Filling Prescriptions for Pain Meds on the Road?

We were planning on hitting the road soon and were wondering how difficult it is to fill prescriptions for pain medication on the road and how one goes about doing it without hiccups.

Many thanks!!!

DiscussionFam,

You may want to do a "search" for this topic. It comes up on a regular basis. I must have some heavy duty narcotic meds. It is a problem that we have when on the road. Regulations now require me to pick up a physical prescription and take to my pharmacy. Obviously this is a major problem when on an extended trip. Please PM me for some strategies that I sometimes use. Best of luck. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I would say go with a national place like Wallmart, CVS or Wallgreens and you should be good to go. As they can look into there system for the prescription But it also could depend on what "pain meds" you are talking about. LOL

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I would say go with a national place like Wallmart, CVS or Wallgreens and you should be good to go. As they can look into there system for the prescription But it also could depend on what "pain meds" you are talking about. LOL

Rynosback,

"But it also could depend on what "pain meds" you are talking about. LOL" This statement is the heart of this issue. Since I have to take a couple of Schedule II drugs my state (I assume it is a national mandate) requires that I sign for the prescription and personally take it to my pharmacy for fulfillment. It doesn't make any difference whether we use WalMart, Walgreen's or CVS......... I have to physically handle the prescription ----- This prevents me from traveling too far from home ------ Or come up with some other method that will fulfill the latest requirements. Dennis

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

We have been doing that for the last 12 years, we use Walmart because its easy for them to transfer store to store and there's almost always a Walmart!

The OP's questions is not about the typical prescriptions that you can easily fill as you travel. His meds are controlled and are a lot more difficult to fill. Best of luck to you OP. This is a new glitch for full-timing.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

............... were wondering how difficult it is to fill prescriptions for pain medication on the road and how one goes about doing it without hiccups.

The entire answer to this depends upon what class of medication you speak of. The typical maintenance prescriptions are easily handled by getting a prescription from you doctor for a 90 day supply with three refills. Easiest way most of us agree is one of the mail service pharmacies, but that works only for drugs that are not restricted. If you happen to need one of the schedule II drugs that are now restricted, you will need to make some special plans to work around the legal issues. You can see a list of the schedule II drugs on this link and then compare that to the drugs that you or your spouse are taking. The best way to start your planning is to discuss any of these with your doctor. He can tell you what restrictions are and perhaps suggest something that isn't on the restricted list.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Heard others say that they asked to have there doctor write the script for 90 days!! Have not heard about longer terms!

Your prescriptions are usually good for one year.

I go to Costco and have a years supply filled at one time. They are much cheaper that way...in fact, I just pay for them. It is cheaper than going through my insurance.

Call around for a years supply.....one of my drugs varied from $5,000 at ShopKo....to $494 at Wal-Mart........to $84 at Costco.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Schedule II drugs are a different beast and can make life on the road more difficult. The drug I take, the doctor is only allowed to issue a prescription for 30 days. A refill requires a new written prescription each and every time, the Dr. can not just call in to the pharmacy for a refill prescription. After 2 refills (plus the original, so 90 days) I must see the Dr. again to start the cycle over again. In addition trying to get a early refill is almost impossible (like 2 weeks after previous refill).

Talk to your Dr. to see what options are available. 30 days are typically the longest we are on the road at any given time so with a little pre-planning in the months leading up to a longer trip we are able to arrange a refill prior to hitting the road and then a refill as soon as we return home.

Good Luck!

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

The only solution we found was that our doctor filled out several post dated prescriptions which we took to a local home owned pharmacy in a town we spent a couple of months in each spring and each fall. He filled one each month and mailed it to us.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

We visited the pain Doc yesterday and he came up with an interesting solution for us. He mentioned that he can send medical records to clinics a week ahead of time that can then prescribe the schedule 2 drugs. He mentioned that Escapees has a clinic in Livingtson that we could visit and pay out of pocket for the meds. He also changed the dose that can possibly be stretched out a bit more. So our Doc knew about Escapees as a former full timer! It is not a perfect solution but a solution of sorts for on the road.

So we are thinking of either using Costco or Walgreens for paying out of pocket for pain meds. Anyone prefer one over the other?

We visited the pain Doc yesterday and he came up with an interesting solution for us. He mentioned that he can send medical records to clinics a week ahead of time that can then prescribe the schedule 2 drugs. He mentioned that Escapees has a clinic in Livingtson that we could visit and pay out of pocket for the meds.

Please do post a report from time to time to let everyone know how this works out since it is one of those problems that effect many of our forum members.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Glad you found a solution and hopes it works for you as you travel. I'm curious what the out of pocket charge will be to you. Hope it's affordable!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 4 weeks later...

Effective October 1, 2014 DEA rules changed with regard to drugs containing Hydrocodone & Tramadol. As of that date there is a 30 day maximum on the quantity that can be written &/or dispensed AND there can be no refills.

Any "workarounds" are illegal for Physicians & Pharmacists.

This post is based on information provided to me by VA.

Ron

We've found that it all comes down to having a good, long-term relationship with the prescribing doctor - the laws are in place to control the distribution of drugs that can be easily abused, not inconvenience or place travel restrictions on a legitimate patient under the care of a physician.

A good doctor is going to respect the spirit of the law while showing some flexibility on the letter.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

We've found that it all comes down to having a good, long-term relationship with the prescribing doctor - the laws are in place to control the distribution of drugs that can be easily abused, not inconvenience or place travel restrictions on a legitimate patient under the care of a physician.

A good doctor is going to respect the spirit of the law while showing some flexibility on the letter.

I'm not clear on what you are trying to convey in this post. If you are saying your doctor will knowingly violate the law because you have a "good" relationship then I'd worry about the ethics of such a doctor. The law is the law. Granted one would hope that the law was not written in such a manner as to inconvenience an RVer. Unfortunately this is exactly what happens as the Government Gestapo goes ever further to try to win a "war" that is un-winable. In attempting to try to control some aspect of drugs; Laws are passed that end up hurting the "legal" guys.

As an example I used to take Claratin D. Finally had to give it up because so many laws were passed trying to clamp down on Meth Labs that it became almost impossible to get it. Did the laws stop Meth Labs? Nope! What it did was simply make it so difficult to get that many of us switched to another medicine. Luckily the new meds worked well enough...... But I would have preferred to stick with the Claratin D!

I'm not clear on what you are trying to convey in this post. If you are saying your doctor will knowingly violate the law because you have a "good" relationship then I'd worry about the ethics of such a doctor. The law is the law. Granted one would hope that the law was not written in such a manner as to inconvenience an RVer. Unfortunately this is exactly what happens as the Government Gestapo goes ever further to try to win a "war" that is un-winable. In attempting to try to control some aspect of drugs; Laws are passed that end up hurting the "legal" guys.

As an example I used to take Claratin D. Finally had to give it up because so many laws were passed trying to clamp down on Meth Labs that it became almost impossible to get it. Did the laws stop Meth Labs? Nope! What it did was simply make it so difficult to get that many of us switched to another medicine. Luckily the new meds worked well enough...... But I would have preferred to stick with the Claratin D!

exactly why you need to find a doctor who is focused on his Hippocratic oath, i.e. being a doctor and not a lawyer... There are always two ways to look at the law - what does it say to do, with rigidity and inflexibility - or what is the intended result (i.e. the spirit of the law).

A smart physician is able to serve the needs of his patients (do no harm), while still complying with the intent of the law (stop people from getting drugs who shouldn't have them).

When you speak of "trust", I personally would have much more faith in a physician who would work to get the medications for his patients that he felt they truly needed, rather than one who put up a bureaucratic barricade between his patients and the treatment that they required.

If you are more comfortable with a much more rigid doctor unwilling to stray the least bit from the narrow path that the government lawyers have given him to tread... then it's a free country - find a doctor who you can have a good relationship with!

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Archived