No, this is not an advertisement for SmartWeigh

theboondork

I don't know if this is the proper place to put this topic so feel free to move it if necessary. I think one of the most important things to a new RVer is to have your rig accurately weighed because it is not only a safety issue but knowing the weights of your rig can save you a lot of money and heartache down the road. Years ago I weighed my first trailer at a truck stop scale and not only did I not do it the right way but I didn't know what the weights meant when I got them, it was a cheap way to weigh a rig but the information I got was worthless. But just recently I found a better way and it's the escapees SmartWay. I had my truck and trailer weighed while I was staying at the escapees North ranch in Congress Arizona and I couldn't have been treated better. The guys that weighed my rig were professional and knowledgeable and took the time to explain everything to me so the numbers actually made sense. So I would recommend to any beginning RVer to find the nearest SmartWeigh location and get your rig weighed by them and you will leave there not only knowing that your rig is safe but with the knowledge of how to keep it that way.

Fulltiming in an Arctic Fox 27-5L

My Website and Blog is theboondork.com

We recently did the Smart Weigh at Livingston and it was handled very efficiently, people friendly and very well organized.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I always weigh a new rig at the closest scale to be sure I don't overload it. But as soon as reasonable after loading I reweigh at an all-wheel place to get the added knowledge about balancing my load which makes a huge difference in ride, handling, and tire wear. I'm a big fan of 4-wheel weighing so was thrilled when Escapee's put in their first SmartWeigh at Rainbow's End since that's usually on my route.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We had our rig weighed at a bootcamp. The smartweigh results were invaluable in telling us exactly what pressure we should have in each of our tires. It was quite a bit different from the recommended pressures on the sticker inside the motorhome. The only way to know what tire pressure you should have is an accurate weight on each tire, and checking those weights on the chart from your tire's manufacturer.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

• 2 weeks later...

It never hurts to know how much weight you are hauling and where the load is or is not. Truck scales are good but most of the time you only get axle weights at those type scales. It is good to know actual tire weights so you know if the load is balanced and how to adjust the air pressure in your tires.

It is kind of like a safety thing.... YMWV

John in Joplin

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

We weigh the truck and Rv at least every two years at a rally. We have used smartweigh. It is a good thing to know exactly what you weigh.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It never hurts to know...where the load is or is not.

RV manufacturers assume you will have someone riding in the passenger seat. If you are solo it can be tricky getting enough weight in that corner of your RV. "I need 150 pounds of what up there?!" I took to storing tools and canned goods in my passenger seat in a bin strapped into the seatbelt. Not something I would have thought of doing if I'd not had an all wheel weighing done.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We got weighed at Congress with our truck and Carriage 5th wheel.

I was fine...learned a lot. I had a margin of 10%. I thought I had a larger margin than that!!

What it made me realize is that I wanted a larger margin.

Today I was towing my Casita (3000lbs) with my one-ton diesel truck. I got into a pod of trucks and RV's and really did not want company on the road. So I floored it and within seconds was a mile down the road looking at the POD in my rear view mirror.

I love towing the Casita.....I sweat towing the Carriage.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived