Any Nurses Full Timing?

xdragr

Hey there,

My husband, myself, and our three children are desperately trying to make our full timing dreams come true! Our only real concern is the whole "need to earn a living part" of the whole deal, lol. I'm a registered nurse with a Master's degree and he's a mail carrier. His work, is not something he can take with him. My career in itself is pretty mobile, but I don't currently work so, I don't have the ability to work on the road per say. Are there any nurses here that use their licenses on the road?

I am a welder and my wife is an RN. We tried this at first. Most of my work is short term and we move to next job. Here RN job was not flexible enough for us both to work. She retired and I continue working.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I work in the management side of healthcare via computer while I am on the road and not an RN. But I have met a nurse who did chart reviews on the road for an insurance company. I believe she was required to be in one particular state for a period of time to maintain her license in that state. I wonder if traveling nurse agencies would be able to help you out.

I have been interested in how traveling nurses that work with these agencies find health insurance that covers them in network as they travel from state to state. I find if I explain my travels similar to a traveling nurse insurance companies pay more attention than if I say I travel in my RV and work via computer.

Travel Nursing is a great way to see the country. Many years ago, before we were RVers, my wife worked as a Traveling Nurse. The company we used was TravCorps. I don't know the details now but we have heard that they do offer RV possibilities. They were offering a stipend for those who arranged their own accommodations. At the time we used their provided apartments and were very pleased with them.

Google "Traveling Nurse Agencies" and give a bunch a call. We had a ball. The thing was, the first place they sent us was Austin, TX. We loved it so much, we tried a couple other locations but ended up returning to Austin for the remainder of our careers.

I just worked for Kelly and Manpower for the short stints. I did a stint with the IT department of the Texas Attorney General. When we returned to Austin I got a full time position at the same place so we ended up with two great careers.

My daughter will graduate with her RN next May. We are promoting the traveling concept to her. If you want to be mobile, I cannot think of a better way for a RN. Good Luck!!!!

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I work in the management side of healthcare via computer while I am on the road and not an RN. But I have met a nurse who did chart reviews on the road for an insurance company. I believe she was required to be in one particular state for a period of time to maintain her license in that state. I wonder if traveling nurse agencies would be able to help you out.

I have been interested in how traveling nurses that work with these agencies find health insurance that covers them in network as they travel from state to state. I find if I explain my travels similar to a traveling nurse insurance companies pay more attention than if I say I travel in my RV and work via computer.

Thanks for the reply! I would love to get into something via my computer but I am finding it extremely hard to get on anywhere! I have management as well quality experience, but can't seem to find anyone who really is hiring, and when I do, I just never get a follow up. May I ask you what company you work for? If that's too private, that's ok, would you mind recommending some companies to me? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Travel Nursing is a great way to see the country. Many years ago, before we were RVers, my wife worked as a Traveling Nurse. The company we used was TravCorps. I don't know the details now but we have heard that they do offer RV possibilities. They were offering a stipend for those who arranged their own accommodations. At the time we used their provided apartments and were very pleased with them.

Google "Traveling Nurse Agencies" and give a bunch a call. We had a ball. The thing was, the first place they sent us was Austin, TX. We loved it so much, we tried a couple other locations but ended up returning to Austin for the remainder of our careers.

I just worked for Kelly and Manpower for the short stints. I did a stint with the IT department of the Texas Attorney General. When we returned to Austin I got a full time position at the same place so we ended up with two great careers.

My daughter will graduate with her RN next May. We are promoting the traveling concept to her. If you want to be mobile, I cannot think of a better way for a RN. Good Luck!!!!

Thank you! I'll check out TravCorps! I don't mind working, I just wish I could find something! lol

Thanks everyone! Just having someone to chat with helps so much! My husband and I are so excited yet scared at the same time! We want to show our babies the U.S. but we also have to make sure we have our ducks in a row because its not just us to take care of! Our three tikes have to be secure too :)

Get with an agency. Interview them. You want one that will take care of everything.

Thanks Ron. We definitely plan on doing that. I of course would love to be able to work remotely. I know there are jobs out there. I just cant seem to find them.

I work for a small independent hospice where I used to be the CEO so it is kind of a one of a kind opportunity. And I am working myself out of a job as I train my replacement and head toward my retirement career.

If you go on health insurance company website like United Healthcare and in the job search engine type telecommute you may find some jobs.

Good luck

My ex was an ER nurse and we (she) planned to work for a travel nurse agency and RV full time. Her Texas nursing license (turned into a "compact" agreement license) was instantly good in 30-35 states if I remember correctly. She had friends that also rv'ed and worked. So yes, you can work on the road. You may have to go to the work, rather than it being right where you are, and want it to be, but with a little research with your empoyer you should be able to plan your moves and jobs.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1Rod a member here does it. You might contact him, he's been doing it for years.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Hi, I just retired as a RN on a neuroscience floor at the end of February. We are in the process of selling our house and going fulltime rv. I am 56 and right now I don't expect to work again although I have considered the option of maybe doing travel nursing after two years. I have not looked at anything carefully but if you would work as a floor nurse the opportunities seem pretty good. Just when I was retiring one of our new floor nurses decided to try the travel nursing life. He applied to an agency (can't remember which one) and the next thing you know he was packing up to move to Florida. All of us, sitting in the dead of the Michigan winter, were pretty shocked and envious how fast he pulled that off. He has now finished his Florida stint and is signed up next to go to Alaska. He is taking a couple months off in between. Nice huh? I don't know the particulars. He said the money was equivalent even though he worked less. He got a housing allowance. I don't know what they do on health insurance although if I recall right he is technically employed by the agerncy so he could get health care through them.

Dave and Lana Hasper

This may or may not play into this as I'm Canadian but Oil Rigs and logging camps as well as remote sports fishing locations need Medics. Pay runs the whole scale but Rig medics make decent money plus expenses. Level in BC is called OFA level 3 plus another couple of add on endorsement. Prep for transport, generally by helicopter, spineboard, oxygen, bagvalve mask, aed. Generally figure you will be outside of the golden hour. For rig work add H2s, confined space, Whimis. Some firms will bring you up to speed on the endorsements as they can be specific to the firm or location.

Like SAR, 90% boredom and 10% terror, things are generally very minor or very major.

Could be the same in the US, Texas, the Dakotas.

Maybe it doesn't happen in the US but people do stupid things up here.

On edit, large construction projects, malls etc, always have someone on site for first aid. These projects can go on for 1 or 2 yrs or more. The general contractor my keep you if you are prepared to go to another location. Also Temporary Labour suppliers want medics and or Nursed on their list.

Sherri:

You may want to consider becoming a medical coder. My wife is an RN with a BSN. She has been doing medial coding for the last three years.

In October of this year, the country is changing over to the world standard (ICD 10) from ICD 9. So all coders are currently getting certified in ICD 10 and practicing for it. Taking a coding class and getting certified is not very expensive.

A nursing background is very helpful for this field. Many coding jobs can be done remotely; all you need is a good internet connection and a laptop.My wife currently codes remotely one day a week from our home or our RV.

We are planning on going full-time in 2017 and she will code full-time from our RV.

Dave

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

Coding is actually an interesting job and I found it kind of fun. I learned just enough to help automate a doctor's office and get the staff up to speed on the computers.

Only real downside was working for doctors that learned to write in Chinese many years before they learned to write in English... Ohhhh my poor eyes!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived