., I prefer brass) can be threaded NPT in which I use Teflon thread tape or liquid pipe dope and again I never had a leak after that. I don't like to connect the water hose to a short stub out female hose connection just barely outside the camper surface, so like one of those 90 degree or strain relief fittings and use Brass in any of those type applications.

John T NOT in any sense of the word a plumber so take the above advise at your own peril lol

I've actually never seen a properly installed Sharkbite fitting leak....and I've probably installed hundreds of them. But you are better off using PEX crimp fittings if you can. Sometimes you cannot get them in, though, even with the mini-crimpers. I carry Sharkbite for those situations. And also Sharkbite stops for capping pipes that may be leaking or damaged. Quick, easy and replaceable.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Guys, whether you have the tool or not, you should at least try the Flair-It brand fittings. They avoid the difficulty in tight spaces in getting a tool on the crimp/band. I started using them in 1999, when the check valve in my water heater went out. They weigh nothing, are inexpensive, and even a newbie can use them if they can cut a straight cut in plastic tubing. I carried one of each type connector in my tubing size (1/2" then), and the adapters connectors for the 3/4 etc. one or two oddball connections I needed, and a couple of elbows, straight and T connectors. The Pro is great but I just used the plastic.

See that line here: http://flairit.com

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The docking station is where all the water connections come together, where your valves are for filling your FW tank, draining your black/Gray, City water connection, etc.....

May not be the correct term but I have heard them called that.....

I just have a fitting leaking on the backside.....Jack mentioned that the threaded fittings were NPT which answered my question.

thanks again all!

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

The docking station is where all the water connections come together, where your valves are for filling your FW tank, draining your black/Gray, City water connection, etc.....

May not be the correct term but I have heard them called that.....

I just have a fitting leaking on the backside.....Jack mentioned that the threaded fittings were NPT which answered my question.

thanks again all!

Gene & Lisa (and Abby)

Trailersaver TS3

2012 Toyota Prius

event.png

Most call it the "wet-bay". This is the first time I've ever heard it called a docking station. Then again, I once heard a man refer to his sewage hose and fresh water hose as "tackle"??? Made me wonder what he was fishing for.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Bottom feeders Ray, bottom feeders! :P

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived