Lifetime Maps Update for GPS

SuiteSuccess

I have the Rand McNally RV 7730 GPS with the lifetime free map updates. I spoke with Rand McNally and found out the update uses about 5Gb of data each update. Our internet provider is Verizon via the Jetpak and we only have 20Gb per month. May want to consider this where and when you choose to update if you have a similar Internet provider.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

This is definitely an issue. I wait until I get to my son's house to download that much data. They have DSL and unlimited data and I can let it run all night.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Parking in front of / behind a Verizon store would be a good bet AS LONG AS you do NOT use your Jet Pack. Have your laptop / tablet / GPS unit connect DIRECTLY to the Verizon store's WiFi network. If you go through your Jet Pack, you will likely be charged for whatever amount of data you download.

I have the Rand McNally RV 7730 GPS with the lifetime free map updates. I spoke with Rand McNally and found out the update uses about 5Gb of data each update. Our internet provider is Verizon via the Jetpak and we only have 20Gb per month. May want to consider this where and when you choose to update if you have a similar Internet provider.

There is something wrong with this picture. I updated both my 7720 and 7730 on the same day while in Florida this past winter via my iPhone and Verizon. The update was through the RVND Dock software and included both firmware and maps. My data usage for the entire month was slightly over 7Gb on a 10Gb plan. The 7Gb included daily internet access and streaming one 2hr movie from Netflix. Either the rep at Rand McNally was wrong or Verizon isn't counting data usage correctly.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

There is something wrong with this picture. I updated both my 7720 and 7730 on the same day while in Florida this past winter via my iPhone and Verizon. The update was through the RVND Dock software and included both firmware and maps. My data usage for the entire month was slightly over 7Gb on a 10Gb plan. The 7Gb included daily internet access and streaming one 2hr movie from Netflix. Either the rep at Rand McNally was wrong or Verizon isn't counting data usage correctly.

Randy,

Was hoping you would respond since I know you have had involvement with RM. I can only go by what tech support told me. DW was sitting beside me and we were both extremely surprised. I can't afford to use 25% of my data plan on one update. Any suggestions on how I could find the real answer rather than "trial and error"? Google wasn't helpful and I need to update before an upcoming trip.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I can't speak to the RM. The last Garmin we bought used over 4 GB to update right out of the box. I was very surprised. We are waiting until we get to our spons to do an update on it.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

• 1 month later...

Well updated my Rand McNally and checked data usage before and after on Verizon website. We did nothing else on the internet the day I uploaded just so I could verify and sure enough took 4.3 gigs of data to update with the Jetpak. If anyone else does this and gets different data please post as this consumed 20% of my monthly plan. Don't know why the discrepancy with what Randy did.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived