"The Dark Side We Have Fun"

Radar274

Phil I hope it's alright to quote you? You have all been of great help! What a fun ride it has been! The story starts as most of yours did: DW wants a larger fifth 26ft not big enough. Well (you all know that story)--- so settle on 39ft MS weighing 14,500 dry! Get on the Internet and search what to do with 7.3 dually 6 speed manual. I Did it all, "We Have Fun" building it up!! The truth is, the only thing that saved my a_s was the manual trans. Now the "We Have Fun" is just starting - convincing the DW she needs an HDT. She asked, what does HDT mean? You respond H is for Heavy, D is for Duty and T is for Truck, I think she bought it LOL! But then she responses with, why do we needed an HDT when we already own a Ford Super Duty Truck? Oh know, how am I going to answer this one? Well their is only one way "We Have Fun"!

Next: We find a truck in ND and use a Michigan Volvo dealer we know to purchase the truck, thinking it might be easier with tittle and registration. I Sent the money almost 4 weeks ago. How many times do you think the DW asked, where is It? But "We are having Fun Now"!!!!

Next:------------We need insurance------got it, paid for it, but then--- they canceled 2 days later.. but "We Have Fun".

The title finally comes, I found an insurance company and went off with the dealer to get temp plate and new title. I had all the paper work needed to register as HM hoping we could get this all done at once! We walk in the DMV office and pulled the tab with the # on it, it was #78, looked over at the screen and they where working on #14 but "We Have Fun". We waited and waited until they called #78 U are next. The dealer I was with said if we get the person at the end it will all go smooth. Well... we got someone else, I said no problem, I have all the paper work we need, we will get it done. Long story short didn't even try to register as HM, just got the Temp Plate but "WHF".

Next: Lets do this right and get trip and fuel permits and use cdl friend as driver. Fax all the info to Jets so they can check the route and get all the permits we need. The phone ring's, it's Jets, they need my Dot#.....Don't have one, then you will not be able to get the permits "WHF".

So now I know why it is Mandatory to crossover to the "Dark Side" when you purchase the HDT. My Route home that was going to take 12 hours going thru 10 scales with my permits must now be changed. The new route is beautiful but 17 hours long I will be taking lots of pictures. The Mackinac bridge will be the only scary part of the trip.

Wish me luck "We Sure Have Fun" don't we

Bob

post-51394-0-97207900-1432814968_thumb.jpg

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Welcome to the dark side. Most of us just picked up our trucks and drove home. Mine was already registered as a rv so it was easy. If you have more problems with insurance check out blue sky

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Welcome to the dark side. Most of us just picked up our trucks and drove home. Mine was already registered as a rv so it was easy. If you have more problems with insurance check out blue sky

Thanks Ronbo National is the one that canceled had to be singled and plumbing. We added it to our farm policy until it is singled, then I think we are ok.

bob

Bob&Kay

I live in NC, purchased in Oregon. I had to send Brother in law to pick it up due to an injury. He overnighted the title(registered as RV already) and took off. DW registered and insured it, took pic of plate and sent him the pic. He was only stopped once and showing proof of ins and tag he was set free to continue his journey. no scales, log book or anything else to do commercially.

Radar...welcome to the darkside :) And feel free to quote me all you want

Looking forward to some pictures.........

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil I hope it's alright to quote you? You have all been of great help! What a fun ride it has been! The story starts as most of yours did: DW wants a larger fifth 26ft not big enough. Well (you all know that story)--- so settle on 39ft MS weighing 14,500 dry! Get on the Internet and search what to do with 7.3 dually 6 speed manual. I Did it all, "We Have Fun" building it up!! The truth is, the only thing that saved my a_s was the manual trans. Now the "We Have Fun" is just starting - convincing the DW she needs an HDT. She asked, what does HDT mean? You respond H is for Heavy, D is for Duty and T is for Truck, I think she bought it LOL! But then she responses with, why do we needed an HDT when we already own a Ford Super Duty Truck? Oh know, how am I going to answer this one? Well their is only one way "We Have Fun"!

Next: We find a truck in ND and use a Michigan Volvo dealer we know to purchase the truck, thinking it might be easier with tittle and registration. I Sent the money almost 4 weeks ago. How many times do you think the DW asked, where is It? But "We are having Fun Now"!!!!

Next:------------We need insurance------got it, paid for it, but then--- they canceled 2 days later.. but "We Have Fun".

The title finally comes, I found an insurance company and went off with the dealer to get temp plate and new title. I had all the paper work needed to register as HM hoping we could get this all done at once! We walk in the DMV office and pulled the tab with the # on it, it was #78, looked over at the screen and they where working on #14 but "We Have Fun". We waited and waited until they called #78 U are next. The dealer I was with said if we get the person at the end it will all go smooth. Well... we got someone else, I said no problem, I have all the paper work we need, we will get it done. Long story short didn't even try to register as HM, just got the Temp Plate but "WHF".

Next: Lets do this right and get trip and fuel permits and use cdl friend as driver. Fax all the info to Jets so they can check the route and get all the permits we need. The phone ring's, it's Jets, they need my Dot#.....Don't have one, then you will not be able to get the permits "WHF".

So now I know why it is Mandatory to crossover to the "Dark Side" when you purchase the HDT. My Route home that was going to take 12 hours going thru 10 scales with my permits must now be changed. The new route is beautiful but 17 hours long I will be taking lots of pictures. The Mackinac bridge will be the only scary part of the trip.

Wish me luck "We Sure Have Fun" don't we

Bob

Now you gotta come to the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson. We Have Fun!

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Thanks for the invite! We would love to meet U All (that's as southern as a Yankee can get) but unfortunately the event we volunteer for is the same week. Hopefully next year.

Bob

Bob&Kay

Wow, I certainly feel for you. I went to the DMV office told them I was buying a 2006 Peterbilt 387 that I planned on registering as an RV. I handed them $32 and they handed me a temp tag for 10 days to get it home. When I got home I went to the office, they came and looked at the vin and weights, saw the inverter, fridge, microwave and shore power connection, air lines removed and we went back in the office. I paid taxes for an RV which is the same as for regular vehicles (3%) my RV registration fee ($105) per year and they handed me an RV plate...She says great looking combo, have a nice day! I say: thank you I will!

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

Thanks Ronbo National is the one that canceled had to be singled and plumbing. We added it to our farm policy until it is singled, then I think we are ok.

bob

Ditto here with National.They tried to cancel us after several years of coverage. Must have hired bunch of insurance newbies. Sent them a picture of the singled rig (singled from the beginning) and they immediately reinstated the coverage.

Thanks for the invite! We would love to meet U All (that's as southern as a Yankee can get) but unfortunately the event we volunteer for is the same week. Hopefully next year.

Bob

U All should be spelt and pronunced as "Y'all" .... ;)

As in "you all" ,comeonoverhereandgivemeahand :wacko:

Or also as in "y'all ain't gonna believe this" :lol:

Welcome to the Dark Side B)

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

U All should be spelt and pronunced as "Y'all" .... ;)

As in "you all" ,comeonoverhereandgivemeahand :wacko:

Or also as in "y'all ain't gonna believe this" :lol:

Welcome to the Dark Side B)

Thanks-----See what an education U can get as a member of the Dark Side

Bob&Kay

Thanks-----See what an education U can get as a member of the Dark Side

Math was my game, English was always marginal, So lets try it again---- "See what an education "y'all" can get as a member of the Dark Side

Bob&Kay

And as for quoting Phil we do it all the time. I even have been known to quote him for things he did not say.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

People have been saying "I heard you said...." for stuff I didn't remember saying and that was way too nice for me to have said it. I thought I was mellowing in my old age and getting senile too. Now I know the truth, it's been YOU all this time. Oh thank goodness..... :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

HI RADAR 272 (BOB)

Welcome to the dark side!! WE'ALL wish you a pleasant and Safe ride!

If your in MI. perhaps you might be able to come to the HDT ECR held in Crossville, TN. Next years

date is April 9th.-16th. 2016. This year we had over 30 rigs in attendance, a truly great event!

We look forward to seeing you and the Dear Wife and spending time together.

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

roadfitter Just landed... all is well, 17 hours of driving, 15.4 mpg and very shagged. Will try to post some pic's tomorrow. We are always in Lexington Ky when the HDT ECR takes place, so next year we will try to met up with all of you.

Can't wait to meet "Y'ALL"

Bob

Bob&Kay

Howdy, I'm new to this forum, though we have been on the road six months a year for nine years. We started out with an F350, moved up to a Freightliner FL60 five years ago and this year singled a 2010 Volvo 730. Of course our trailers increased in size each time. We singled long and had large storage bins built where the front tandem axle and wheels were. The bed is decked with aluminum diamond plate and is capable of holding a car. We are getting better mileage than the FL 60 did by 1.5 mpg, but nothing like the 15mpg that Bob got with his 730 when bob tailing. We have the D13 engine and the twelve gear "I" shift. 15 mpg would be a 50% increase in mileage and a huge savings in fuel, even when just bob tailing.

My wife, Rodeane, and I have lived in Glendale, Arizona for long enough to have paid off our house about the time we retired. Our landscaping is appropriate for the low desert and on an automatic drip system, so about May 1st we turn on the alarm system and leave till November. Most years we hang out on the Oregon coast till the sideways rains start and then head to Moab, Utah, Rodeane's favorite place. This year we decided to head for the Yukon, specifically Whitehorse and Dawson. We may go into Alaska but we'll probably stay north of the Alaska Range where it's sunny. Anchorage, Seward and the Kenai Penensula can be drizzly all summer. We are now in the Denver area visiting family. We start north again Wednesday, June 3rd.

I don't know how or where to post photos, but when I find out I'll post some photos of the converted truck.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

John:

Hit the "More reply options" button in the lower right corner. Then you can chose files (compress them first) to attach. Then insert them into the text. Or yo can do what a lot of others do and link to a Photobucket. etc account.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived