Generator on a HDT

mjdenn

All

New member and my first post. As we continue to research our needs for full timing we started with Class A's and are now looking at HDT's. We appreciate the additional room and safety provided not to mention some redundancy if something breaks. One item that continues to concern me is that the presence of a propane generator in the trailer. Wife thinks that I'm making to much of it but between heat and generator usage I'm concerned about consumption.

With a class 8 truck having excess weight capacity available I wonder if anyone has contemplated installing a diesel generator either on the deck within a hush box or if possible behind the wheels. Generator weight for a 10K unit is between 520 (naked) and 765 pounds for a unit with an enclosure. We would be happy to downsize to a shorter cab if needed in order to support a generator (24" deep) and a smart bed while maintaining a reasonable wheelbase.

Thanks

mjdenn

Robert Springfield has a genset on his truck. I contemplated it as well but my propane genset only weighs 330 lbs and I liked having my pin weight a little heavier.

NO vibration in the bedroom when it's on and I like the convenience of simply flipping the switch if I need it (versus going out to the truck and plugging the coach up to it).

Running off diesel was very tempting but a propane genset will have fewer fuel issues when left idle for too long.

IMHO

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I have a 6500 watt propane generator in my fiver, I am going to remove it and use a 25KW diesel generator. My use profile doesn't fit the average RVer but, I really like a single fuel RV. Plus as you mention the cost of propane over the life of the system is quite high. I personally have gone all electric in my fifth wheel, I don't "camp" in RV camps so my generator use should not be an issue. If you keep the RV multi fuel you should have plenty of power with 8~10KW.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

25kw??? The guy who works on my truck just got a 15kw and it's not small. Got it used, 14 hrs, paint still on the muffler for a 12k trade for a Bobcat. A 25 is huge. Even with the 15 as a backup, he won't have to switch around circuits.

Mine is a 7kw Whisperquiet Diesel. I first mounted it fwd of the fuel tank, passengers side. Noise wise it was 85 db's.

If your generator is not too big and not too noisy you will be ok. If it is bigger and noisier, that location is not easy to build a sound enclosure. I have looked into this extensively.

If propane where will your tanks be? They have to be outside and vented.

You can run your power to the back of the truck with outlets (50 amp) there. In my case my inverter is at the front of the trailer where the generator would have gone so I have another shorepower cord up front. Having a 30' cord there helps when power posts are in the wrong location in a park.

My be was built by Herrin as were a number of others here. There just wasn't enough room to install the genset behind the rear wheels hence the fwd location. Installation inside the stock enclosure was out of the question. The overall size was too great when you factor in cooling space requirements and the radiator with the built in fan.

You could also mount the generator on the back of the truck behind the cab but you would scrap your chance of carrying a Smart car.

Access for service is another thing to consider. It needs to be oriented so you can get at things.

Roger

It is going to depend on your power needs what size genset you get. Assuming a"typical" RVer you might consider the following:

• 5500-6500 LP genset in the trailer
  • a large battery bank
  • a large solar array

This gives you a reasonable amount of energy to use via inverter, with the genset mainly used for battery charging when solar is not enough or to supplement the solar charging - although it would be large enough to handle running two airconditioners in a pinch. But typically you would not need that.

This is the setup I have had on various rigs for a number of years and it works well for US....it may not meet your needs though. As already mentioned, LP tolerates abuse WAY better than any other fuel type.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks to all for the replies. My thinking was to go towards an all electric trailer. The 10K requirement was driven by the fact that it is the smallest genset that would output 220V. On the surface it would open up options for an induction cooktop and a 220V dryer. Just one more item to add to the equation.

Mjdenn

Thanks to all for the replies. My thinking was to go towards an all electric trailer. The 10K requirement was driven by the fact that it is the smallest genset that would output 220V. On the surface it would open up options for an induction cooktop and a 220V dryer. Just one more item to add to the equation.

Mjdenn

I must have missed the memo re 10k requirement. One thing to consider is an 1800 rpm unit makes less noise than one that runs at 3600. There are used gensets on line at some of the RV Wreckers.

Do you plan to use the sleeper or dinette in the truck? Mine gets used for storage.

R

MY HDT came with an APU. It has a 7500 watt generator and I have independent (from the main engine) heat and air conditioning in the cab. I also use it as a donkey engine to start up the main engine on cold days.

You might want to look into installing an APU unit. The APU on my Volvo is on the left side. I have a DPF on the right side.

Archived