Researching Trucks for Full-Time Living

mkbix

Whose "they"?... I' NEVER heard anyone call a 350/3500 dally A HDH, never, I personally don't know anyone that would allude to a 3500/350 dully pick up as being same as a Semi/HDH, and I've been towing for Over 40 years..Must have been uninformed brand new rv'ers, or not very smart... Almost all I know that own the 150/1500, 250/2500 and 350/3500 series trucks, (INCUDING 350/3500 DUALLY's), KNOW THEY ARE ONLY LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS....IT WOULD BE ABSURB TO THINK OTHERWISE, ( a lot of us are actually educated and grow and change and learn with the changing times, or we wouldn't have survived). Anyone who has been RV'ing for a while knows these things..but if one wants to continually dig at others, the above quote would be one way to do it.

????????????????

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

????????????????

Ok, I'll bite??????Just saying , I, and quite a few others aren' as clueless or unknowing about out trucks, what they actually are and how much they can actually tow as some HDH/HDTs owners would like to make us out to be...as I've seen time and time again in post by said group to continue to question if I REALLY know what I'm talking about..

EVERYONE knows that a HDT would be able to tow any 5er one could tow, BUT, it's not necessarily a necessity in today's world. I don't need a 1 ton dually to tow a 6' box, no frills pop up...it would easily work...BUT so would a lot of regular cars and all 1/2 ton trucks...There is an application for what you're going to tow and what you're going to tow it with. People who want to learn how to "put a combo" together, do the research, do the math and should use common sense in this process, to figure it out..A lot of us really understand this, and know how to do it.

I said, to preface comments that I've made... I STATED, based on fact, that a truck,equipped like my truck could safely tow ORIGINAL POSTERS choice of 5th. Wheel (16K to 19K GVW), and have been challenged for said statements by HDT owners since..Even told the OP that if they didn't want a dually, ( OP also stated that), for them to the go to a lighter 5er.

About 8 years ago, I could have gotten a really good deal on a Teton 5er, BEAUTIFUL unit, Wife and I wanted it sooooo badly, BUT, I KNEW, I'd need a HDT to tow it..would be only way I'd tried towing it...but, just wouldn't work for our lifestyle at that time, so we stayed with a unit my truck could safely tow...all that to say, If you need a HDT to tow your 5er with, or a MDT, then best get one, but IF YOU DON't need one of those to tow your 5er with and you can stay under your 3500 duallys recommended GVWR, as well as GCWR, and can do it safely, there shouldn't be anything wrong with that either...

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3
2016 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/LB/4X4/Aisin/4.10 Longhorn, rear air assist suspension
B&W OEM RVK3600 Companion hitch

Ok, I'll bite??????Just saying , I, and quite a few others aren' as clueless or unknowing about out trucks, what they actually are and how much they can actually tow as some HDH/HDTs owners would like to make us out to be...as I've seen time and time again in post by said group to continue to question if I REALLY know what I'm talking about..

I said, to preface comments that I've made... I STATED, based on fact, that a truck,equipped like my truck could safely tow ORIGINAL POSTERS choice of 5th. Wheel (16K to 19K GVW), and have been challenged for said statements by HDT owners since..Even told the OP that if they didn't want a dually, ( OP also stated that), for them to the go to a lighter 5er.

I've not seen any HDT owners questioning your statements. People choose to own HDTs for various reasons. I rarely see any HDT owners badmouthing non-HDT owners. One chooses the tow vehicle for many reasons. As long as it is safe I'm not sure why anyone would care what someone uses to tow with. Everyone makes their own tradeoffs.

It is time to move on - at least for me - this topic has answered the OPs question and I'm not sure there is any other info to be obtained on this topic in this thread - unless the OP has an additional question.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've not seen any HDT owners questioning your statements. People choose to own HDTs for various reasons. I rarely see any HDT owners badmouthing non-HDT owners. One chooses the tow vehicle for many reasons. As long as it is safe I'm not sure why anyone would care what someone uses to tow with. Everyone makes their own tradeoffs.

It is time to move on - at least for me - this topic has answered the OPs question and I'm not sure there is any other info to be obtained on this topic in this thread - unless the OP has an additional question.

Good points to ponder...

Recently on the HDT forum I posted a question regarding the Duty-Cycle of trucks that tow fairly large loads related to rated-load data.

Many HDT owners have (or have towed) with LGT's and have found the Duty-Cycles of LGT's taxed somewhat as tow loads climb....

Glenn is a example of a chap that has towed with a LGT but desires to try a Higher-Duty-Tow truck.....

Different strokes for different folks....

I am the "mongrel-dog-in-this-fight" I own a few LGT's , one MDT and one HDT so I .....can go with any side in this food-fight.....

Drive on........(Stay within your.....Duty-Cycle)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Whose "they"?... I' NEVER heard anyone call a 350/3500 dally A HDH, never, I personally don't know anyone that would allude to a 3500/350 dully pick up as being same as a Semi/HDH, and I've been towing for Over 40 years..Must have been uninformed brand new rv'ers, or not very smart... Almost all I know that own the 150/1500, 250/2500 and 350/3500 series trucks, (INCUDING 350/3500 DUALLY's), KNOW THEY ARE ONLY LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS....IT WOULD BE ABSURB TO THINK OTHERWISE, ( a lot of us are actually educated and grow and change and learn with the changing times, or we wouldn't have survived). Anyone who has been RV'ing for a while knows these things..but if one wants to continually dig at others, the above quote would be one way to do it.

Sorry I actually had to work a little today....

"They" are the uninformed, the folks that believed the sales guy when he said they can tow anything with the truck. Be it a dually or srw. But "They" don't understand that they need the right package installed/built with the truck.

You can usually see the "They's" during Memorial day, July 4, and Labor day weekends at most campgrounds.

You have to remember, not many folks actually pay attention or care to look under the bling and shiny stuff to see what they actually bought.

Please don't take this personally, Most people on this forum are experienced long term RV'ers. Many of us, like yourself, have bought and sold half a dozen RV's of different sorts over the years. Many of us learned the hard way in the '80's, 90's 00's, that very few pickup trucks could safely tow the RV's we called home. So the alternative until very recently was to go big. With big being a semi. The MDT market has only recently caught up to the hp and tq levels needed as well, with the MDT's having high 5 and low 6 figure price tags. So a used semi, converted into whatever configuration you wanted was the cheapest option.

Safe travels

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I've been reading with much interest, I too am considering the switch from Class A to Fifth Wheel and am looking at truck options. I just came from the Dodge dealer near me, test drove a 2016 3500DRW, diesel, Laramie edition. Nice truck but not nearly $69500.00 nice! I looked at the video of Red Rover that is on sale on this forum, what a difference! There is no comparing the two. They are two different animals but really for what you get for the money. The Dodge while nice, I just can't see that truck holding up. $69,500.00 DOLLARS! For a pickup truck!!

Sorry I actually had to work a little today....

"They" are the uninformed, the folks that believed the sales guy when he said they can tow anything with the truck. Be it a dually or srw. But "They" don't understand that they need the right package installed/built with the truck.

You can usually see the "They's" during Memorial day, July 4, and Labor day weekends at most campgrounds.

You have to remember, not many folks actually pay attention or care to look under the bling and shiny stuff to see what they actually bought.

Please don't take this personally, Most people on this forum are experienced long term RV'ers. Many of us, like yourself, have bought and sold half a dozen RV's of different sorts over the years. Many of us learned the hard way in the '80's, 90's 00's, that very few pickup trucks could safely tow the RV's we called home. So the alternative until very recently was to go big. With big being a semi. The MDT market has only recently caught up to the hp and tq levels needed as well, with the MDT's having high 5 and low 6 figure price tags. So a used semi, converted into whatever configuration you wanted was the cheapest option.

Safe travels

I understand... I've been able to spend more time on the forum, than I ever would have due to having experienced a stoke recently, or I would be working also.( I'm 65 and hadn't planned on retiring till next year when I turn 66). I plan on going back to work, Good Lord willing. Between occupational and physical therapy, I can now walk with a slight limp, but without a cane, left arm useage is going much slower. It's been scarier to me than when I was in combat in Vietnam Nam...but I was much younger then :) Hoping I can get close to back to normal and continue our camping soon.

I too over the last 40 years have purchased many an RV and TVs and learned the hard way at times what I should have done....With an Engineering background and spending my entire adult life in manufacturing, I decided to learn and understand all I could digest with "the numbers" used to define recommend towing weights for TVs and GVWs on what we tow... CAT scales became my friend years ago. I just try to share at times, using facts and life's learned experiences.

Safe camping to all of you, have a great day and weekend

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

I've been reading with much interest, I too am considering the switch from Class A to Fifth Wheel and am looking at truck options. I just came from the Dodge dealer near me, test drove a 2016 3500DRW, diesel, Laramie edition. Nice truck but not nearly $69500.00 nice! I looked at the video of Red Rover that is on sale on this forum, what a difference! There is no comparing the two. They are two different animals but really for what you get for the money. The Dodge while nice, I just can't see that truck holding up. $69,500.00 DOLLARS! For a pickup truck!!

Where do you live? A 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW like one you're describing can be had for mid 50,000's I wouldn't pay 69,500 either, that's ludicrous..and don't know very many who would...do the search on Internet...usually easy to get 8 to 10K off WINDOW STICKER on a 16'. A 2015 should ave 10-11K deducted from window sticker on most websites, AND most are offering an"E- price", which is yet lower.

You are correct, no comparison between a HDT and a 3500 DRW pickup...Apple to peas comparison.. But each has their application and if the numbers work, and I can tow the 5er safely and be under all my trucks recommended weights, I'll go with pick up. Don't want to add cost or insurance for even a Smart car... So, in my case, I have limits to what I can tow, and 5er in my sig is under all my trucks recommended rowing weights, and can tow it safely...I can drive my truck year round as daily driver and TV...like has been stated by others, each has their own taste and as long as they're towing safely and under their trucks numbers and it works for them, who cares what you tow with..:)

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

NC . why not come to the ECR ? Is it close to you ? Be nice to meet someone from the 'other' forum ,been reading your posts for 10 years.

Ralf

Hey Ralf, I've seen you on the "other" forum also , and been reading your post for a while too, Where is the ECR?, ( Don't know the acronym)....If it's close, I'd certainly try to meet up..it's nice to put a face to the name we use on these forums. Little hard to get around now, but I'm game. My wife would also probably enjoy it.

Jim

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

Looks like it's approx. 178 miles from where I live... would be a nice drive...April 5th. thru April 12? Surely by then I'll be able to tow...Will talk to the wife tonight Ralf, thanks for the invite:)

Jim

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

I didn't know it was just a HDT rally...believe I'd be a bit out of place with my pick up truck:)...That area is more hilly than mountainous as in and around the Asheville NC area where I live. Maybe if allowed, I could visit the campground and try to meet up with you one day during the event....

Jim

2016 DRV MS36RSSB3

I didn't know it was just a HDT rally...believe I'd be a bit out of place with my pick up truck:)...That area is more hilly than mountainous as in and around the Asheville NC area where I live. Maybe if allowed, I could visit the campground and try to meet up with you one day during the event....

Jim

Everyone is welcome at an HDT Rally. And that truly means everyone. We typically have people in hotels without RVs and peopel in smaller trailers with pickups, and even people in tents. So everyone is truly welcomed. I doubt you will find a more accepting group than the HDT Rally's.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A bunch stay a extra week to unwind, because Suite Success keeps things hopping ,we stay .Like Jack states , always a few pick-ups or people camping in the cabins,it is most definatly NOT a exclusive group ,heck they even let motorhomes in. :ph34r:

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived