Sea legs from air seat use?

CrazyCooter

After spending 14 hours in the seat over the past few days, I'm noticing a weird sensation like I'm gaining or loosing height while standing in one spot! Even feels like my legs are bending it the same time. Sometimes I notice it while sitting in the office chair........

Anyone else had this happen or am I just crazy?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

We can always tell a new driver at work.

They always

1) lock out the oscillating part of the seat. ( seat rocks back and forth)

2) they run the air ride seat all the way at the top full air pressure.

After you drive along time you learn to run only enough air in the seat to keep it from bouncing off the floor when you hit a bump.

And most definitely leave the oscillating part on.

When I was younger I used to get very seasick even on a boat in a bay.

My first few times riding in the big truck made me a little nauseous when I was a kid from the seat moving.

After 34 years of driving no more seasickness or land sickness if you want to call it.

And I can take our 20 foot boat out into rough water without any problem at all.

Grumps had a couple of 1955 KW log trucks that had "Spring-Knee-Action driver seats..........when I rode "Shotgun" the "Passenger" seat was a BIG toolbox (FULL of tools) with a "Horse-Hair" "Padded" (slightly..... padded) hinged tool-box lid.

One day we had a load of logs on and were rounding a long sweeping bend in a two-lane highway at about 45 MPH when..........all of a sudden a Bug-Eyed-Sprite came around the corner towards us in our lane..........

Grumps swerved over on to the shoulder and the front right steer wheel dug into the shoulder HARD and the front drive axle sheared off and the rear driver climbed over the front drivers.........the ole KW started rolling over and the logs jumped up out of the bunks and pushed the headache rack into the back of the cab. When my passenger door hit the ground the right side windshield pop out and I flew out behind the windshield to bump my chin on the front KW radiator round chrome trim.........(as usual I had my mouth open ......and when I stopped sliding I had scooped a mouth full of dirt). The only way out was to crawl back thru the windshield opening and then push the driver open and then Grumps pushed me up thru the driver door and then I pulled hard to help Grumps out of the opening. We were standing on the side of the truck and the dust was still so thick you could not see the ground. finally I jumped down and Grumps stumbled down.

Grumps staggered back to the trailer and sat on one of the tires but it was still turning and it threw him to the ground.......as he was getting up all of a sudden out of the dust cloud came a Forest Service scaler and helped Grumps to his feet and said "what happened".........Grumps grinned and said "Oh....He_l that damn new spring seat did NOT smooth the "bumps" as good as the salesman said it would".........

That day both of us walked a bit funny after getting "out" of the ole KW..........

Drive on.........(ALL wheels on the ground....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Funny story Dolly.......You must be full of them. Keep them coming!

I guess I'll get used to it over time. I'm thinking the cab needs shocks because I can bounce it by hand pretty easy. 680K and they look original with the matching paint on them.

I might have to look at the copilot seat. The wife gets car sick and I would like to see if we can lock it up if needed.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Every seat is different.

On some the lever you use to slide the seat forward and back. If you move the lever to the right it's slides the seat forward and back. if you pull the lever to the left it locks or unlocks the oscillating.

Other seats will have a very small leaver on the side of the seat that will rotate clockwise or counterclockwise rotate it one way it locks rotated the other way it unlocks.

Putting more air in the seat or letting it out. Will stop the seat from bouncing but not very comfortable. You can also check the shock on

the seat some have two and make sure they're not worn out. I took my shocks off to to make it ride better.

I also put in what they call Lowrider seats.

The seat base is much shorter putting your rear end closer to the floor. My wife is not short but it helps her to be able to put her legs more straight out not feel like she was sitting in the kitchen chair.

I did just order a foot rest for the wife so her legs aren't dangling under her with the seat at a good height.

Got a ton of work done on the truck this week and this weekend is interior cleanup time and find out everything about the inside of the cab.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I vary my seat height during a long drive. It keeps the juices flowing gooder. As long as my seat doesn't bottom, or top out, I'm good.

We took an old bathroom throw rug and folded it so that my bride's feet would rest flat on the floor. It made a huge difference in how long she can ride.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I use my folding step for my wife. Her legs don't quite reach the ground when sitting in the passenger seat. I put the back two legs of the step out and leave the front two legs folded and place the step in the foot well in front of the passenger seat. I works just right for my wife. I was going to build something to put in there, but I already had the folding step and it worked so well I never got around to building anything more permanent.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Chad, you are probably where I got the idea from. I just remembered seeing a step on the passenger side floor somewhere.

Good to see you found a truck. I hope to see it in Reno at the WCR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It's looking like everything is coming together pretty well.

Found the oscillating lever last night. Ride is improved much with it unlocked!

Cool just takes a little getting used to. Try playing with the air pressure in the seat also.

Just like being on a boat you got to learn how to float and roll with it don't fight the waves.

Driving with the oscillating unlocked just takes a little practice. You will learn to plant your feet or heels on the floor and allow the rest of your body to just float with the seat.

Y'all should come ride in my 4x4 farm tractor. Don't realize how much the air seat moves until you sit on the buddy seat (fixed) and realize the air seat is going up and down and sideways and front and back and.... Then if the tractor decides to power hop your air seat tries to do the James Bond ejection seat thing!

The newest seats in farm tractors are active...they actually use sensors and rams to move the seat to keep it still (relatively) while the tractor jounces. Awesome improvement. Has anybody applied this tech to OTR tractors yet?

Dolly--I'm glad you are still alive. Sounds like a very nasty situation. And I suppose the BUG swerved and went right on past and never stopped. The fact that your "Grumps" sat down on a spinning tire though, thats a hoot! I can just see it!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

The newest seats in farm tractors are active...they actually use sensors and rams to move the seat to keep it still (relatively) while the tractor jounces. Awesome improvement. Has anybody applied this tech to OTR tractors yet?

Check out Bose seats

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived