Thoughts on Roof Replacements

coachmac9

One of the things we knew we were going to have to replace on our RV when we made the purchase was the roof. I have gotten estimates from a couple of different sources and just feel like the cost is more than what it should be considering the amount of materials needed.(4-5 thousand dollar range) My question to you folks that have been doing this for a long time is this...have any of you re-done your roof yourself to keep the cost down and if so what type of coating product did you use? I am still in good health and would have no problem climbing around on the roof and the physical aspect of the work. I just feel like the savings would be tremendous and well worth my time and effort. Pros and Cons please!!! All suggestions appreciated...even the ones that think I would be crazy to undertake this job!!!!

Have you check on roll on roofing materials, check out some video, check into bedliner spray on.

www.epdmcoatings.com

http://rv-armor.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Roof-Repair-EPDM-Coatings/dp/B003U8IY4I/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Given all the screws holding down all the aluminium strips around the membrane perimeter, labour is a killer. I've done 2 trailers, and assisted on a couple more. The work isn't terribly hard, or skill intensive, other than lifting the roll of membrane up there. The bigger the roof, the heavier it gets. One of our units had enough roof rot that the whole plywood skin was stripped and replaced, which added to the work. If caught early enough, this can often be avoided. All roof penetrations received new hardware, such as new vents, tank breathers, fridge vent, etc.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

What material is your roof? There are liquid coatings for most roof materials that can be applied by an owner. I have not used one but the estimates you are getting sound pretty typical of what others have reported.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We had RV Armor coat our 36' rubber roof in October. From what I saw the expense isn't for the materials used as much as the labor involved. The couple spent 4 days (two were half days due to weather and a slow dry time for the rubber primer) and about 30 hours performing the coating. They also did the four slide roofs. They also give a lifetime warranty on the fifth wheel roof and no more caulking. Greg

edit, ours was $4500 which included $100 each for 4 slide roofs.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Roof Armor quoted me $3800 for ours. I have a lot of stuff that has to be removed before they can start. I can see a lot of labor that has to be done, so the cost seems reasonable to me.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks for the input guys. I have plenty of time during the summer so I am going to do it myself as it seems like a project that doesn't take a lot of special "know how" just a lot of "man hours" and sweat on my part...sounds like a perfect job for me!!!

As previously mentioned, I would strongly recommend watching as much video of people repairing / replacing / coating RV roofs before investing $$$ into an attempt. Regardless of which solution you choose or even if you pick someone else to do it, you will gain valuable perspective about the process, what the pitfalls might be, what to look for and what kinds of things might go sideways.

This is more about the time the work will hold up than it is about the cost. If done right, with the right approach and materials and replacement of all of the things that might not hold up another xx years, it is worth the time it takes to know all this before you start making choices.

There is a lot of content out there on Youtube, vimeo, and other streaming information sources. It's like free education in a can so make use of it. Good luck with whatever your choice becomes.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Thanks again guys for the advice. You can bet I will spend the rest of the winter months watching every video I can find and also ask as many questions as I can on the Discovery forum as well as this one. I am not in a rush so I should be able to find out all I need to know to either go forward with the project myself or allow someone else to do it. Thank you so much for all the input, one of the most valuable lessons my father taught me was to listen to as many opinions as possible before rushing to do something and that has served me well and kept me from getting in over my head on several projects.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an up-date...we decided not to wait till summer to do this and started yesterday afternoon. Watched endless hours of video on different products and decided to go with the liquid type of re-roofing material for a couple of reasons. The main one being it is much easier to handle (since it is just myself and the DW on the roof). Per directions, we washed the old roof and checked for bad spots. Took vent covers off and all the old putty that had accumulated over the years. Letting it dry today and will apply the roofing material this afternoon. The worst thing about the whole job...well, aside from getting my big butt up the ladder without falling off...is the black junk and white chalky material you get covered with. Other than that, not bad. Total materials cost will be in the 400 dollar range so it is well worth it when compared to the 4,000 dollars quoted...but I can also see where many folks would not want to be messing around up on the roof...it is a long way down and that sudden stop would really hurt!!!!

Glenn, I had Roof Armor install a new roof in October after a friend had one installed last winter. If you give me your email address I can send you some info & pictures I shared with a couple other friends who are looking into roofs. bahnmiller@hotmail.com

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Helped my brother this summer. It was a nightmare getting all the trim off and on. Hours plus you must clean all the trim before reinstalling for new sealing to adhere

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived