Useful Allison transmission info

docj

Many older Class A's and most new ones are running with Transynd (TES 295) fluid. One thing I hadn't found was a definitive recommendation as to how often filters and fluids should be changed if you are using this fluid. I've seen all sorts of numbers tossed around in forums and there was a knowledgeable, former Allison technical type who said that the lifetime of the fluid should be nearly infinite with the usage most of us give our rigs, but I still was looking for a statement directly from Allison.

I just came across this document which provides the service intervals recommendations for the transmissions used in most motorhomes with either TES 295 fluids or conventional DEXRON: http://www.rvmobilelube.com/1099c.pdf

To summarize the recommendations for the 3000 and 4000 families of transmissions using TES 295 fluids, which are the majority of the ones found in DPs, the filter change interval is 75,000, 3000 hours and/or 36 months. The fluid change interval is 150,000 miles, 4000 hours and 48 months.

I've been changing filters on a ~4 year basis which, for us, corresponds to ~40,000 miles but <1000 hours. I'll probably maintain this cycle, but might go to 5 years.

As for fluid, I've been having fluid analysis done by JG Labs to verify that key parameters are in spec. I have ~50,000 miles on my Transynd fill but that only corresponds to ~1,250 hours. As long as I continue sampling I think that it's probably Ok to continue to use the fluid for another ~5 years without feeling like I'm putting myself at risk.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I agree with what you are doing, filter changes aren't too expensive so doing one every three to four years isn't a budget breaker. The fluid change is a lot more expensive and unless Allison has changed the rules forbidding flushing you only change about half the fluid, that makes testing and changing based on that a lot more cost effective plan.

Allison had a pile of great PDFs on their site last time I went looking, covered change intervals, acceptable fluids and lots of operational stuff that was good reading.

Fluid Sampling: http://www.allisontransmission.com/docs/default-source/service-documents/st1796-rev-b.pdf?sfvrsn=2

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I agree with what you are doing, filter changes aren't too expensive

My last filter change in 2014 cost was $46.72. Transynd change out of 16 qt cost $145.93.

So if joel is going 40K miles until his next change or more.

I only go less then 4K a year. Does that mean I can go 10 years before my next change?

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I am surprise that you did not mention that you called the factory directly?

The first of 3 things I did when we purchased a 2003 DP in 2006 was to call Freightliner, CAT, and Allison versus going online. I received very good recommendation by phone and email.

maybe times have changed

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

My last filter change in 2014 cost was $46.72. Transynd change out of 16 qt cost $145.93.

So if joel is going 40K miles until his next change or more.

I only go less then 4K a year. Does that mean I can go 10 years before my next change?

As long as the fluid tests well it really doesn't need changed so 10 years isn't all that unrealistic if you don't get dust or coolant contamination.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

As long as the fluid tests well it really doesn't need changed so 10 years isn't all that unrealistic if you don't get dust or coolant contamination.

I know that JG Labs will measure particulate levels for an additional fee above the normal test cost.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I've always been surprised at how many are concerned about MH transmission oil being changed on schedule, yet I would not be surprised at how many never think about transmission oil in their autos being changed, yet they have over 100,000 miles on their auto.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've always been surprised at how many are concerned about MH transmission oil being changed on schedule, yet I would not be surprised at how many never think about transmission oil in their autos being changed, yet they have over 100,000 miles on their auto.

Just exactly the thought this thread brought to my mind. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To follow that thought even further, I wonder how many Honda CR-V owners who use their vehicles as toads are aware that the owners manual recommends changing the transmission fluid of a towed vehicle at 30,000 miles and that this mileage is based on the total of driven and towed miles. Since ours is driven ~15,000 miles a year and we usually tow it another 10k miles, I have the fluid changed every winter. IMO it's cheap insurance.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

To follow that thought even further, I wonder how many Honda CR-V owners who use their vehicles as toads are aware that the owners manual recommends changing the transmission fluid of a towed vehicle at 30,000 miles and that this mileage is based on the total of driven and towed miles. Since ours is driven ~15,000 miles a year and we usually tow it another 10k miles, I have the fluid changed every winter. IMO it's cheap insurance.

We too change our transmission fluid regular, due to toad duties. The dealer I work with quite often will tell me it's too early to change, due to their records. And i have to explain to them that their is several thousand more miles not registered due to being towed behind the RV.

And as another aside from the transmission fluid change intervals, and filter maintenance. Don't forget to get those differentials serviced too. We had ours changed over to synthetic gear oil when we first bought the coach. And Colton suggested that I get it changed every 5 years, as they doubted the miles would ever become a factor.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Another often overlooked maintenance item is flushing hydraulic brake lines for gas Class A's and DP's with air-over-hydraulic or full hydraulic brakes. If you've never experienced the ultimate horror of having a brake line rust through from the inside because of water in the fluid, let me tell you that it isn't a fun experience. I had it happen to me in my old pickup truck, fortunately, and not my MH, but it wasn't any more pleasurable. However, long before a brake line would rust out, water in the brake fluid will degrade the braking performance of a vehicle, especially at high temperatures.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it tends to absorb water) so this can be a problem for many older coaches. I know of a number of European cars that have recommendations to flush brake fluid every 2-3 years, something that most other manufacturers appear to be silent about. I used to do it routinely in my VW's. Audi's and Saab's. I had the brake lines in my MH flushed last year and doing so helped to identify some nagging brake issues which had been around for a while but which no one could trace.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

docj, every auto mfgr I know of recommends a flush N change of hyd fluid in their lubrication schedule. I'm guilty of not following that requirement. :blink:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

My Toad manual says to change transmission fluid every 150,000 miles. with no time limit.

But it is not Pushing/Pulling over 11 ton Plus down the road.

Every 20,000 miles(32000 km)

Replace cabin air filter.

Every 30,000 miles(48000 km)

Replace climate-controlled (heated and cooled) seat filter.

Replace engine air filter.

At 100000 miles (160000 km)

Change engine coolant.

Replace spark plugs.

Inspect accessory drive belt(s).

Every 100000 miles(160000 km)

Every 150000 miles(240000 km)

Change automatic transmission fluid

Replace accessory drive belt(s) if not replaced within the last 100000 miles (160000 km).

Comparing a Car maintenance to a RV is NOT apples to apples. :rolleyes:

369070033.jpg

Triker the size of the transmission in each is directly proportional, so there is a common thread. Please satisfy my curiosity, exactly what make and model auto says to change transmission fluid no sooner than 150K miles?

Triker the size of the transmission in each is directly proportional, so there is a common thread. Please satisfy my curiosity, exactly what make and model auto says to change transmission fluid no sooner than 150K miles?

The one in my signature. 2014 Lincoln MKS AWD 3.5L(214 cu in) 365 HP Twin Turbo

I will never have to change it in my lifetime. I have had it for 15 months and less then 7K miles on it. At that rate it will take me 25 more years.

Or sometime after I am 102 years old. :D Maybe by then my 76 year old son will need to change it. :)

410564158.jpg

410564157.jpg

369070033.jpg

Very impressive specs! DW is shopping for a 4x4 auto that may be towed 4-down, and Jeep is almost the only option. Do you tow 4-down? I ask because that is our set method.

Back to AT's. Every year they become more advanced, and supposedly with less maintenance, but Jeep dropped the ball on that if I'm reading reviews and complaints correctly on the internet.

When I show her the specs and price for your Lincoln, she will probably go looking at them. Shoot, that's less money than a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the transfer case that has the neutral option.

Very impressive specs! DW is shopping for a 4x4 auto that may be towed 4-down, and Jeep is almost the only option.

Although the Honda CR-V (which we own) is no longer towable, there are a number of GM vehicles, including the Equinox, that can be towed 4-down.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Very impressive specs! DW is shopping for a 4x4 auto that may be towed 4-down, and Jeep is almost the only option. Do you tow 4-down? I ask because that is our set method.

Back to AT's. Every year they become more advanced, and supposedly with less maintenance, but Jeep dropped the ball on that if I'm reading reviews and complaints correctly on the internet.

When I show her the specs and price for your Lincoln, she will probably go looking at them. Shoot, that's less money than a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the transfer case that has the neutral option.

Yes I pull my MKS 4 down. You do have to run the engine every morning for 5 minutes before towing it and every 6 hours while towing.

It is heavy 4,680 lb is what mine weighted on the scales last summer. Also the MKZ 3.7L AWD is towable 4 down if she wants a more SUV type.

Blue Ox had the only base plate made for my 3.5L Ecoboost MKS.

Roadmaster does only for the 3.7L models

369070033.jpg

Archived