TV locations in DP's

Kiltedpig

Maybe it's just me but a TV mounted on the ceiling between the captain's chairs is just too small and too hard to view movies and sports from the typical double couches. I see that there are a few with a TV cabinet in other places but the majority of floor plans put the TV in the front. Is this a problem with others?

Yes that many are up where stated. Also many now are being mounted on swivel arms that lock into place while driving, and then can be adjusted Left/Right/Down when parked. This eases the viewing angle for those TV's located in front. And agree, many coaches have primary TV's located in different locations. Some along the back wall of a slide. Some across the way from one side to the other. Some sliding up from behind cabinet or couch.

Have fun looking!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I found one that had 2 couches across from each other. I took the smaller couch out and replaced with a entertainment center.

That worked for me. It contains/holds a 46" LED Smart TV, Home stereo system with Bose surround speakers, DirecTV Genie, Blue Ray DVD, VCR, and a PC Printer.

409708275.jpg

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

If I knew how to post a large picture I'd show you what we did. We have a 2000 Dutch Star that had a j-couch on the curb side. I had a cabinet built under the window on the curb side that holds a 42" Samsung mounted on a TV lift. I removed the j-couch and put in a loveseat in front of the cabinet, and installed two recliners across from the TV. Much more livable and watchable.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Yes that many are up where stated. Also many now are being mounted on swivel arms that lock into place while driving, and then can be adjusted Left/Right/Down when parked.

Our 40" TV is hung on the outside of the old TV box using a mount which can swing it nearly to the the center of the coach and which can drop it ~10 inches. That creates a much better viewing angle for everyone.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Biker 56, that is a great idea. Did you do it yourself?

Yep!! Got the entertainment center at Best Buy and put it together inside the MH. Then added all the other items and wiring.

I still use the front TV middle up high that I changed to a LCD 20" and watch it when at the kitchen table.

Plus have the bedroom 19" LCD, outside compartment 26" LCD and bathroom 9.5"

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Our 40" TV is hung on the outside of the old TV box using a mount which can swing it nearly to the the center of the coach and which can drop it ~10 inches. That creates a much better viewing angle for everyone.

Yep, it was Joel that shared his success with the moving arm TV mount that I copied. (I did use a different arm, but it worked the same way his does.) And, I've seen it also in a Class B Unity, where the gent buying it had it installed as part of the build process. Gets it down off the ceiling and improves the view angle to focus it on the sitting area. Then moves up and out of the way for when traveling.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

My 2006 gulfstream had the old style tv's in them. I figure about 100 lbs total weight is out. The 32in.in front is replaced with a 40in.smart flat screan. The one in the bedroom is now a 32in. smart flat screan. I built sub assemblies to mount the full motion brackets onto, this way I can swivel the TV and pull out from the wall to work on any wiring. Got the idea from looking at other MH. Swivel brackets work great.

• 1 month later...

Where is it when traveling? Looks like it would hit our head when driving

On ours, we had the traditional Country Coach angled Head Bumper cabinet removed. (This would angle out into middle area of the coach, and was always prime to get the hallow sound 'thump' when at least two or three times a month I'd bump into it with my head. Especially when wearing a ball cap, as the field of vision up was blocked...).

We had a larger cabinet built, that is now flush with the top of our dashboard as far as how far it projects into the cab area. The swivel mount is attached to the back of this, and the TV locks recessed into this cabinet while traveling. Pull a pin when in camp, and move the TV out and swivel it towards the slide out on the drivers side, where we have our two recliners. I find we usually just leave it at the almost ceiling hight, as with our recliners reclined - the view angle for the head is just about perfect.

When our daughter visits with us on trips, we keep it facing the middle, so we all have an equal viewing angle.

Also go take a look at some the cabinet makers websites at before/after shots. Lots of ideas can be learned from these. Davis Cabinet, Carr Industries, etc., etc.

Bst,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Where is it when traveling? Looks like it would hit our head when driving

When stowed the TV doesn't go below the bottom edge of the original TV cabinet. Maybe it's because I'm not all that tall, but I never felt that the cabinet was that big a deal as a head banger. Here's a photo of the TV in the stowed position.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Biker56, that's a great idea! We have almost the same RV and the small couch is pretty much useless anyway. I think, for us, the combination of your set up and Mariner's with the two recliners would be perfect for us. I miss my recliner terribly and my son says the couch is terribly uncomfortable anyway so I'm thinking that might be the next project for us!! Thanks for the ideas guys!!

OP: Are you looking at older models? If so, that was the normal place for the TV. I think you'll find that in new models there are a variety of placed for the install. Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived