Genturi Exhaust System

SWharton

There is more to the issue than when and where you use the generator. The location of the exhaust from the generator is a factor and also the distance that it extends beyond the body of the RV. If it happens to be located where it could enter an open window, or some other opening into the RV. Yet another factor is the proximity from you to the openings of some other RV. In all of our years owning a motorhome with an on-board generator, we never did own any of those add on kits but, like you we seldom used our set and when we did it was nearly always where there were few RVs nearby. I did have the exhaust on our generator for the Allegro modified to move the exhaust point and to lengthen it to extend well beyond the rear of the RV. One of the major issues that those remove is to prevent your generator exhaust from violating the space of your neighbors.

While I have seen more than one of them in use, I doubt that any more than 20% of all RVs with generators use either the Genturi or any of the other such kits out there. But those who do so always seem to be happy with the result.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, we are in a quandry over this. Our exhaust comes out the back and I was originally looking to buy a few exhaust pipes to extend it higher so if needed we could run the generator going down the road. Looking at the price it seemed a better value to buy the Genturi system. We have a Protect A Tow and where the exhaust outlet is now would melt it.

I think we will just stop at NAPA and see what they have to extend the pipe a little.

The Rving life is never an easy decision.....................

You do not need anything extra to run the generator set when traveling on the highway. The motion of the RV and the air movement past it will remove any hint of exhaust from the RV an in most cases even if a window happens to be open, which usually isn't the case when traveling with the generator on. I use my generators to operate the roof air on both RVs on a frequent basis when traveling in warm weather. The Genturi type of kit is there for use when sitting still.

You should make sure that you have a working CO detector and that it is no more than 5 years old but that is true any time you use an on-board generator set, moving or sitting still. You are far more likely to have exhaust intrusion when not moving and you sure won't impact other RVs when traveling. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Understand your concern about the generator exhaust and the protect a tow, good to get it ready for running down the highway:)!

Most good muffler shops should be easily able to alter the location the exhaust comes out from under the RV. Moving it to the side, to clear the protect a tow. Just be sure they keep it tucked up as high as possible (ground clearance), and that it extends enough to clear the body of the coach.

The Genturi could still be a good idea, for the times that you mentioned. In tight quarters where running the generator is required.

The Genturi is also used often with Hydro/Aqua Hot exhausts too.

Best of luck to you, have fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The generator exhaust on our coach also came out the back where the Protect-A-Tow would be at risk while underway. To avoid that, I separated the pipe at an extension connector and added a sweep elbow to bring it out the side at the rear corner instead. Lacking the connector, I could have cut the pipe back as well. When parked and running the generator for more than a few minutes, I do install the Gen-turi. The noise reduction alone is worth the effort, plus of course the safety factor of routing the exhaust above the roof line. The cost of the elbow and a universal hanger was less than $10.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Check out the escapees RV accessories for sale forum, here is one for $60.http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=121249

I've seen some good buys on Genturi systems there from time to time.

FWIW, I have a pipe made at an exhaust shop for the genset. I think it cost $40 6-8 years ago. It does work, but it's heavy and hard to store since it is all one-piece of 12' pipe with a 90* bend and a foot of pipe to attach to the genset tailpipe. It gets hot after a few hours of use, and there is no way to hold it vertical other than the muffler clamp over the genset tailpipe.

My opinion, don't waste your money, buy the original Genturi for just over $120. My "cheap" pipe is in storage, too much trouble to haul and use.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just a caution for anyone reading this thread in the future. When altering any such type exhaust, say the generator and or a Aqua/Hydro hot, and of course the main power plant too - that you always have the end of any rerouted pipe, extending out far enough from under the coach, to not allow exhaust fumes to enter up from under the coach.

And another Captain Obvious sharing of info. On our every 6 month crawl under the coach for general inspection, I check all exhaust pipes and joints, to ensure nothing has rusted thru, shook loose, or been damaged by a piece of tossed up road debris or rocks. (Our Bounders generator exhaust, had been damaged by a toss up item, enough to start leaking gas/fumes under the coach.) I always have a roll of repair exhaust tape in my kit, for just in case...

OK, return to our normal activities:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Good advice, Smitty! I had to laugh when I took our generator exhaust extension off to add the elbow. The factory installed connector they used was a standard schedule 40 male iron pipe close nipple clamped inside the two pipe sections. I think replacing that with a proper exhaust pipe elbow probably reduced the previous restriction well below any small amount the elbow might have introduced, with or without the additional Gen-turi elbow included. :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived