PHARMACY ON THE ROAD

BUGOUT20162018

Does anyone have info. on how to get your prescriptions filled while on the road?

We will be on the road for two to three years.

My wife is the one that will need this because my needs are covered by the VA.

We do not plan on buying into the unlawful health insurance scam.

We plan on paying out of pocket for what little she needs.

So far it appears to us that signing up for the ACA in our current state won't do any good when we are in, say, texas.

Any insight would sure help.

199 days until we leave.

thanks

We get yearly prescriptions for 90 day supplies that are refillable for a year. CVS, Walgreens and Walmart all will/can transfer your prescriptions from store to store. We have done this many times with all three. With CVS and Walgreens you do need to check the locations available in the areas where you will be because they are not universally distributed across the country. For example, there are relatively few CVS locations in New Mexico. It is my understanding that some states (NY I have heard is one) have restrictions on transferring prescriptions that have been transferred from another state.

If you have presriptions for any scheduled drugs/pain killers, it is my understanding that transfers are not allowed. there have been several threads including this one on the subject.

We use mail order pharmacies for both of our prescription needs. Mine come from the VA mail order pharmacy in Brenham, TX and Pam's come from Express Scripts and are paid for by insurance. Both are sent to our mail service and then forwarded to us wherever we happen to be by the Escapee mail service. Noting complicated at all, as long as you order refills early.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We get yearly prescriptions for 90 day supplies that are refillable for a year. CVS, Walgreens and Walmart all will/can transfer your prescriptions from store to store. We have done this many times with all three. With CVS and Walgreens you do need to check the locations available in the areas where you will be because they are not universally distributed across the country. For example, there are relatively few CVS locations in New Mexico. It is my understanding that some states (NY I have heard is one) have restrictions on transferring prescriptions that have been transferred from another state.

If you have presriptions for any scheduled drugs/pain killers, it is my understanding that transfers are not allowed. there have been several threads including this one on the subject.

thanks that's good to know

We use mail order pharmacies for both of our prescription needs. Mine come from the VA mail order pharmacy in Brenham, TX and Pam's come from Express Scripts and are paid for by insurance. Both are sent to our mail service and then forwarded to us wherever we happen to be by the Escapee mail service. Noting complicated at all, as long as you order refills early.

thank you

We also use Express Scripts for our maintenance meds and Walgreens for short term needs. We found that CVS isn't always available in the west, whereas Walgreens is. Don't use Wal-Mart because their pharmacies always seem to have huge wait times.

When we are in one place for a longer period of time, we set up a temporary address with Express Scripts (like in the winter when we are in Mesa) and get them mail directly to us. But it is so easy with Express Scripts since they give you a tracking # when they ship to Livingston and when the meds arrive in Livingston, we get an email saying they are in and then I send an email and get them sent on to us with our mail.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

CVS works well for us as we travel. I just order refills for pickup at a store that's convenient to where we'll be or are. And with CVS taking over the Target store pharmacies, we'll have even more locations to choose from.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We started with Wal-Mart but got tired of the huge lines and sometimes difficulty in transferring prescriptions. Switched to Walgreens. They are computerized and you can walk into any one anywhere and get an immediate refill. On rare occasions where there was no Walgreens we would go through the transfer protocol of the new drug store, which can be a pain. Only happened a couple times, though, as we could almost always plan to hit a Walgreens.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

We have used both Walmart and Walgreens. I do not find the Walmart waiting times any greater than Walgreens, but I do find the Walgreen prescription management computer system to be superior to Walmarts... and Walgreen's does have a 'Prescription Club' that costs about $35 annually that gets you better prices on pharmaceuticals if you don't have insurance coverage.

I would recommend Walgreens. That is who we still use for my Wife's needs. (I am on Medicare Part 'D', Humana @ walmart)

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

We use Wal Mart as well, but will definitely check out Walgreen's. Wal Mart has been easy - just call ahead to the store you want to pick up and have the store number from the previous pickup available.

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

We have used both Walmart and Walgreens. I do not find the Walmart waiting times any greater than Walgreens, but I do find the Walgreen prescription management computer system to be superior to Walmarts... and Walgreen's does have a 'Prescription Club' that costs about $35 annually that gets you better prices on pharmaceuticals if you don't have insurance coverage.

I would recommend Walgreens. That is who we still use for my Wife's needs. (I am on Medicare Part 'D', Humana @ walmart)

Jim

Thanks!, good to know.

Costco....I just fill the entire years prescription at ONE time. Mine of mostly common generics.

Pay out of my pocket...and it is still cheaper my insurance paying for it.

Call ahead to make sure they have an adequate supply on hand to give you a year at one time.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

We use Walmart. We also try to get 90 days for maintenance drugs. If you have a Scheduled drug (sleep aids, pain, etc.) these can only be transferred once rendering a 3rd refill at another pharmacy useless. We explained our travels with our family doctor and he has been understanding, working with 90 days supplies or 2 refills. Simple fax to the next pharmacy resets the process.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived