4 X 4 Side-By-Side

usbusin

I know several of the HDT members have 4x4 side-by-sides. My question is: are any of them "street legal" in California?

Wife suggested we get one!

Thanks for the info.

GaryD

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

I know several of the HDT members have 4x4 side-by-sides. My question is: are any of them "street legal" in California?

Wife suggested we get one!

Thanks for the info.

GaryD

Hi Gary,

It depends on the laws in your state. You need to check with your state to see what it takes to make your side x side street legal. The biggest things you will need are the correct safety equipment. Some of the equipment that comes to mind is the following, turn signals, brake lights, rear view mirrors, safety belts, etc.. Depending on how much you ride on the street, street tires would be a big help. Taking the knobby tires off can improve your ride. Do a Google search and look for Spike TV. The show you want is Extreme 4x4. The host (Ian) of the show showed how to get your side x side to be street legal. The big thing is to get the correct plates for your side x side. That means maybe a change in the wording of your title. The areas where I ride the communities are atv friendly. That means that I can ride my side x side on the streets in that area with the equipment that came on by side x side. The big thing would be to find out from your state what it takes to be legal on the street. I hope this helps.

Good luck on your search for info,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

As of right now, a sxs or atv will never be street legal in CA. There are some who have managed to manipulate the laws by using private registration services, but when seen on the street it all comes to an end.

I ordered an ID plate for mine and it gets us around in most states that allow atv use on the street.

I had an idea to "repower" an old CJ I have laying around with the Can Am and see how that works?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Thanks, guys for the info. I don't think it is in the cards. Kalifornia will not allow side x sides to the street. A few sates will but not here.

GaryD

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

FWIW: ATVs and UTVs are street legal in most places in MT. If UTVs have a windshield, turn signals, seatbelts and can go at least 60mph, they are highway legal. They are registered as motorcycles, require a motorcycle endorsement on your license and are issued permanent tags. I may have missed a few minor requirements, but we see them all over at home in western MT in the summer - not a good winter vehicle.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT

Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL

USAF Retired

You are right about California not allowing UTVs on the street. A close second is a Suzuki sidekick or Samurai. They are awesome 4x4s and are small and economical. Then there is always Jeep but they are bigger and heavier and much harder on gas...ask me how I know.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Polaris does make a street legal side by side but its more like a cross between a motorcycle and a car. Pretty nice tho.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Touche'. Neither did I. The Japanese Kei trucks are interesting, but seem way grey-market in some areas of the US. We can get them registered and street-legal coast to coast in Canada, but not so much down there.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived