Greg's Ranger Truck

GlennWest

I have a Freedomline tranny and it has not given me any trouble in the 6 years I have driven it. There are 744K miles so far and I have no reason to believe that it will stop rolling anytime soon.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I have never read anything bad about them. They appear to be a very reliable and great working tranny. I have read many posts about no or little service for them. This is my concern because if I go down this route it will be a keeper.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

They are very good transmissions. It is just that they are no longer imported into the North American market. But you can still get repairs and parts.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've been very happy with mine, Glenn. I don't cover a lot of miles, like some of these guys do -- like you, I travel for work -- but it's always been reliable.

Six years ago the local Kenworth dealer wouldn't work on mine (the oil cooler lines were leaking, not an internal problem), but the Volvo dealer right across the road from him could, would, and did. They did a great job on it.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I also will not put a lot of miles on one. I avoid going into northern hill country now due to my truck. It may be up to task but I do feel like an ant towing my Teton. It is tall and heavy. It performed surprisingly well in the Texas hill country though. My main concern if I need service and it is a problem it will cost me a lot in lost job opportunities. Our jobs come up on sometimes days notice. Strange thing also I have emailed Greg twice about his price on this truck and no reply.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My main concern if I need service and it is a problem it will cost me a lot in lost job opportunities. Our jobs come up on sometimes days notice.

My work is the same way. I, too, have to always be ready to go on short notice.

To date, the truck hasn't cost me any jobs. The fact that I had a two-pedal transmission saved me some time and inconvenience and possibly let me keep a job that I'd been hired for, though, when I had my left knee blow out on me two days into the trip on the way to a new assignment. Had I needed to operate a clutch with my bad left knee, instead of just needing to get up into the truck and get behind the wheel, I'd have been out of commission until I found someone to drive the rest of the way, which could have cost me that assignment.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

lol. I actually have spent a lot of time on knees but that isn't what bothers them. Prayed a lot on knees. Squatting is. Those scaffold builders are always low or high. They just don't seen to ever get it right. So either standing on something or squatting and that gets me. My left knee swells and gets stiff. Hurts. So 3 pedal out of equation.

Let me begin, Greg does a first class job. I can't see putting that much in one at my age, 74k without bed. We purchased some property 2 years ago and are preparing to put a small residence on it. Very humble. All metal and concrete. I can work on a truck there in my off time from work.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Freedomline--all of the parts/service needed will be available without issue for quite some time. While the ZF-Meritor partnership is gone, and US production has been abandoned, it's still being imported and used in a good number of buses under ZF's AS-Tronic brand.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Lot of support for it in canada,never had a issue with mine save a balk when it got 'bad power'.

I was instructed by the freedomline tech at our local Volvo dealer -clean all battery connections every 30 days-

I took that to mean in commercial service, so I do it yearly .

It is a lovely box,not in the same league as a ishift but nice,forgives my many sins (pushing the neutral button on a hill)!!

ARRRGGG

Rocked the cobra head forward and it slipped into gear ,not even a sarcastic message on the drivers display.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

The Volvo dealer in Wichita claims that their mechanics are still staying current with updates and training. At least that is what they told me when I broke down in Hutch last year.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived