Onan Generator

freestoneangler

Seems like the majority of coaches we've seen have the Onan units. Are these as quiet as their same year of mfg. Honda counterparts? The older ones seem a bit loud and I hate to become that rig I loathe that drowns out the camp area. :o

Does Honda even make an LP version for on-board installation? I came up empty on my quick search.

I have never see (heard) a running built in generator nearly as quiet as a Honda (or probably Yamaha).

I do run my built in gas Onan generator to charge my batteries or run the microwave. I always try to run it a little as possible and at a time to minimize the irritation of any nearby boondockers.

I must add I really dislike hearing a running generator (even my own) in what should be a quiet camping spot.

Solar panels and a Lithium LiFePO4 battery are planned for this winter, so usage of my generator will be close to never.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Are you talking about a Honda being installed as onboard like Onans are?

I was wondering if that was possible too. The original generator is to loud...just wondering if a quiet Honda could be put in the same space as the original. That way all the wiring going away from the power plant could remain the same and no extra room would be taken up by the new one. Just thinking on a rainy day!!!

I was wondering if that was possible too. The original generator is to loud...just wondering if a quiet Honda could be put in the same space as the original.

You can't do that with one of the portables as they are designed to be outside surrounded by air. The builtin generator sets have an attached blower to provide cooling air through the generator box. There is more equipment required in order to enclose the generator set than to just put it outside on the ground. That is one of the reasons they make more noise since they have to do some things that portable units don't need.

I can't say that it is all of the difference, but it is a significant part of it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Interesting points... particularly Kirk's about the ancillary cooling of the Onan to allow them to be installed enclosed. I just found it odd that a company like Honda, who seems to have the best quiet technology, has not entered into the RV market. Perhaps designed for like install as the Onan, they would not be so quiet.

I see many 5ver's using the 2-3 kW, Honda units... why is it that the class A units demand so much more power?

There are only two manufacturers that I know of in use as installed sets for RVs, the Cummins/Onan and the Generac.

The built in generator sets are sized to be able to supply all 120V loads and also keep the coach batteries up, or charge them all at the same time. That means one or two air conditioners, a microwave, and all of the assorted other appliances. The little portable units are seldom more than 2Kw or at most 3Kw in size while the typical unit found in a motorhome of fifth wheel will be anywhere from 4.5Kw to as much as 7Kw is not uncommon.

Honda was in the RV market until about 8 or 9 (?) years ago. The EV4010 and EV6010 were and are stellar performers, but even with the factory muffler systems, not as quiet as the EU models. They were exceptionally smooth running and vibration free. They were apparently unwilling to make the investment into a market dominated by one player to meet new regulations. There are many still in everyday service.

In reference to Jaydrvr's post. When we got our new fiver in October of 2003 (2004 model) I wanted to put a Honda EV6010 in the generator cabinet in the worst way, as Onan and I don't have a good working relationship with one another. But the generator compartment was only large enough to put a Onan Marquis Gold 7500 in it as the Honda was just a little larger. After looking at many compartments in many RVs the size seems to only accommodate Onan. Not saying that the RV industry would be in collusion with Onan but to this day, if Honda came out with a size match that would allow it to fit in my space, the Onan would become a boat anchor!

You can't do that with one of the portables as they are designed to be outside surrounded by air. The builtin generator sets have an attached blower to provide cooling air through the generator box. There is more equipment required in order to enclose the generator set than to just put it outside on the ground. That is one of the reasons they make more noise since they have to do some things that portable units don't need.

I can't say that it is all of the difference, but it is a significant part of it.

I just bought my RV. 2007 Fiesta Fleetwood, 8500 miles. The generator has 51 miles on it and the RV has been taken care of. I tried to start the generator and it starts but stops after a few minutes. Could you give me a suggestion on what I might be able to do? Thanks, Maggie

Maggie Blair

I just bought my RV. 2007 Fiesta Fleetwood, 8500 miles. The generator has 51 miles on it and the RV has been taken care of.

Do you mean 51 hours? I responded to your question in the thread that you started so won't do so here.

Archived