Questions for Hayes air trailer brake controller users

CrazyCooter

Has anyone else found their Hayes controller to be noisy upon first brake application? Mine makes an annoying clicking noise and then it moves over to the right at a pretty fast rate.

Also having a hard time modulating the trailer brakes and I think it's because it takes so little pressure to stop the truck. If I dial it down it won't even activate the trailer brakes. If I dial it up, the trailer brakes are real touchy.

I upgraded the wiring in the trailer to help with the poor brakes when I first got it. Then found out they had installed 6K brakes with 7k axles on our originally tandem trailer with a 16,000 gvwr. They covered the 7K brake install and that made a bigger difference. Then I added the 3rd axle and this was almost satisfactory for stopping with a pickup!

Another thing I notice is that the trailer will yank the Pete pretty hard when manually testing the brakes. It doesn't do it in the Dodge despite it having a Maxbrake installed. The only thing I can think of is that the Pete was wired with 10ga throughout the braking system and the dodge is using the factory wires. WOuldn't you think the yank would be more noticeable in a 10k pickup then a 20k truck?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

On ours, a 1/4 turn of the knob makes a difference. I have it set so the camper leads the truck slightly, but the truck actually stops the trailer. Using just the johnson bar, there is a noticeable tug from the rv. Maybe on level ground the rv brakes would eventually stop the truck. The wiring is 12gauge on ours but I don't think that would make that big a difference.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'm thinking mine might have a sticky spot right at initial engagement.... Have to check that out. Miss my Maxbrake, but I think this is our best option for now and it would better serve me in the pickup.

If memory serves, our brake wiring was originally only 14ga in the trailer. Dexter's own recommendation on a 4 brake system of my trailer run is 10ga min. No surprise some bean counter had a hand in that! It is now a 6 brake system and still have some in reserve. Adding an additional ground at the axles help as well.

I think the bottom line is it's a challenge to feel when the trailer is doing it's fair share with the brakes these trucks have

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I installed mine at the ECR, and it does exactly the same thing, clicked and moved rapidly towards engagement. I have to adjust mine almost to full to get it to apply properly. Steve Dixon has one on his truck, I showed it to him, his doesn't do it, but my new one does. There isn't a lot of total movement so manual application is tricky. But there again we are using 1950's technology here. It does what it is supposed to do. There are not a lot of choices out there for direct proportional brake appliers. Everyone seems to favor inertia types, which don't work well in our vehicles.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I think the problem is peoples' budget for safety products has dropped in favor of convenience and a couple of larger corporations have either acquired and discontinued or run the "Good" brake controller manufacturers out of business.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

If I could find a MaxBrake I would use it, but nobody is getting rid of theirs. I'm surprised that the owner of Max hasn't done a limited run, preorder only, etc.

In the Dodge, I had excellent results with the P-3 from Tekosha. Expensive but was worth it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 2 weeks later...

Archived