Maintaining TRICARE Eligibility at age 65

TxCowboy

There has been (as usual) a lot of conversation about Tricare, VA benefits, Medicare, and supplemental programs.

Saw this tidbit about TRICARE and Medicare in this month's edition of Army Echoes. Might be good information for any of us approaching age 65.

It's important to know how Medicare affects your TRICARE coverage as you approach age 65, and make your Medicare elections.

REMAINING TRICARE-ELIGIBLE If you are entitled to premium-free Medicare Part A, you must also have Medicare Part B to keep TRICARE, regardless of your age or place of residence (some exceptions are discussed in the Delaying Part B Enrollment section below). Once you have both Part A and Part B, you automatically receive TRICARE benefits under TRICARE For Life (TFL). Keeping your information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) up to date is key to ensuring effective, timely delivery of your TRICARE benefits.

Here's the link to this version of Army Echoes where the article can be found. It's a .pdf file:

http://soldierforlife.army.mil/retirement/echoes/latest.pdf

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Its really easy. Before you become 65 your Medicare card will arrive in the mail. There will be instructions on what to do if YOU DO NOT want part B. Otherwise we did nothing. 1st DR visit after 65 Ron just gave them both cards. However, You do need to get a new retired military ID card. The new card applies to your spouse when he\she also turns 65 as well. I learned this message hen getting a new card 2 weeks ago and learned I'll need another one by my birthday in August!!

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Good info guys, thanks! At 62 I'm not doing much research on medicare yet. I turned 62 last May and got my first SS deposit last June.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I think Ron's showed up a couple months out but in plenty of time to understand the process. Oh they will send you a nice fat book too

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

This helps a lot. I start Medicare in December at age 58 and now I know how to proceed

Ron if you are starting Medicare at 58 your situation may be different thgasn those of us turning 65

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

LindaThanks for the info. Linny and I are 96 and 97 days out from turning 65. Cards might be in the mail by the time we get home from HI next month.Dennis

You can get your new Military ID 60 days ahead of your birthday too. There is actually an online program now to make an appointment at the ID office of your choice. I don't have the website available right now

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

There is actually an online program now to make an appointment at the ID office of your choice. I don't have the website available right now

Here it is and it works well. Just renewed my wife's dependent ID at MacDill AFB in Tampa using this site. Made the appointment before we left Wisconsin.

https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/(S(05n5pqao5euc01oaodj3isk3))/appointment/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I am on disability so my Medicare starts in December. I am trying to decide I'd I need c or d. Currently my care is theough the va. Non-service connected.

Ate you retired??

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Ron if you are starting Medicare at 58 your situation may be different thgasn those of us turning 65

Wasn't for me. Same exact process as you mentioned.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Guess I meant retired military Ron.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Archived