Looking at HDT need help

Not Quite Yet

I have been registered for a while just lurking in the tall weeds and now we are thinking about venturing over to the "Dark Side" :-)

(Kinda about half way, partly, semi retired)

I currently tow with F350 and after a trip through the Northwest (from Texas to Seattle and back) pulling a loaded cargo trailer I have decided that this will not be enough truck to get'er done. So, in saying that I have been looking on the inter web I have located a possibility, but not sure about the super single. Are they more expensive, does it save weight, how hard is it to go back to duals. It is cummins powered, auto shift, 500K plus a few miles. I didn't know if this would be one to pursue.

Super single are ~$900 vs $600 x 2 for duals. They do save weight. The issue is, was the truck a "true" super single truck with an extended axle or is a conversion that's harder on wheel bearings? With "our" weights it's not as critical but you need to do your homework if singling is in your future. FWIW i'm looking at a similar set-up.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I would not turn away from super singles. You probably will only buy tires 1 time.

Tires age out in 6 to 7 years, unless you don't plan to keep it that long you will buy more than (1) set of tires.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

another disadvantage with super singles is you dont have as good of traction that you would have with duals

Go-forward traction is the same until you change the axle count or tire rubber compound. Stopping traction is the same until you change the tire rubber compound.

The only exception might be on ice: unchained duals might help you find a non-icy spot that unchained super singles didn't find, but I suspect most HDTers here have set the parking brake long before they'd be in that situation.

Go-forward traction is the same until you change the axle count or tire rubber compound. Stopping traction is the same until you change the tire rubber compound.

The only exception might be on ice: unchained duals might help you find a non-icy spot that unchained super singles didn't find, but I suspect most HDTers here have set the parking brake long before they'd be in that situation.

We disagree some what. Tread pattern, tire contact patch, weight on the axle and type of surface make a difference too. Most super singles we havie seen do not have an aggressive tread pattern as that hurts fuel mileage. As such if you get on wet grass you may just sit and spin. A set of duals with a steer tire type of tread pattern will probably do the same but a set of duals with an aggressive tread pattern may be able to dig in depending on weight on the axle.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived