5th wheels, non-toy hauler with porch/deck?

tony2co

Doing a Google search found Highland Open Range and Heartland Gateway are both 5th wheels and have non toy hauler plans with side decks.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I've found these are neat marketing gimmicks that are many times not practicable in many campgrounds. Note these models don't "carry thru" in future years. The old standard layouts prevail. Also if you can't for some reason use you deck/porch it may make your whole camper unusable.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I looked at the Gateway this past weekend while fifth wheel shopping. I thought the idea was neat but on closer examination, the deck is pretty cozy for 4 plus there is a big hole in the side of your house. It just looked like it would give me problems down the road when the unit gets a little age on it. Plenty of seams for water to creep in. I really like the raised deck idea but I guess I'll just sit under my awning for now.

A number of years ago, Excel a now defunct fiver manufacture, came out with a deck that more or less rolled out from underneath. I thought it was silly and I guess most others did too as I believe it lasted one model run. Weight was the big issue.

I always got a kick out of the brochure pictures showing a couple sitting on their deck, chatting with others a few feet away and 18" below. I never understood the idea of a deck on an RV. Why not put your lawn chairs out on the ground like the rest of the world? Oh well, different strokes for different folks. Hopefully the OP finds what they are looking for, but I've never actually seen one out in the wild...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I've found these are neat marketing gimmicks that are many times not practicable in many campgrounds.

Yep. Happened to me a few times when I had a toyhauler. The ramp converted to a deck. Several times the site was too short. In many RV parks today, sites are too narrow for a side porch/deck.

A number of years ago King of the Road had a 5th wheel with a porch/deck that came out under the door. They are no longer in business but here is an ad for one. In looking at it, it could be viable as an enlarged entry. As a deck it would be pretty small.

I agree with others that many RV park sites are not designed with an attached deck in mind. Country Coach tried an innovative approach some years ago with their Veranda. I don't think it worked out.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Glendale Titanium used to have several models with side decks or rear decks. The rear deck models were unique. The fiberglass rear cap was hinged at the top and served as a roof over the deck, and canvas/net sidewalls could be installed. They called it a Bug Room. They introduced this in 2004. Glendale is no longer in business.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

Archived