help finding air leak

Cactus Jack

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

There are some YouTube videos of one in action. It explains it much better than I can.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Before Castro and the various Presidents of the U S became "unhappy"in the late 50's and early 60's.......it was common for a heavy truck mechanic to just light up a big-ole-Cuban-cigar and then let the smoke drift around the various air fitting / lines of interest and then watch the smoke swirl near the air-leakage locations.........

Oh how times have changed..........for the most part the "olden-days-trucks" had "high-grade" metal fittings and braided flex air lines that tended to be leak -free for long periods of time...........of course time marches on and soon after Cuban cigars were banned in the U S......truck builders started "improving" truck air systems with cheap plastic fittings, O-rings, and non-braided-hoses made from recycled condoms........

Things maybe looking up in that now that Cuba and the U S seem to be not so unfriendly recently .......maybe a mechanic can buy a Cuban-Gar again........then the problem is......how do you find a place where the truck can be parked and the mechanic is allowed to light up the gar........

Times have changed....

Good luck with the "endless" leaks.......oh the joys of...."new and improved"....

Drive on..........(Ok where are the......matches)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hmmmmmmm....... All the good cigar blenders and rollers moved to Nicaragua and Dominican Republic. You need look no further than the humidor in my garage.

When I was a kid, and Spot was a pup, the truck mechanic, (my uncle), smoked Black Ibolds. Truly nasty things.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Shaving cream. Just put a gob on each fitting and if there is a leak it will blow a hole in it.

Later,

J

PS A kid taught me this when we couldn't find the air leak inside the block of a large stationary diesel which was causing issues with the units pneumatic logic.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Archived