ELECTRICAL HELP GPS COMPUTER OUTPUT TO RADIO INPUT

Refuzn-To-Grow-Up

I have a 2008 Volvo 780. I use a desk top computer for my GPS system. I would like to take the speaker output from the computer and feed it into the Volvo radio input so I can hear the GPS program directions on my radio speakers. I am severely hearing impaired and I need a little more amplification, to hear the GPS instructions.

I have tried installing computer speakers, close to my head, and that is marginal. I suppose I could also looked into amplified computer speakers to solve my problem.

My car radio allows the nice GPS "lady" to talk to me through my car speakers. So, I was just wondering . . . . . . . . .

In the radio literature, that came with the Volvo, it states that the radio has two inputs. One is for a cell phone and one is for GPS.

Anyone have any ideas?

If you are wondering why I use a full size desktop computer for my GPS, it is because I can easily upgrade software and monitor as technology improves. The DW can access the internet while we are driving. I will eventually have a drop down monitor over the work station that will allow me to check email, watch a movie or program the next day's trip.

Replace the factory radio. I have a Kenwood that talks to my phone USB and also works properly with Blurtooth. It feeds the factory Volvo power amp and sounds great!!

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I use a set of separate amplified speakers for my PC in the truck.

Among numerous other things, one big feature is that the PC speakers stays on at a clear level when the radio get muted when the CoPilot is on the phone. Navigation takes precedence over talking.

Navigation Computer Speakers

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Lol. That covers the entire spectrum of options.

Btw, I have a second head unit available. Identical to the one in the Volvo but new in box.

It was supposed to go into the Expedition but life got in the way. A decent offer would secure it and I am absolutely certain it works fine in a Vilvo!

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Btw, I have a second head unit available. Identical to the one in the Volvo but new in box.

It was supposed to go into the Expedition but life got in the way. A decent offer would secure it and I am absolutely certain it works fine in a Vilvo!

Geo

I'll be back on the weekend, I'd like to see it. This may kill several birds with one stone.

Sounds good, back on the 4 or 5pm cheap sailing Saturday. Available pretty much anytime next week till Sat then off again for another 2 weeks jaunt to a Habitat build in Nw. Wa State. Probably hit the Fair in Puyallup while there.

Sorry to hear about your decision re the Rig. What plans for excitement do you have now? Maybe I could rent the pad beside your place, I will pay xtra for meals.

Let me know. If I get it, I'd need time to have it installed. Most of these radio store locations aren't geared up for bigger trucks.

What I'm after is hands free phone and instructions from laptop with Microsoft Streets and trips voice commands. Also I have Sirius radio as well which comes thru on 105.9 fm.

R

What is a blurtooth? Is it something new out I don't know about, how do I get it (one)?

Fire department drivers have headsets with active noise canceling.......

I've spent most of my life with a headset on and they work very well for the hearing impaired.....the downside is that when you are driving you need to be able to hear the those geezers in the HDT's tooting the train horns........

Might consider a one-ear-muff headset like the NFL coaches wear..........

Drive on.........(silence is........no sound system.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I used to have a Recaro seat that had speakers in the headrest. You could keep the volume quite low and still clearly hear music easily even with the convertible top down.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Geo

Is a "head unit" earphones?

My Volvo has a "head unit" which is the radio visible in the dash. This head unit feeds a power amplifier in the storage above the passengers head. His then feeds all the speakers including the subwoofer under the passenger side workstation storage.

Changing the head unit to something more modern is not expensive but gets you all the modern goodies and much better sound quality.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

I use a set of separate amplified speakers for my PC in the truck.

Among numerous other things, one big feature is that the PC speakers stays on at a clear level when the radio get muted when the CoPilot is on the phone. Navigation takes precedence over talking.

Navigation Computer Speakers

DAAAA!!! I should have checked your website.

At the 2014 HDT Rally, you showed me your computer GPS system, in your HDT, and gave me some fantastic ideas. BTW, I m using the USB/GPS "antenna" that you recommended. Actually, I am using the next generation to yours. It works great and has never lost the GPS signal. The one that came with Windows Streets and Maps would lose the signal far too often.

If we make it to the 2015 Rally, I would like you to take a look at my GPS system. It is still a "wok in progress." since you have "been there done that," you comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

It took me half an hour to type up a post and then somehow dumped it so this one will be shorter. Telex makes aviation headset. Mine was the 5x5 pro3. It had one earpiece. I took the audio canal that comes with the headset and had it molded into one of the earpieces from a set of DB Blockers. The setup comes with a boom mic. The idea being both you and the passenger plug into the dash and carry on a normal conversation. When instructions come from Navigation they temporarily cut out the intercom so you can get the nav instructions. The advantage of this system is the voice goes directly into the boom mic then into your ear with no outside ambient noise. There would be no shouting needed.

DB blockers are available at most hearing aid stores or even Costco. Costs vary from 50$ a pair up to 100 ish.

They were a good system 30 yrs ago, the could only have improved since then.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/aviation-headsets/telex-headsets/telex-5-x-5-pro-iii-headset.html

http://www.protectear.com/us/contact/

Not sure which ear has the problem or if it is both, but if you have to have speakers cranked up, it may be too loud for the passenger. There is no doubt in my mind this would work. Cost back in the '80s was about $300. Pretty much the same now.

A regular headset with 2 cups would not be a good idea as you would not be able hear emergency vehicles as easily.

Jim Dromi

It took me half an hour to type up a post and then somehow dumped it so this one will be shorter. Telex makes aviation headset. Mine was the 5x5 pro3. It had one earpiece. I took the audio canal that comes with the headset and had it molded into one of the earpieces from a set of DB Blockers. The setup comes with a boom mic. The idea being both you and the passenger plug into the dash and carry on a normal conversation. When instructions come from Navigation they temporarily cut out the intercom so you can get the nav instructions. The advantage of this system is the voice goes directly into the boom mic then into your ear with no outside ambient noise. There would be no shouting needed.

DB blockers are available at most hearing aid stores or even Costco. Costs vary from 50$ a pair up to 100 ish.

They were a good system 30 yrs ago, the could only have improved since then.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/aviation-headsets/telex-headsets/telex-5-x-5-pro-iii-headset.html

http://www.protectear.com/us/contact/

Not sure which ear has the problem or if it is both, but if you have to have speakers cranked up, it may be too loud for the passenger. There is no doubt in my mind this would work. Cost back in the '80s was about $300. Pretty much the same now.

A regular headset with 2 cups would not be a good idea as you would not be able hear emergency vehicles as easily.

The only problem though Roger, with all those audio sources going into and out of the headset, they would need an intercom unit and an audio mix panel. Not majorly expensive, but something to consider. You could possibly get by without the audio panel, but then it is not so easy to balance the audio signal going to the headsets.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Good idea, your hired. Money is no object here.

It's a starting point, every good idea is an improvement on its predecessor. With all the whizbangs here, there must be a way of doing this. I wonder if there is even a way of having the comset in one ear and a hearing aid in the other.

If this was to work in some form it would save him having to turn his head in the direction of the voice and having possibly to have it repeated. Air is not the best medium for sound travel.

Back on the road today, Mr Volvo has new fancy shifter, as well as ac....not that I need it now.

Snow in Alberta today.

Archived