youngfulltimers

I just posted a blog about us having generator issues in our used 1994 Fleetwood Flair. The Onan 4000 (picture attached) worked when we first purchased the RV, so we know it's capable of working. The first time we visited the RV in storage one week later, the generator also still worked.

But by the second visit, a mere two weeks into purchasing the RV, the generator would not sustain. Even as we let the motpr run and charged our batteries, the generator would still not remain on. We tweaked what we could on the generator and tried starting it from the outside as well as the inside but no luck. There are usually a few bangs as if the generator is beginning to turn, but it never sustains. Any tips on easy things to check before taking it in to be serviced? Any advice helps.

Thanks!

post-50888-0-75767600-1451453327_thumb.jpg

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

But by the second visit, a mere two weeks into purchasing the RV, the generator would not sustain. Even as we let the motpr run and charged our batteries, the generator would still not remain on. We tweaked what we could on the generator and tried starting it from the outside as well as the inside but no luck. There are usually a few bangs as if the generator is beginning to turn, but it never sustains. Any tips on easy things to check before taking it in to be serviced?

By "sustain" you mean that it doesn't start, or does it start but stop as soon as you release the start switch? If the engine starts to run but stops as soon as the start switch is released, that means that it is not generating electricity, as it is designed to do that. Checking the oil level is a good thing to do first, just as good practice, although I don't think that is the current problem. There is a low oil shutdown on an Onan and if oil level is too high or too low it will not continue to run, but usually will start and run for at least a few seconds.

Did the generator crank over at a good rate? The coach battery is what supplies the power for starting but if it turns over at a good rate but does not start to run, then the battery isn't the problem. The Onan also has an electric fuel pump that is on the set, suctioning from the main fuel tank some distance away and if that gets weak it can cause it not to start for lack of fuel. They do sometimes need to be replaced.

Your generator also uses a carburetor and if fuel has been allowed to sit in the bowl and evaporate, that will contaminate the float and other moving parts and cause it to run poorly or not at all. If it was running smoothly and carrying a load just a week ago, that probably is not the issue. It also has a fuel filter somewhere on it and that too is a possible problem. You can see the fuel filter in your picture, just above the upper left corner of the control panel and to the right of the spark-plug.

In the upper right corner of the picture is the air intake and I notice that you have the damper in the winter position. It may be worth trying it with the damper in the summer position, although I doubt that will change anything. The air filter is in that same area and may be worth checking, but that also isn't likely to be what your problem is. Tell me what it is that you "tweaked" as that could be in some way related, but probably isn't. The remote start is something that generally works or doesn't but when checking the set is is generally good to work from the local start switch so that you can hear and see what is happening.

If it is only firing occasionally and not enough to attempt to run, then I'd suspect a fuel problem, either carburetor, fuel pump, filter, or some part of that system. Don't worry about the coolant level as your Onan is air cooled and has no coolant. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You have gotten some great suggestions. I will add, the reason you need more than 1/4 tank of fuel, is most generator fuel pick ups are shorter than the main engine fuel pick up. This is to allow you to run the generator till it might quit, but you can then still drive the RV to get more gas.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

I'll reply as I'm reading to provide more context. Thanks for feedback so far. I will check oil and coolant levels, thanks. Also, the coach batteries read as full on my gauge and help power other items once charged. And to answer your first question, Kirk, the generator dies before I even take my hand off the starter...not immediately after.

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

And thanks for pointing out where the fuel filter is...I'll check that out as well. I should mention also that we have a half-tank of gas left. Seemingly enough.

Sounds like water in fuel. Since water is heaver than fuel it settles out, leaving gas to start the engine. After it has agitated a bit water mixes with fuel in carb bowl. Drain carb bowl then try again. If you hold the stop button it should activate the electric fuel pump to prime the downstream fuel system. It's all in the owners manual.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That's great insight, RayIN. Thanks for the input. I'll be working on it tomorrow... I'll update this post to let y'all know how your suggestions work out. Otherwise, we'll take it to the same place to be serviced as the previous owners... fortunately, it's a place close by us. I don't mind taking it in, but I also didn't want to overreact, so thanks again everyone for the advice!

Archived