2006 Volvo 630 Jake Brake & Cruise Control Inoperative

TexasDually

I have the Volvo 12.1 with a 10 speed. My Jake brake is the single position, either on or off. All of a sudden my Jake brake, and my cruise control stopped working. I almost think it may be a fuse, but when looking at the fuse panel, there is nothing labeled as cruise, or Jake or engine brake. I looked through the resource guide, and there isn't anything there about it that I could find.

It could very well be a coincident that both failed at nearly the same time. I hadn't used the cruise in a while, since most of my driving had been local until coming to the Rally. The Jake brake was working one day, and the next time out it didn't work anymore.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

2006 Volvo 630, 10 spd, 465 hp D12 1650 torque, Tandem Axles (Texas Dually)
18' Dovetail Flatbed with EZ Slide Ramps by Texas RV & Toy Hauler Conversions
30' Flagstaff Bumper Pull Travel Trailer
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.5" Lift (Night Crawler)

Tex,

Not sure how to word this but here I go..........

Recently I needed to disable the power to the cruise control on our Freightshaker with a M11. and even with the power removed from the cruise circuit the jake would function normally HOWEVER .......IF I flipped the cruise switch to the ON position with the cruise circuit power off then the Jake would NOT function......However IF I turned the non-powered cruise switch to the OFF position and the jake was still ON then the jake worked normal whenever I took my foot off the throttle.............

In other words it appears that the jake on our truck has to have power to the cruise circuit IF the cruise switch is ON or else the jake will not receive power to function if indeed the cruise circuit has failed power-off.........

Not sure your Volvo has this "feature".........

I have been told that the theory is that the feature of the jake is off with the cruise is in the on position is to diable the jake from unexpectedly deploying if the cruise is failed power in the switch on position.................

Heck when I read the above...........it's hard for me to explain what I intended to say.........about as clear as mud, huh??

Might better to say that on the Freightshaker the jake works best when power is supplied to the cruise circuit no matter what position the cruise switch is in..........

I would imagine that if you were get your cruise control operational that the jake might just "heal" it's self..........

Good luck,

Drive on..............(Cruise and jake are nice........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Check the switch on the clutch pedal, it works both the jake and the cruise.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Found out if you don't use your brakes after starting and pulling out the cruise will not engage until after you push on the brake pedal. Engine brake may have the same issue. The engine brake doesn't come on until the engine is warmed up too. It can take a couple miles before it will engage on my 2001.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Like you, I have a 2006 Volvo w/D12, and had a few issues with the cruise until I got "educated". Don't remember if it affected the Jake or not though. Issue #1, was sometimes after a stop the cruise would not re-engage, RickW came to my rescue and informed me, while up to speed, tap the brake 3 times, then hit the set button. It works, but don't have to do that very often. Issue #2, was once while cleaning the inside of the truck, I must have somehow tweaked the brake light switch, and the cruise would not work at all until I bent that little wire back in place. I can't remember now if it was bent enough to turn the brake lights on or not, but I'm sure it would of had to. Again, can't remember if it effected the Jake or not either. Good luck. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I have a 2004 630 with a freedomline tranny. The time my cruise would not engage the brake pedal needed to be adjusted. Until I could get that done I put a baby bungy cord on the pedal to hold it up far enough and the cruise worked fine. No clue on the engine brake.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

A noisy throttle position sensor will also prevent Jake and Cruise control from working. I cleaned mine and it worked for awhile but got noisy again. I replaced it quite a few years ago and it has not failed since.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

WOW... I have a lot of different items to check. Looks to be mainly clutch and brake position sensors and switches. Ok I am going to take each suggestion and go down the list until i find the right answer and fix my gremlins. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Looks like it is the clutch switch. I went to an off road event this weekend. While traveling to the event I pulled up on the clutch pedal with my foot and then the Jake worked. But it isn't a fix. More or less just diagnosed it this way. I have a Gen 2 Volvo, I looked up underneath, but nothing looks like it is a switch. Anyone have any info as to what it looks like, or where it is located?

Thanks Scott

IIFC it's a micorswitch with a long spring type actuator that just contacts the clutch pedal. Not very elegant way of doing things but it works.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Here's the new part number for the brake pedal micro switch 82274560 I paid $15.17. You also need the new style bracket. You might also need a small screw and nut to mount the new style switch to the new bracket. The switch comes with a coiled lever that looks like a spring and that's what actuated the micro switch. IIRC the clutch uses the same switch and bracket assy. You may also need to remove the kick panel to get to the switches.

Looks like it is the clutch switch. I went to an off road event this weekend. While traveling to the event I pulled up on the clutch pedal with my foot and then the Jake worked. But it isn't a fix. More or less just diagnosed it this way. I have a Gen 2 Volvo, I looked up underneath, but nothing looks like it is a switch. Anyone have any info as to what it looks like, or where it is located?

Thanks Scott

If you lift up on the pedal and it works, it may be the clutch pedal return spring, they break quite often. If the clutch is adjusted properly you should have about 1 1/2" of free play at the top, if you have to pull up on the pedal to get the free play then the spring is broke. Look up under the dash it will be attached to the clutch lever arm.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Thanks for the info. I have an idea what I am searching for now.

Until you find the permanent solution the baby bungee on the pedal works well and keeps the cruise working for you. I used it for 2 months until I got back to the shop I wanted to use.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Here's the new part number for the brake pedal micro switch 82274560 I paid $15.17. You also need the new style bracket. You might also need a small screw and nut to mount the new style switch to the new bracket. The switch comes with a coiled lever that looks like a spring and that's what actuated the micro switch. IIRC the clutch uses the same switch and bracket assy. You may also need to remove the kick panel to get to the switches.

is that part number for the Volvo motor or the Cummins ISX?? there are times where the part numbers are different and things in the cab are definately wired

different with the Volvo Motor.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Archived