Jacks failing...?

rebntx

We heard a repeating clunking sound last night in our rig. It seemed to repeat every few minutes or so. Not loud, but enough for us to hear it. Sometimes louder than other times. I could not figure what was the source of the sound. The wife suddenly said, "I think the jacks are failing." The V-support I have on the front hitch seemed to have become much tighter, leading me to believe the front jacks are allowing the rig to drop ever so slightly. I plan to see if I can raise the front of the rig off the V-support and see if the rig settles/drops again.

Do jacks fail often? Anyone experienced same?

We have a 2012 Blackwood by Thor.

Any thoughts?

Hi,is it Level Up by Lippert? I bought a pair of heavy duty jack stands and use theM whenever set up, I have had the front landing gear fail and don't trust the system. Before everyone starts saying take and get it fixed, I have spent approxitmatly six months of ownership getting it fixed. Lippert has produced an inferior product and thats my opinion. So I created my own fix, I call It my (Lippert Support), i'm talking about the jack stands of course!
BobQ

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

Jacks can and do fail, but a great deal of your answer depends upon what type and brand your jacks are. From the description of the sound my guess is that yours are hydraulic and that they are leaking, either back to the reservoir or they could be leaking externally. Either one would cause a loss of the hydraulic lock that holds them extended and you would slowly creep down with jerks and noises.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My Bigfoot does the same thing. Only the rears and mostly the street side one. I reduce the weight on the jacks buy using boards under the wheels when very far out of level to stop the noise. Still something wrong but it helps for now.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

If you google 'Lipert Level up popping noise' You'll get a ton of hits like this one.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=105151

The jacks are made of dissimilar metals and expand at different rates.

I added some Torko 15W Fork oil in the reservoir. The oil is a full synthetic and has modifiers that reduce stiction.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

You can go to a reputable manufacturer of jacks and have new ones built to fit at less than half the price of any RV parts supplier. Sweco manufacturing in Sutter CA is one place I know for sure that can build any size of ram you could want.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Before you start changing parts read some of the posts you'll find when you do a google search and you'll have a much clearer picture of the system, probable causes and fixes. You have jacks that are known to pop on hard surfaces. It is well known and most times adding a small amount of the fork oil will help. Bear in mind Lippert doesn't build the jacks, anything else in the system for that matter. So before you start spending. research and save some $$$

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Thanks for all the comments. I'm still under warranty, so I'll take the comments to the dealer because often they don't know &((*^! But you guys have some great insights. I'll keep all posted as best I can.

Humor: friends and I have friendly discussions of the merits of chevy and/or dodge trucks. He pulls with a chevy and I have a dodge.

I told him of a sign I saw on the highway:

SPEED LIMIT: DODGES -- 85 MPH. CHEVYS -- DO THE BEST YOU CAN!

For anyone experiencing the popping in their Lippert Level Up system, here is Lippert's Technical Sheet for the problem.

Yep the described fix seems to have worked. I added a quart of the recommended CAT additive and haven't heard a pop since.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Archived