Snow removal off of sliders

Sunshine1

I'm new to full time RVing, and find myself wintering in Indiana. I have 2 sliders on my travel trailer, without the toppers. What seems to be best to use for snow removal off of the top of sliders?? I'm afraid of damaging them, thought of maybe a push broom? How often do you remove snow? As soon as it falls? Any ideas would be appreciated!

The best option is to pull your slides in (turtle up) during snow fall. If that's not practical, the best option I've seen, when snow might be expected, is to cut tarp lengths to fit the tops with a bit of overhang. Secure the ends with nylon rope around the slide to hold the tarp in place. When you're ready to clear your slide tops just slide the tarp off one end or the other and the snow will come off with it.

I suppose a push broom would work, but that would mean having to get up on your roof... in the snow... when it's cold and wet out. ;)

It's best to try and keep them as clear as possible. You don't really want that additional weight up top, it's more likely that melting snow will find it's way past your seals, and if you leave it overnight, the bottom layer that will undoubtedly be saturated with water is likely to freeze to the surface. That's NO fun at all.

The tarp method is also handy when camping in forested areas to clear needles/leaves/branches as well before packing up.

We had slide-toppers on ours, a quick run in and out would shed a four inch snowfall, more than that we we'd use a broom to knock it off.

You need to be very careful as the roof will be slick, one missed step and you could fall a long ways and on something unfriendly too. When sweeping keep a bit back from the side gaskets when pushing the snow off, once the top is mostly clear go back and lightly brush them to get them clear.

Some slides will have issues with ice dams and can leak into the rig, them you have to keep clear while others never have an issue.

Speaking of ice dams, sweeping around your roof vents and air conditioners will prevent a dam and puddles from forming. A puddle that gets deeper than the vent lip turns into a cold shower inside!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Speaking of ice dams, sweeping around your roof vents and air conditioners will prevent a dam and puddles from forming. A puddle that gets deeper than the vent lip turns into a cold shower inside!

This is a very valuable tip to follow.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I have a long telescoping pole with a squeegee attached. I don't have slide toppers, and the few times I've had to clean off the tops of the slides I used a ladder. I'm not crazy about trying to clean off the tops by going up on the roof, because you have to reach over & out to be able to get to the edge of the slide.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

If it's necessary, I actually prefer the roof over a ladder. The "reaching" makes me feel unstable on a ladder and it's very difficult to get good leverage for pushing snow. Probably different if it was just a skiff, but if it's just a skiff I just let the heat from inside my rig melt it off. ;)

If I have both of my sliders in I'm unable to get to the rear if my trailer, or I would bring them in. I considered bringing in the biggest slider but am concerned about moving it with sub zero wind chill. That can't be good for it. Thinking about throwing a tarp over before snow then pull off after.

Next year I will be in southern Texas! Can't wait!

If I have both of my sliders in I'm unable to get to the rear if my trailer, or I would bring them in. I considered bringing in the biggest slider but am concerned about moving it with sub zero wind chill. That can't be good for it. Thinking about throwing a tarp over before snow then pull off after.

Next year I will be in southern Texas! Can't wait!

Wind chill won't have much impact on your slide in and of itself, but rather any moisture accumulation on the surfaces. I know what you mean though... with my slide in it's a exercise in contortion-ism to get to the "necessary room".

I highly recommend "goldilocksing" for future reference. ;)

It might lack a little "curb appeal", but the tarp method is pretty effective with a harsh snow fall. No ladders... no "roof time".

Archived