Our 2015 Fulltiming Expense Information

GR "Scott" Cundiff

Good job! Most would go up each year but you came down.

Thanks! I can't take much credit. It's mostly the lower fuel prices and finally getting a year without so many major repairs.

Last year, in particular, we spent a lot of time in California, paying their crazy fuel prices. This year we were in the upper Midwest, paying less than half what we paid out there. That really added up.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Thanks for sharing.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Thank you for sharing,I've been on the fence about full timing because of the expence. Now i know i can't afford it! Glad i found out now!

I don't know if you can afford to go on the road or not, but I do think that choosing not to do so based upon the expenses of other people is probably a mistake. Before you go to that extent, I suggest that you take the time to read a column written by the late Gaylord Maxwell and published in Motorhome Magazine back in 2001, but which is as valid today as it was back then. The column is linked below:

How Much Does It Take?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you for sharing,I've been on the fence about full timing because of the expence. Now i know i can't afford it! Glad i found out now!

Glad you find the information useful. I think the keys are: debt free (including the rig), health insurance (if below medicare age), using campground memberships (specifically for us, Thousand Trails), finding other camping situations that don't break the bank (Corps on Engineers), and planning your moves enough that you aren't driving zig zag across the country or doing lots of long moves.

Of course these aren't all created equal and no one of them has to be a deal maker.

The bigger money problems can be diminished by doing a lot of workcamping (possible income + no camp fees + less travel + less sightseeing = financial benefit). One of the great things about this lifestyle is that it's really a whole class of lifestyles centered on RVing.

His Full time budget has nothing to do with what your might be.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

His Full time budget has nothing to do with what your might be.

No one will be the same but this gives some general idea and he explains the 'whys'. Folks can easily add and delete depending on their circumstances.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If you don't want to fulltime, that is fine, but don't let one budget that reflects a lifestyle that maybe 180° different from your lifestyle be the reason. People fulltime on as little as $1500/month all the way up to $7000+/month, with everything in between. Everyone is different.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Fulltiming certainly does not cost any more than a stick/bricks fixed location. It CAN, however, it does not have to.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thank you all for your input, it gives me much more food for thought. what i was/am thinking of a 32ft winnebago journey,paid for. Me? retired, 69,$1200 month fixed income, aprox 90k in the savings acc. Would like to dry camp often.I just don't know what the maintenance cost of that coach would be. I'd like to try and get it right the first time! Nobody likes making expensive mistakes.

Again, thanks all

No one will be the same but this gives some general idea and he explains the 'whys'. Folks can easily add and delete depending on their circumstances.

I try to give people information they can use with enough detail that they can work to their own conclusions. I wrote a blog about reading other people's budgets a few years ago that might be helpful.

. what i was/am thinking of a 32ft winnebago journey,paid for. Me? retired, 69,$1200 month fixed income, aprox 90k in the savings acc. Would like to dry camp often.I just don't know what the maintenance cost of that coach would be.

When you look at budgets you also need to understand the lifestyle of the person who lives on it. We spent very little on campgrounds and there was one calendar year when we only paid for 9 nights of camping, yet we seldom dry camp. We do spend much of our time as RV Volunteers and so get our site for free. We also used the Escapee "stopin spots" on a pretty frequent basis and we stayed on property of friends quite a bit that year. Most years we paid for between 30 and 60 nights. But we did not skimp on things like admission to historic sites, parks, and museums so that expense was probably higher than some folks. We tried to supply enough information that a reader could also understand our way of life to compare to what they had in mind. Also, remember that most budgets are for two people so you would spend much less on things like health insurance and deductibles, significantly less on food, and so on. While a single can't expect to live for only half what a couple spend living in the same manner, the difference will be quite noticeable.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived