Winch mount

GlennWest

What do you think of this. receiver tube to side of bed,piece of tubing inserted with receiver tube welded to it, slide this in with winch attached. no pulleys and winch is now portable. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307349_200307349

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

You need to sketch out what you are thinking. I think the mount can be used but needs to be modified.

If it is what I think it is, a couple of issues:

You need to allow height so that winch cable will not drag on bed side when car is on the ground. This means cable end at side of bed where winch is at needs to be higher than deck by "x" amount.

Now with no pulleys means the winch needs to be that high and must be mounted "y" inches away from bed so that car will not hit the winch and you have enough slack to allow unhooking the CSR so you can remove the winch.

Fairlead mount links like it might be on the wrong side of the winch mount you posted if you do not plan to use pulleys.

X and Y depend on your hitch point that you will be using on the car and how Long your ramps will be.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Having loaded and unloaded mine more than a few times, I'll add to SD's list.

• As the car gets closer to the winch, as currently configured, the cable will pull down on the bumper collapsing the cheezy material under neath, I've done it.
  • It is better to have an A frame stood off the side of the truck with 2 pulleys. The top one to be the same ht as the pull point on the car but offset left or rt of that same point...slightly. Sometimes the car rolls to the passengers side of the truck deck if loading with that side low. If it were to jump the chocks the A frame would stop it.
  • Doing it your way, you'd have to have cable disconnects, maybe forklift or auto wrecker plugs.http://www.globalindustrial.ca/g/material-handling/forklifts-attachments/chargers-connectors/Forklift-Plug-Socket-Electrical-Connectors
  • You would be doing a single pull which is very jerky. I have enough cable to go to the back of the car and back to the winch using a snatch block on the rear bumper. This gives me a slower pull and not jerky. My finger can still be on the remote with 1 hand and with the other turn the steering wheel or even wrench the car wheel in or out and keep the pull going.
  • Mine is a double A frame..2 deck receivers, Jacks' is 1 as I recall. 1 would do. It can easily be stored in the outside passengers side box under the dinette.
  • If you go a wired remote, have it wired to the drivers side if that is the side you load from. The wired remote has a 10 foot coily wire which snaps back just out of reach when stretched to the ramp side. So I also have a wireless remote and keep an xtra set of batteries in my battery storage compartment....Cab ashtray, I don't smoke.
  • A 2 ton Warn winch is more than adequate even for a single pull. This is what Herrin put on mine.

I can send or try to post pics of my installation but will need to drink a couple of Mango Vodka coolers as Photobucket is still a challenge.

Glen, Star Dreamer and Roger gave very good advise on this. I really like using a turning block also....it cuts the speed in half and makes the process smoother. The single line speed on most winches is too fast for my loading comfort. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I'll be going with Darryl's method, putting the winch on a bar between the two bumper eye bolts on the car. With the winch wired to the smart battery. No cable protection required, short control cable to your switch.

Darryl posted a picture just a short time back. Perhaps he'll check in shortly.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'm too lazy to tote the winch around. My winch is mounted and permanently wired.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm too lazy to tote the winch around. My winch is mounted and permanently wired.

Yes, I've been thinking of that too. My solution is to drive the car to the cabinet where the winch is stored, which is right under the nose of the car when loaded. Hook everything up, drive the car into position and winch 'er up. When loaded, just lower the winch, then the spreader bar, into the said cabinet, and slam the door.

After following this forum for several years, I've come to expect clever solutions from many of you folks. Darryl is high on that list.

That said, he's a good bit younger than I, and wrestling the winch should be much easier for him. :D

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I been kicking ideas around. Saw that mount and gears started turning. I likely go with Daryl's method. Very aware of pulleys advantage. My industry uses them on practically every lift. The more wraps the slower it is though. Anyone seen a 9 part cable lift. Turtle speed.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The part of my design I like, is that it's not locked to one vehicle, or one purpose. It's been used on the ATV, ratchet strapped to the front of a trailer to load a dead motorcycle, used in the shop to move material around, etc. The weight of the winch and crossbar isn't much more than some of the pulley/riser set-ups on here, and because it's a straight package, I feel it's an easier to handle package than some of the ideas. I may be just a kid, but almost all my years have been spent attending the "School of Farming".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl, I agree with you on dual purposing when possible and necessary, the more dual purpose items I have when kayak camping the less stuff I have to haul and the less weight I have to paddle, but I am getting older. I have one car, one truck and one trailer. No ATV, farm equipment, etc. Maybe I am just getting lazy :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived