Oregon registration

Norman69

Acoording to the DMV website (person on phone was no help), to be considered an RV you only need "permanent sleeping and cooking facilities". Is it really that easy? Anyone with personal experience dealing with the Oregon DMV regarding HDT's ? Any Oregonians had problems with out of state troopers/DOT while driving their HDT with only a class C license?

Any Oregonians had problems with out of state troopers/DOT while driving their HDT with only a class C license?

What sort of problems are you asking about? If Oregon says you can drive your vehicle with a Class C, and you are an Oregon licensed driver, what is the issue? Be prepared to answer the questions from an out of state trooper and you shouldn't have a problem......as long as you are truly recreational and not trying to skirt the regs.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

What sort of problems are you asking about? If Oregon says you can drive your vehicle with a Class C, and you are an Oregon licensed driver, what is the issue? Be prepared to answer the questions from an out of state trooper and you shouldn't have a problem......as long as you are truly recreational and not trying to skirt the regs.

What are you talking about willis?

Off topic, big5er knows!!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Oregon DMV has been used to processing Motor homes for decades since thousands of MH's have been built at Monico, Marithon, Beaver and several companies have and had plants in Oregon.

Freightliner claims to be the largest builder of diesel motor home chassis in the world, and Freightliner's home was in Portland.

Often Oregon DMV may process tens or even hundred Motor home applications per DAY so they just consider conversion of a truck into a Motor home just another days normal paper work and they also love the $$$$ (fees and more fees).

Freightliner has been good to Oregon, and Oregon has been good to trucks ( and Oregon loves the truck $$$.... fees).

Motor homes have been good for Oregon, and Oregon has been good for Motor homes ( and Oregon loves the Motor home $$$....fees).

Below is the steps needed to process a Vehicle into a motor home .....pasted from the OR DMV website.

Just another day at the OR DMV.............(don't forget to bring $$$$$$$$$.....)

Motor home Definition

A vehicle that has been designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation, i.e., permanent sleeping and cooking facilities. This includes permanently mounted campers on pickup trucks or other truck frames.
To Qualify
  • To qualify for motor home registration, the vehicle must meet the definition supplied in the section above.
  • In order to register any vehicle in Oregon, including a motor home, you must meet Oregon's residency requirements.
To Apply
Fees
  • $77 title fee if submitting an application for title (changing ownership information).
  • Motor home registration fees are calculated according to length, using the Motor Home Schedule of Registration Fees (Form 735-465), any fractions will be rounded down to the full foot.
  • Motor homes may not exceed 45 feet in length.
  • If a motor home exceeds 45 feet in length, it cannot be registered. Motor homes are registered for a two-year period.
  • $24 plate fee required if the vehicle does not already have plates (also see registration fee page for plate fees).
  • $5 fee if you are replacing or changing plates at the time of registration renewal.
  • $10 fee if you are replacing or changing plates between registration renewal periods.

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We have a Volvo 610 registered as a motorhome in Oregon. It's been quite a few years but cooking, sleeping, shore power, toilet and refrigerator were mentioned as I recall. I highly recommend you speak to somebody in Salem DMV to get the list of requirements and be sure to get their name and number. I had to refer the Prineville, Oregon DMV clerk to this resource as they had no idea about the state laws. Once they talked to Salem the Volvo was done in an hour with no inspection.

1999 Volvo 610 Detroit 12.7, 4.70, 10 speed, 40' Teton

Too many motorcycles and not enough time

www.shredx.net

Ok, fwiw, have as many answers to your questions done outside the dmv. Then, when you go in to register the truck as an rv, just go thru the process without asking questions. Questions when at the office, will confuse things and delay your registration..........quite possibly.

Oregon is quite lax about inspecting for the printed requirements. Usually, they just take your word for it as long as the vin# matches a sleeper truck. However..............................as I have talked to a couple higher ups in the motor carrier division (carrier, not vehicle) it will be up to the leo that pulls you over to interpret any "grey areas" of the printed law. At that point, it is best that you have 4 of the 6 requirements in your truck.

If you are an Oregon resident, use the webiste "askODOT.com" I have used the service many times and it has been a great value. I left my phone number a couple times, and they actually called me that day with the answers.

You will have to conform to some out of state laws like triple towing or oa length laws. But if you are an Oregon resident, with an Oregon license, and driving an Oregon plated rv, you only have to conform to Oregon's laws regarding the type of license or the required amenities in the truck. But confirm all answers anywhere with Oregon, and especially if possible, use the ask odot website.

IMO.

I'm a work'n on it.

Dtrolley, bjarm, and Dsmoke... thank you. That is what I was looking for. Being new to the HDT RV world, straight forword, non smart ass replies are really helpful. And FWIW, I did a search and checked the HHRV guide before I posted.

The smart ass reply was from so many not checking the Resource Guide first.

But I guess I have to add how the Full Faith Clause of the Constitution affects how states recognize the licensing of drivers and vehicles of other states.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The smart ass reply was from so many not checking the Resource Guide first.

But I guess I have to add how the Full Faith Clause of the Constitution affects how states recognize the licensing of drivers and vehicles of other states.

Why should they even look for a resource guide first? I would rather they join and ask their question, THEN someone can point to the resource guide as a valued resource. But even then, often there is too much clutter to get to the info one wants. It's quicker for someone not as familiar with the resource guide to just ask the question.

I realize many of the long time members of a board may grow tired of answering the same questions over again. This has been discussed at length on about every discussion board I've ever seen. But it takes time to get used to what a board has to offer. That, and it takes time to find what sort of ..............bend...... the members lean toward, to know if a resource guide will have anything useful in it to start with.

IMO.

It also takes time to learn what member's info is to be trusted on which topic matter. IMO. Even in the short time I've been here, I've seen some quarrels with Big5er. Thing is, his info is usually spot on on topics of legalities etc. But his delivery can sometimes be a bit abrupt which catches people wrong. :P Now that I've seen more of what he offers in many topics, I tend to read his replies word for word rather than speed read over them. So Big5er's reply here was not smart ass IMO, but he really wants to answer with factual info that requires a bit more info from the OP of the thread.

One thing in general with Oregon that I have found over the years, and I am a native Oregonian of 52 years, is that they tend to purposely leave larger grey areas to be interpreted by the leo on the scene. It can be both good and bad.

I'm a work'n on it.

Dtrolley, bjarm, and Dsmoke... thank you. That is what I was looking for. Being new to the HDT RV world, straight forword, non smart ass replies are really helpful. And FWIW, I did a search and checked the HHRV guide before I posted.

Wow, two posts on this forum and you are already complaining about the answers you received. I don't know, or care, if you meant Mark's or mine. The information you seek is out there if you bother to look for it. If you want information spoon fed to you then I guess you have to take all the answers you get, since none of the ones you got in this thread were wrong. I'll make sure to only answer intelligent questions from now on. Heaven forbid some arraogant newbie might not like a response I give.

Safe Travels.

Why should they even look for a resource guide first? I would rather they join and ask their question, THEN someone can point to the resource guide as a valued resource.

Deezl, I agree with you, but when you ask the old question and get the old answer don't come back and knock the answers you don't like. That would be rude...even for me. :)

Licensing and registration are the ONLY two things that are reciprocal from state to state. As long as you are legal in YOUR state, with those items, you are legal in every state. Plain and simple. I gave him the plain and simple answer. As long as he is properly licensed in OR, he is properly licensed everywhere else.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Break..........Everyone take a break .........Coke.......7Up........DrPepper........Soda......p0P.........BREAK

So.........I am being a Geezer in Yuma this last winter and someone wanted to see my drivers Lic.......( no, not my probation officer...) the lady hands in back and says your lucky that thing expires soon.......OMG..... her i was in a strange country (AZ) and I was about to......Expire.....

So....I call Oregon DMV and a nice lady answers the phone and I told her I was about to Expire and she said S L O W Ly don't panic tell her where I was and she would dial 911 for me...........No mam Not me but my Drivers lic was soon to expire. The lady said no problem....just give her my address and she would send a "lic-renew-package" I thanked her and we parted company.

So.......a few days later a BIG PACKAGE arrives and I open IT and it had more forms than anyone could and some forms had tto be filled out and then copied to make MORE forms...........And I had to send her a passport and utility bills, and a NEW passport picture, And a few boddy parts..........

So.........I called the OR DMV back and a man answered the phone and I told him that I got the Renewal-PACKAGE and that I wass a OLD geezer and I would likely Expire before I was able to send all the renewal items........he chuckled and said no problem he would send me a 90 day lic extension then I could just visit my local DMV office when I get back to Oregon.

So......4 days later the 90-day lic extension arrived in the mail......

Fast-foreward.........I arrive in Oregon and go to my local DMV office and fill out the one-page lic renewal form......I wait......and wait......and wait and finally they call my number and I walk up to the counter and pushed my form over to the lady.....she said "Please show me a photo-ID" so......I pulled out my Oregon Driver Lic and handed it to her..........she smiled AND the she said your license is E X P I R E D........I said yew indeed it is but I handed her my Oregon YELLOW 90-day Driver License Extension and see no problem.......... She smiled no you have a Problem and that Problem is that your Photo-ID is expired but your NON-Photo extension is still valid.......

So......I drove back home and got my VALID passport that IS a Photo-ID and then went back to the DMV office and ........waited......and waited......and waited and then they called my number I went up the the counter and gave the man a renewal form, my expired lic, my YELLOW extension AND my CURRENT Photo-ID passport..........He ask me for $40some dollars then looked at my passport photo and set my passport back on the counter........I picked up my passport and he said NO I will need to have second person verify your passport for security regs........he took my passport way down the counter to a lady that was sitting at a desk (her back to me) and he sat my passport on her desk with my renewal form.....she was talking on the phone and she initialed my renewal form without opening my passport or turning around to look at me ........

So........Don't mess with the OR DMV .....they have X-Ray vision..........and the ladies have Eyes-in-the-back-of-thier-heads....(just like my wife)...

Drive on............

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Deezl, I agree with you also, but it most certainly will be faster to look in the Resource Guide instead of waiting for someone with the answer to respond.

Shoot, even I only look at the forum every other day or so. But I don't know anything anyway in order to respond!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived